• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Richard734

Are smart watches a betrayal?

So, while waiting for my India Gamble to arrive, I was perusing the Apple Watch offerings.

Are smart watches ‘allowed’ if you call yourself a watch person? 
personally, I actually don’t like them, think they are too intrusive. Phones are bad enough, but watches that nag and allow other people to interrupt life are just too much.

23 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

watches that nag and allow other people to interrupt life are just too much.

I have a perfectly good Mem'sahib for that :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Personally I won't touch an apple product but I don't see anything wrong with the genre.   It forfils a specific need (tracking runs/heartbeat etc) 

I wouldn't have one on my wrist everymoment of the day but could accept one as a gym watch. 

Edited by Daveyboyz

As I work in I.T I should like them but I hate them and mobile phones also.

I regard Smart Watches as toys, phones are 50% toy and 50% tool and the toy part seems to be the most used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Work of the Devil 

Big M bought a fit bit thing, despite having about fifty or so other watches its never been off her wrist since she bought it. 

I'm notified by her on an hourly basis how may steps she's done, it incessantly bing bongs where upon her phone seems to automatically appear in her hand, it lights up at all odd hours in bed, apparently it's hooked up to Facetw@t, Instagram WhatsApp and god knows how many other apps, she continually panics if it gets below 99% charge, she's completely obsessed with the thing. 

Drives me round the twist

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I personally have an Apple Watch which I wear for work as it is much more practical.

I then have an Omega Planet Ocean, Rolex Perpetual, Longines legend diver and an Oris which I can wear when I want a ‘proper’ watch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Richard734 said:

Are smart watches ‘allowed’ if you call yourself a watch person? 
personally, I actually don’t like them, think they are too intrusive. Phones are bad enough, but watches that nag and allow other people to interrupt life are just too much.

I have no intention of buying one but why should they be intrusive? I have a mobile phone but it has this incredible device that prevents it being intrusive by allowing it to be switched to silent mode or even switched off - hard to believe but I promise it is true. :bash:

1 hour ago, richy176 said:

I have no intention of buying one but why should they be intrusive? I have a mobile phone but it has this incredible device that prevents it being intrusive by allowing it to be switched to silent mode or even switched off - hard to believe but I promise it is true. :bash:

Last time I told someone that I switched the phone off she nearly fell off her chair.

" you can't do that" with a horrified expression, I told her I did and I never feel a thing.

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Work of the Devil 

Showed my lad this original thread before I posted my reply and he said EXACTLY what you said ... he said it in an African Witch Doctor accent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richy176 said:

I suggest that to Big M all the time, silent mode and her reply was 'how will I know if there is a notification' 

:rolleyes:

I told her to put it on vibrate and shove it down the front of her Calvin's then she'll sharp know if one of her pals Facetw@ted anything even remotely interesting. 

:biggrin:

Nooooooo. Why would you devote wrist time to a black square that only shows a face when you contort your arm? Also you have to take the thing off to charge it up. Ye gads. 

My brother in law bought one recently and when he showed me it I said, "I could never have one of those as I like proper watches too much".

My so-called smart phone is one of the dumbest things I've ever come across. I wouldn't expect a smart watch to be any better.

Just as an example, my phone routinely, when I am working at home, suggests I go to a cafe for lunch a few doors up the street. A) I'm at home, as the phone well knows, and I can make my own lunch B) If I was remotely inclined to go to this place, I guess I would know it's there. C) Actually, it closed 5 years ago. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

My so-called smart phone is one of the dumbest things I've ever come across. I wouldn't expect a smart watch to be any better.

Just as an example, my phone routinely, when I am working at home, suggests I go to a cafe for lunch a few doors up the street. A) I'm at home, as the phone well knows, and I can make my own lunch B) If I was remotely inclined to go to this place, I guess I would know it's there. C) Actually, it closed 5 years ago. :rolleyes:

As I also said to Big M who moans about exactly the same sort of thing 

"TURN THE LOCATION MALARKY OFF !!!" 

Honestly if I was actually married to her the whole smart watch phone thing would be grounds for divorce 

• Like 1

I am fortunate enough to have a tame Apple Fairy, I have ar least 1 of everything but resisting the watch despite it being pushed at every opportunity. Mrs R wants one and needed some reassurance that I was sticking to my principles rather than being a dinosaur :thumbs_up:

thanks for the back-up guys. 

I have to be contactable 24/7 for work, so bloody phone must always be on. 

3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

As I also said to Big M who moans about exactly the same sort of thing 

"TURN THE LOCATION MALARKY OFF !!!" 

Honestly if I was actually married to her the whole smart watch phone thing would be grounds for divorce 

Although, somehow it's quite reassuring to know the thing is basically thick as soup. :laugh:

• Haha 1

I have friends who own these things, and I simply do not understand how they would manage life without them. I often get the opportunity to touch these watches when carrying out tasks such as removing quick release straps allowing them to alternate between strap textures and colors (as opposed to colours)

Wonderful. :yes:

Not sure what all the fuss is about these Apple/Smart watches have their uses but have very little to do with Horology... they are everything But....

5 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

Not sure what all the fuss is about these Apple/Smart watches have their uses but have very little to do with Horology... they are everything But....

It's pure 100% consumerism Sir, nothing else.