• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sunday Seniors (pre-1990)

Morning. 1926 Rotherham & sons - last of the great Coventry watchmakers and one of the few to at least partially adopt the American system of manufacturing and make the move to wristwatches... Stopped making watches around 1934 as far as I know.... 585216bf986f06f4bb32a8aeae6e961b.jpg

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

You can not keep a good man down, 1975 King Quartz, with seals now replaced and a new Fluco matt black Kroco (hand made German straps - Black forest) lovely waxy feel rather than the plastiky feel you get on cheaper Hirsch these days. This is keeping time to within the specs of my 8j41 so far!

No photo description available.

• Like 7

These would seem to be appropriate for the day (German watches made for a British  company)...

"ServiceS" COMPETITOR (Lumed Dial), FOREIGN & TRANSPORT (A.R.P.) FOREIGN MADE

(by Thiel Brothers, Thuringia, Germany) circa circa late 1920s/early 1930s

609857988_SERVICES-COMPETITOR--TRANSPORT-DSC_0002.thumb.gif.3a3546713e3cdef341abed8f86bcb2c9.gif

• Like 7
12 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

Good morning all you horological oldies fans, here are my first offerings...

SERVICES (Red Star) SWISS MADE, ETA cal.2782 25 Jewels, circa early 1970s

image.png.1a1131bbd1f7e9c0a263155bc3c1b0b7.png

TIMEX, #24 movement, circa 1970s?

image.png.7029c11651675cd53a2df453c9d90b13.png

:biggrin:

Timex...looks like date at the bottom.....last 2 digits....cheers p

6 hours ago, borobiffa said:

Morning. 1926 Rotherham & sons - last of the great Coventry watchmakers and one of the few to at least partially adopt the American system of manufacturing and make the move to wristwatches... Stopped making watches around 1934 as far as I know.... 585216bf986f06f4bb32a8aeae6e961b.jpg

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

That’s a beauty, Sir.

Rotherhams’s did produce a limited number of wristwatches up until the early 40’s, mainly for private commissions.

Many of their 20’s,30’s pocket watches/wristwatches we’re fitted with imported quality Swiss movements.

They continued making clocks, along with components for the local car industry, up until they ceased trading in 1973.

:thumbsup:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Paul H. said:

ok Mach....usually with a loop and tilting the case sometimes you are able to make it out....cheers p

Thanks, I`ll see if I can find my one, it`s been a few years since I last used it :rolleyes:

Anyway, getting back on topic I`ve just swapped over to these....

INGERSOLL CROWN, SWISS MADE (circa late 1920`s/early 1930s) & (unnamed) FOREIGN (possibly made in Germany, circa 1930s)

899134930_INGERSOLLCROWNSWISSMADEcircalate1920searly1930sFOREIGN(possiblymadeinGermany)circa1930s.gif.5bca14205488c1a9983abde736db685e.gif

:biggrin:

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Karrusel said:

That’s a beauty, Sir.

Rotherhams’s did produce a limited number of wristwatches up until the early 40’s, mainly for private commissions.

Many of their 20’s,30’s pocket watches/wristwatches we’re fitted with imported quality Swiss movements.

They continued making clocks, along with components for the local car industry, up until they ceased trading in 1973.

Thanks - I think it's a lovely watch and that's a useful addition to my knowledge. I was aware they moved over to making components for the car industry, but didn't realise they still made commissions up to the 40's.  There's now a company called rotherhams1750 making a watch called the 'Vale', casing up adapted swiss movements with some local  content and finishing in their Coventry factory - it would be interesting to know if there's any link.

10 minutes ago, borobiffa said:

There's now a company called rotherhams1750 making a watch called the 'Vale', casing up adapted swiss movements with some local  content and finishing in their Coventry factory - it would be interesting to know if there's any link.

No connection to the original ‘Rotherhams’ watchmaking concern I can assure you.

Have approached them for a tour of their watchmaking facility, will report back when they honour their initial invitation?

23 hours ago, Karrusel said:

No connection to the original ‘Rotherhams’ watchmaking concern I can assure you.

Have approached them for a tour of their watchmaking facility, will report back when they honour their initial invitation?

Ha. Could be waiting a while!  But would be very interesting to see just exactly what constitutes local content. I would still like to see a modern British  movement at a reasonable price...