• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
tick-tock-tittle-tattle

Selling on Ebay... BEWARE!!!

I thought that everyone considering selling any of the watches on Ebay should be aware that selling with even the most thorough description does not protect you from some buyers.

Lets take the often used phrase 'spares or repair' this to me lets any potential bidder know that the watch is sold with any and all existing faults and may not work. The problem comes when the buyer puts a new battery in the watch and finds that it does not work, I thought that my description of 'spares or repairs' offered me some protection as it states the watch may not work.

An Ebay buyer can demand that the seller pays for the return of the watch and then issue a refund because the watch described as 'Spares or repair' does not function.

After a discussion with someone from Ebay today I can take this scenario a little further. Lets say you sold a watch as 'not working' and the buyer gets the watch, puts a battery in it and guess what...it's not working, they can open a return case with Ebay and yet again the seller would have to pay for the watch to be returned to them and arrange a refund.

Just wated you to know that the protection which I had always thought was fair with Ebay is more fair to buyers than sellers.

Interesting, I always took “Spares and repairs” To basically mean “Knackered, broke, I probably broke it, found it for 50p at a car boot now trying to scrounge £50 on eBay......  “

• Like 1

This is a big problem also when buyers pay by paypal as they will often favour the buyer too. So if you are a genuine seller you can get stiched up pretty easily. 

Alot people know they can open a claim so becomes difficult to sell espically high value watches.

35 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Interesting, I always took “Spares and repairs” To basically mean “Knackered, broke, I probably broke it, found it for 50p at a car boot now trying to scrounge £50 on eBay......  “

I just don't understand that if you describe a watch as not working that the buyer can make a return request to Ebay as the watch is as described i.e. not working. 

What this means is that no matter you write in the description however fair and accurate that the buyer can ask for a return and refund at your cost.

9 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I just don't understand that if you describe a watch as not working that the buyer can make a return request to Ebay as the watch is as described i.e. not working. 

What this means is that no matter you write in the description however fair and accurate that the buyer can ask for a return and refund at your cost.

Joking aside your right, I always took spares and repairs to mean broke and even if it did work on arrival get it serviced.  Personally, I wouldnt buy a quartz watch that was described as that for the reason above.  I guess you could just swap out the movement but just seems too much hassle.

1 minute ago, ZenArcade said:

I guess you could just swap out the movement but just seems too much hassle

To be honest with you I do the same, I take it for granted that a watch described as 'spares or repair' may be a 'project' and as such may require a movement.

This why I stick to Seiko Group watches as I can get new movements and they are easy to fit, I actively hunt for non working/spares or repair Seiko based watches.

I also only bid what I am prepared to lose with a spares or repair watch.

1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I thought that everyone considering selling any of the watches on Ebay should be aware that selling with even the most thorough description does not protect you from some buyers.

Lets take the often used phrase 'spares or repair' this to me lets any potential bidder know that the watch is sold with any and all existing faults and may not work. The problem comes when the buyer puts a new battery in the watch and finds that it does not work, I thought that my description of 'spares or repairs' offered me some protection as it states the watch may not work.

An Ebay buyer can demand that the seller pays for the return of the watch and then issue a refund because the watch described as 'Spares or repair' does not function.

After a discussion with someone from Ebay today I can take this scenario a little further. Lets say you sold a watch as 'not working' and the buyer gets the watch, puts a battery in it and guess what...it's not working, they can open a return case with Ebay and yet again the seller would have to pay for the watch to be returned to them and arrange a refund.

Just wated you to know that the protection which I had always thought was fair with Ebay is more fair to buyers than sellers.

Its one of the joys of Ebay..a buyer can return the item for whatever reason at anytime within 180 days and usually will obtain a full refund with the seller having to pay the return postage ..even if you list your item as No returns accepted which is an Ebay option it is worthless..Ebay will not even allow correspondence mentioning an address or phone number if you wanted to view the item before placing a bid as you would probably do the deal outside of Ebay...but this is widely abused and many deals are done away from Ebay... .its just how it is but where else can you advertise an item to a Worldwide audience. 

