Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Calibre500

25 year old divers watch - never used, no power

Recommended Posts

I purchased a brand new diver's watch but for some reason didn't really feel like wearing it so put it away temporarily. It ended up being in its box for over 25 years. Now I need a watch I decided to use t and thought it was working when it was stored so would just need a new battery. Having had a new battery installed, it didn't work. No hand movements and the small LCD display didn't light up either. Is there anything that I can do to try and see if it will work? As said it was brand new and had just being stored. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the old battery left in the watch for 25 years? If yes, there’s your problem - battery leakage and the movement corroded. 
 
What watch is it? Sounds interesting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The battery was fine with no leaks at all when it was removed. The watch isn't an expensive model at all but its more sentimental. You probably won't have even heard of it and probably think its not worth looking at. The brand name is Riva and it was described as a divers analogue watch with an LCD display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2019 at 16:58, Calibre500 said:

I purchased a brand new diver's watch but for some reason didn't really feel like wearing it so put it away temporarily. It ended up being in its box for over 25 years. Now I need a watch I decided to use t and thought it was working when it was stored so would just need a new battery. Having had a new battery installed, it didn't work. No hand movements and the small LCD display didn't light up either. Is there anything that I can do to try and see if it will work? As said it was brand new and had just being stored. Thanks.

This watch probably has a voodoo curse on it. It would probably be easier for you to

jump from the bridge or suck on cold steel than finding out what is wrong with this watch. Thank you and have a nice day

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2019 at 20:51, Calibre500 said:

The battery was fine with no leaks at all when it was removed. The watch isn't an expensive model at all but its more sentimental. You probably won't have even heard of it and probably think its not worth looking at. The brand name is Riva and it was described as a divers analogue watch with an LCD display.

Is it a bit like this one ?

49109888261_e57ce69a58_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously now, i have had many battery operated watches (quartz) in many years. As the batteries weakened or went dead, if I didn't put a new battery in right away, and threw it in a drawer and and went back to replace the battery years later, the movement was fried. I think maybe there still exists overtime in a dead battery a chemical change that may result in a spike or surge that ruins the movement. I only wear auto or manual winders now. If you insist to wear battery operated watches I recommend, 1) change the battery immediately when it goes dead. 2) if not wearing it daily, pull the stem out to disable the current to the movement. Heck it only takes a minute to reset date and time again. 3) replace button cell batteries with the highest quality ones you can obtain. I use the same brand that Rolex has used. A battery is cheaper than a new movement , if the watch has sentimental value. Well, I hope you find a solution to the fix and enjoy your watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi andyclient. The watch is similar but has a rotating bezel. The brand name is Riva. I will try and see if I can attach a photo. Not sure how easy it will be or whether I am allowed seeing I have only just joined and not got many posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:51, Calibre500 said:

The battery was fine with no leaks at all when it was removed. The watch isn't an expensive model at all but its more sentimental. You probably won't have even heard of it and probably think its not worth looking at. The brand name is Riva and it was described as a divers analogue watch with an LCD display.

    25 yrs,  on a battery and no aparent leakage ?   did you check the voltage on the old battery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi vinn. No I didn't check the voltage on the old battery. I'm not sure how important that is. Also not sure if I still have the old battery as thought to install a new one to see if it might start working but it hasn't. If I do still have the battery I will check the voltage. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Calibre500 said:

Hi vinn. No I didn't check the voltage on the old battery. I'm not sure how important that is. Also not sure if I still have the old battery as thought to install a new one to see if it might start working but it hasn't. If I do still have the battery I will check the voltage. Thanks.

     check the old battery - to see if it had enough power to run the watch--------  an important step in diagnosis.  vin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a quick look to see if I can find some interesting information on the Riva watch brand but without much success. A number of companies have used the term "Riva" as a name for a particular model or collection, but not as a brand in its own right. These firms include Citizen, Dior, and Cosa.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...