• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Re-luming a watch. I am looking for hints and tips, but I mainly found 'how not to' ...

there are some you tube videos on it, i once tried it with a roamer mustang electronic like this one years ago and it is tricky. lume should be fairly thick like a filler not like paint. 

Image result for roamer mustang electronic

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, r-macus said:

the finest brush

i have ordered a set of watchmakers oilers

16 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

there are some you tube videos on it, i once tried it with a roamer mustang electronic like this one years ago and it is tricky. lume should be fairly thick like a filler not like paint. 

Image result for roamer mustang electronic

hey that tag is like mine, maybe I could do that next?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

i have ordered a set of watchmakers oilers

hey that tag is like mine, maybe I could do that next?

no reason why not, practice makes perfect i find that if youre interested enough in doing something it will turn out great. 

I am going to make a painting shield for the rest of the dial from a bergeon dial protector

I only need 18 tiny tiny blobs - 9 x 2 - how hard can it be?

I am waiting for a new movement holder too

3 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

what does your effort look like in the dark?

Once we see it might throw up any slight imperfections in the process?

OK the kit only arrived yesterday but I have read the instructions and one of the steps is to turn the lights off after you mixed your batch to check the luminous powder is evenly mixed through!

I am waiting for some new hands too before I start.

7 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

OK the kit only arrived yesterday but I have read the instructions and one of the steps is to turn the lights off after you mixed your batch to check the luminous powder is evenly mixed through!

I am waiting for some new hands too before I start.

sorry I didn't read your first post which clearly says it isn't your watch. Schoolboy error on my part :mad0218:

Nor did I realise you have no hands, was it an accident with a food mixer?

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

i relume many of my watches as some manufacturers use crap lume,practice on some hands first,,because it aint as easy as it looks.but with hands you can always clean it off and try again.dials are more tricky ,if you get it wrong theres no going back.excess lume if you try and pick it off,takes all the laquer and paint with it..couzins sell superluminova in little bottles for under £20 and varnish and thinners in the same tiny bottles for under a tenner each.the superluminova you obviously need but the varnish is just nail varnish and 5 litres of the thinners can be had for under £20 from any car paint factor.have fun :)

Edited by greasemonk
sspelin
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, greasemonk said:

i relume many of my watches as some manufacturers use crap lume,practice on some hands first,,because it aint as easy as it looks.but with hands you can always clean it off and try again.dials are more tricky ,if you get it wrong theres no going back.excess lume if you try and pick it off,takes all the laquer and paint with it..couzins sell superluminova in little bottles for under £20 and varnish and thinners in the same tiny bottles for under a tenner each.the superluminova you obviously need but the varnish is just nail varnish and 5 litres of the thinners can be had for under £20 from any car paint factor.have fun :)

I have the powder and resin.  No idea how long it takes to dry.  The indices I am luming have a little step (they are applied) to receive two small blobs of lume side by side, which then meld into one blob - but I have looked at several examples now, including the Breitling prototype, and that is definitely the method.  Ineveitably some blobs meld more than others depending how dry / thick the mix has become. I am thinking of using UV cured resin for my mix - it is transparent to UV light obvs - but that would give me the opportunity to clean up an attempt and start again, and / or shine the UV torch on it once I am happy and cure it at the right moment during the melding process.  I'll practice a great deal first.  I have a good hand (part of my training included draughtsmanship with the old Rotring pens, and I famously drew the whole of my 2nd year final submission freehand lol - waste of time because unless you got up close you couldn't tell!)  Any hoo - food for thought, and I bought 8 old soviet dials off etsy, and I only needed one of them, so perhaps I will practice on the ones heading for the bin.

I saw a dial with a real rough re-lume that I thought I could buy and practice on, provided I could chip the price to scrap value, and this was the reply when I asked for a discount:

"Hi
buy, and do whatever you want with it
lume is normal, the original was also applied roughly"

p.s. I think I will lume one of these (I have two - don't ask) - it was a huge disappointment as a kid when I found the paint was not luminous ...

No photo description available.

Look quite easy to lume by comparison with some dials.

• Like 1