• Like 1

Yes its true you are at the mercy of the buyer on ebay, dont kick yourself for not lising it right or whatever, its just the way it seems to work, ultimately, however contractually and legally it may be possible to bring a case against ebay for frustration of contract due to either inequality of bargaining power...or sic(economic duress) is what strikes me. However it would cost quiet a lot to set a precedent without one and once set they would probably find an exception. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

Mistake ^^^

21 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

.Ebay will not even allow correspondence mentioning an address or phone number if you wanted to view the item before placing a bid as you would probably do the deal outside of Ebay

Really. I asked about this in a previous post. I've just had a quick look and found, albeit motor cycles, sellers with contact phone numbers in their sales ads ?

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Mistake ^^^

Really. I asked about this in a previous post. I've just had a quick look and found, albeit motor cycles, sellers with contact phone numbers in their sales ads ?

ive put my phone number in selling cars. 

no issues 

are they different due to a deed of title like a v5?

18 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Mistake ^^^

Its True I have added my phone number several times when selling items and got away with it... its lucky dip whether Ebay catch you..Also lots of Cars/Motorcycles/Boats are classified listings on which you pay a set fee without any final fees and you can add full contact details...

Just now, Speedy112 said:

Its True I have added my phone number several times when selling items and got away with it... its lucky dip whether Ebay catch you..Also lots of Cars/Motorcycles/Boats are classified listings on which you pay a set fee without any final fees and you can add full contact details...

Yes, the ads I looked at are set fee. :)

9 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

ive put my phone number in selling cars. 

no issues 

are they different due to a deed of title like a v5?

I've sold a couple of things including a car.

I really don't understand all this angst over ebay buying or selling. 

The way I see it ebay is nothing other than an advertising tool. I just pick up a sim card and put that number in the listing then bin it later saves any hassles or grief on your regular number from numpties. 

Deal done off ebay, eventual buyer came and had a look see first was happy and so was I, paid ebay whatever and job done. 

And on buying surely you can just contact the seller ask for his number and have a chit chat ?? If they won't do that just move on. 

Remember the old way of doing business, ad in the classifieds with your phone number, interact that sort of thing. 

7748558574_41853c52fd_b.jpg

:biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

I've sold a couple of things including a car.

I really don't understand all this angst over ebay buying or selling. 

The way I see it ebay is nothing other than an advertising tool. I just pick up a sim card and put that number in the listing then bin it later saves any hassles or grief on your regular number from numpties. 

Deal done off ebay, eventual buyer came and had a look see first was happy and so was I, paid ebay whatever and job done. 

And on buying surely you can just contact the seller ask for his number and have a chit chat ?? If they won't do that just move on. 

Remember the old way of doing business, ad in the classifieds with your phone number, interact that sort of thing. 

7748558574_41853c52fd_b.jpg

:biggrin:

course i do mate, i used to buy the trader every thursday and buy a jag on a saturday and flog it on sunday to some poor sod :biggrin:

Image result for jaguar xj series 2

bit of paint and filler some bars leaks a tank of fuel to see em far enough up the road and sorted. Done it with porsche to. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

course i do mate, i used to buy the trader every thursday and buy a jag on a saturday and flog it on sunday to some poor sod :biggrin:

Image result for jaguar xj series 2

bit of paint and filler some bars leaks a tank of fuel to see em far enough up the road and sorted. Done it with porsche to. 

Even easier these days with Facetime, Skype and so on. Buyers and sellers can actually see one another and the item in question. Of course some will say they might not send what you see but at least there is some traceability and you can send the boys round if it goes boobies up. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

@BondandBigM i sold the s550 amg on ebay and i collected 4 lads from colwyn bay station from london big b@stards hard as nails they took it, it was like 4 kray twins im sure it was used for a bank job after that lol, but yep they were gents, cant beat a bit of interaction. :thumbsup:

Funny thing was i gave them the old v5 and the buggers got it towed...their 'boss man' rang me in a panic needing to get it back so i gave him the number on the new v5 which id kept...as i smelled a rabbit old boy.

they paid cash no question...same with the s500L i sold, funny old game. 

Edited by Nigelp