• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Ladies and Gentlemen

In a quest to round my general knowledge, I sometimes watch offerings on a certain video hosting site.

Obviously, I have watched the professionally made submissions of Hodinkee and Watchfinder (informative but mostly fawning or angled), and many of those prepared by individual manufacturers (most of which seem fairly vacuous).

However, I have also watched presentations by several less professional vloggers, notably:

Tristano Veneto

Teddy Baldassarre

Paul Pluta (aka Archie)

John Pietrasz

Tim Holzhäuser

Bear Clooney

Federico Iossa

Christian Zeron

Bill Sanders

Of the above, Sanders (despite his awful rambling style) and Iossa (I can forgive his open plugs for Delray) seem to have a reasonably solid knowledge.

Holzhäuser, though admitting he is an amateur, seems to talk a lot of common sense (mostly based upon his own buying and selling mistakes).

I enjoy Veneto's presentation style, even if he is not a font of knowledge  --  and obviously has an undisclosed financial interest.

Many of the others seem simply to like the sound of their own voices  --  especially Zeron (or am I simply prejudiced against extreme youth?).

Am i missing some gems? Given that they can't all be useless, and are probably not all omniscient, what does the team think?

• Like 1

As a refined Gentleman Im sure you will enjoy this

turn it up to  full and put on presentation at the next rotary no need to watch it first, you can trust me. 

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

As a refined Gentleman Im sure you will enjoy this

As you know, Nigel, I am a franklin rather than a gentleman. However, that does not mean I like to be addressed by all "titles" beginning with F.

I also get the impression that there is not really much "luxury" in Pluta's lifestyle.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, yokel said:

As you know, Nigel, I am a franklin rather than a gentleman. However, that does not mean I like to be addressed by all "titles" beginning with F.

I also get the impression that there is not really much "luxury" in Pluta's lifestyle.

phew i thought i was in bother then, eh yeh...Hodinkee is good :thumbsup:

i think you are correct. 

have you tried this 

he does odd watch reviews too. 

12 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

he does odd watch reviews too. 

Nigel, you know I love you to bits, but do please try to keep up.

Urban Gentry is presented by Tristano Veneto  --  my first named above  --  so, yes, I've watched :tongue:

Edited by yokel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, yokel said:

Nigel, you know I love you to bits, but do please try to keep up.

Urban Gentry is presented by Tristano Veneto  --  my first named above  --  so, yes, I've watched :tongue:

ive had girl friends who said that and it usually was a proviso that id done something they really disapproved of, however in our case given the watch connection and the blood brother status it brings i know that your comments are beyond reproach and i appreciate them a lot. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yokel said:

It's certainly a luxury not watching him.

Tim Mosso Watch Box Review. He's flogging stuff, but it's nice stuff.

@yokel some German.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Thanks 1

YouTube is a major marketing tool for me, and I am up to 1.5m views.  I deliberately keep the videos short and not polished,  as I don't think people want 15 minutes on an old Seiko (some will, but not the majority)

If you get any young people wanting to be youtubers then you can warn them that you get approximately £65 per 100,000 views.  That's only once you already have 1,000 subscribers, and they have viewed 1,000 minutes collectively in the past twelve months.  Not easy to pass those benchmarks, and then not hugely profitable until you are into millions of subscribers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

It's certainly a luxury not watching him.

Tim Mosso Watch Box Review. He's flogging stuff, but it's nice stuff.

@yokel some German.

Thank you Sir  --  I will watch.

• Thanks 1

What I like about TV.... He has a genuine passion for the Aesthetics and value against quality for the novice and/or owner/wearer of only a few watches. He makes very broad comparisons and is tremendously helpful in levelling ones interests whilst in a "choosing" phase of buying from the mainstream producers. He has his place and I salute him for his input ..... whilst not always being a fan of the surrounding nonsense of his presentations. As for the shouty t**t , he adds nothing and is nothing. :-)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

Paul Thorpe's stuff is good, if slightly biased towards Rolex.

I'm not sure he offers anything other than telling his viewers to buy watches that are unobtainable through normal sources or go to his dealer friends and pay a hefty premium, his Knowledge of other brands is Zero and doesn't even go into detail of the watches he is promoting he is purely an "ex" watch dealer allegedly. 

There is also the small issue of his son Jamie convicted recently of a $1million dollar watch scam selling fake/franken watches operating in the same Town as his father who tells his viewers he has 30 years experience in the Watch trade yet didn't see his own son operating at this level.

You Choose. 

