UK Watch Forum banner

any pilots on here

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Turpinr 
#1 ·
The son in law has just passed all his exams to fly a big plane's already has the little plane licenses it has cost quite a bit to do as our family and his were not born with silver spoons in our mouths we would like to buy him a pilots watch not to dear max £300.00 do they still wear them?he is tall and lanky with a small wrist any idea's would be appreciated.

Gdx6CR1l.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
ive flown a light air craft, with a friend...he has his pilots licence, its a long time ago about 1998, it was based at blackpool airport and you could control it from either side at the front, it was a prop, 4 seater. We went over to the isle of man. On another occasion we went to RAF elvington and got lost...and had to follow the road signs on the m6 motorway coming back, on that occasion i was in the back. Both up front had their licence but when it came to landing the thing only my mate could do it! And only when sat on the right (being used to a car)...so they slid their seats back and swapped over...he also had a micro light a 2 man enclosed one and the run way was basically a farmers field full of sheep, which had the sense to leg it out the way. That was up the lakes. :yes: we were more like amateurs really than pilots and should probably have never been allowed, think magnificent men in their flying machines.

#3 ·
They have gone to Florida to do some flying over there the daughter and son in law,he kept asking me to go up with him in the little one no way,my son has recently lost a very good friend who was in the Alps not so long ago and crashed into another light plane they both passed away and the other two survived only this year my wife's heart goes in to her mouth everytime he says he of out in the plane

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm fairly sure that the buyer of my O&W Early Bird was a commercial airline pilot so I guess some of them at least still have an interest in pilots watches.

Assuming your son in law is relatively young and, looking at some of those techie exams he had to pass, perhaps something like one of the Pilot's G-Shocks would be suitable?

This one's discontinued but Amazon still has a couple left:
B07GJRBNHH

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Digital-Quartz-Watch-GR-B100-1A2ER/dp/B07GJRBNHH

Reactions: bowie
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
we would like to buy him a pilots watch not to dear max £300.00 do they still wear them?
In all honesty, any watch can be a "Pilot" watch. I just wear one so I'M never late for Happy Hour.

BTW, not a bad scorecard. Will need to work a little harder on his communication skills especially when flying in congested airspace.

#7 ·
Now that @BlueKnight has commented, given he's a fly boy, can I suggest the Alpina range - they can come with an oversize crown if he finds himself in an unpressurised cabin, wearing gloves and needs to change the date :biggrin:

Some pilot heritage and he might not outgrow the brand for a few years once he's earning, well, a lot.

@bowie I bought mine from here;

https://www.jomashop.com/alpina-watch-al-371bg4s6b.html

It's dressy enough to wear out as well.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pilot watches are traditionally large so that they're easy to read at a glance (whilst flying an aeroplane!).

However, shaving a few mm. off the G-Shocks, how about the Precista Aerotimer?

Still 42mm wide though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.