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16034422.conman-jamie-thorpe-made-659k-selling-fake-rolex-watches/

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, scottswatches said:

YouTube is a major marketing tool for me, and I am up to 1.5m views.  I deliberately keep the videos short and not polished,  as I don't think people want 15 minutes on an old Seiko (some will, but not the majority)

If you get any young people wanting to be youtubers then you can warn them that you get approximately £65 per 100,000 views.  That's only once you already have 1,000 subscribers, and they have viewed 1,000 minutes collectively in the past twelve months.  Not easy to pass those benchmarks, and then not hugely profitable until you are into millions of subscribers.

What’s your channel scott? I’ll add it to my subscribe list.

I’ve found it Scott. You have another subscriber now. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GASHEAD said:

Well I enjoy it.

I also enjoy Producer Michael's watch-based vids.

I Like Producer Michaels light hearted twist on the exotic side of life in Beverly Hills..also Roman Sharf is very watchable he knows his stuff is straight talking No BS and very Knowledgeable and some of the watches he presents are at the very highest level..He is also owner of Luxury Bazaar so is very aware of current trends serving the very very well heeled with their must have exotica...  

So, as far as my quest to find out whom to trust goes, I have noted a vote for Tim Mosso (whom I must investigate), a vote in favour and a few votes against the Thorpe family, an endorsement of TGV, and a dismissal of ‘Archie’ Pluta.

Any views on Pietrasz, Zeron (whose sidekick is the only redeeming feature I can see), Clooney or Baldassarre?

Thanks.

watched most of them on the list, TGV and archie are not for me, another one I have seen  is "bark & jack " but he does tend to tick to the rolex, omega , GS area.

deano

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

watched most of them on the list, TGV and archie are not for me, another one I have seen  is "bark & jack " but he does tend to tick to the rolex, omega , GS area.

deano

I think Archie probably is a poor soul in need of a mental hospital. 

19 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

What? You haven't seen my 3?.......:laughing2dw:

i have shaking the seikos. :biggrin: playing the castanets. Have you ever seen @BondandBigM's blog? It inolves the odd watch and the odd swear word and the odd bottle of liquor.  

http://bondandbigm.blogspot.com/

http://bondandbigm.blogspot.com/2009/04/fat-.html

:laugh:

hes a star lol 

THIS BLOG IS JUST A LOAD OF RANDOM THOUGHT AND BIT'S AND PIECE'S. IT PROBABLY WON'T BE VERY WELL WRITTEN OR POLITICALLY CORRECT BUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU SEE OR READ **** OFF AND TRY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

• Like 1

another one I like to watch is Federico talks watches, once past the self promotion for delray watch co. he has clearly been around watchs a long time and has good experience and has some insightful opinions and hes jus done one on best swiss watches below 500$ so not all high end stuff , plus he has a soft spot for Cartier like me :biggrin:

deano

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

another one I like to watch is Federico talks watches, once past the self promotion for delray watch co. he has clearly been around watchs a long time and has good experience and has some insightful opinions and hes jus done one on best swiss watches below 500$ so not all high end stuff , plus he has a soft spot for Cartier like me :biggrin:

deano

I agree with respect to Mr Iossa (Federico), but I get the impression that there's rather less substance to the videos made by his partner, John Pietrasz. Am I judging him too harshly?

Tristano Veneto......Quality polished Content that covers all aspects at every price point ..but gets a lot of jealous hate from his competitors and their trolls

Teddy Baldassarre…..slick production comes across as genuine and knowledgeable 

Paul Pluta (aka Archie)..unstable Bi polar foul mothed tirade day in day out..utter madhouse that has become just a begstream

John Pietrasz…. I'm still working on that one offers very little content just opinion on current trends mainly a Delray watch company advert but a likeable individual

Tim Holzhäuser…...enjoy his content but not sure why

Bear Clooney....Don't get Bear Clooney at all..do the others just feel sorry for him

Federico Iossa....experienced knowledgeable comes across well and believe well respected..

Christian Zeron…...loves Vintage promotes just about anything he is trying to sell....Too much hand waiving... but Anna is Hot

Bill Sanders....Love Bill with his rambling style and genuine love of horology mainly movements

WatchFinder … Tim Mosso/ Watchbox and WatchAdvisor… all very watchable with informed quality content...

There is a lot of absolute Rubbish on YouTube mainly those just sitting in front of a camera with Zero knowledge about any brand mostly Rolex fanboy live streams just answering Stupid questions from dreamers who only want what they cannot have and couldn't afford,  offering Zero content..like Just Horology  a grand Channel name  I stumbled across last night and just about as poor as it gets. A Poundshop Webcam production just moaning about he cant get the current hot Rolex watches without paying a huge premium clearly knows less than Nothing about Horology despite the channel name and offers nothing except answering dumb ass questions.

There must be more quality content out there but I have yet to find it

• Thanks 1