• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Joyjamie

Citizen Eco drive watches

Are Citizen Eco drive watches any good? Have always bought quartz watches but have seen one of these which I like.   Not sure whether they will last long term.   Are they reliable for time keeping

I have two and never had any problem with them. When not in use keep in the light to keep the capacitor charged up. There are loads of members here with them, and I can't remember seeing any downers on them....though someone may prove me wrong shortly.

My two...

Citizen 'Ecozilla'...

Citizen 'Ecozilla' Citizen 'Ecozilla' lume.

Citizen 'Orca'...

Citizen 'Orca' Citizen 'Orca' lume

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have one, got it last xmas as a present, so just a coming up to a year old, but no problems so far, reliable time keeper just like any quartz watch, just don't have the hassle of needing to change battery.

Citizen AT2396-86E (Cal-H500)

Citizen AT2396-86E

• Like 3

I can attest to Eco-Drive longevity.  I have the PC with E760 movement that has been working steadily since I acquired it in 2005.  Keeping perfect time (or at least perfect enough for my use).

On 05/12/2019 at 17:52, Allthingsmustpass said:

We bought my father in law an eco drive dress watch for his 80th birthday, that was six years ago, he hasn't had to adjust it! 

What about BST ?

1 hour ago, reggie747 said:

What about BST ?

The caliber E760 has a recessed button.  Press the button once, turn the crown, and only the hour hand travels back or forward in one-hour increments. 

48 minutes ago, normdiaz said:

The caliber E760 has a recessed button.  Press the button once, turn the crown, and only the hour hand travels back or forward in one-hour increments. 

Most excellent, thank you

2 hours ago, normdiaz said:

Aah, that will explain it. I know he said he's never had to adjust it, thank you.

I cannot have anything other than praise for them; I have had loads over the years and only one has ever let me down. (That one was used and the capacitor was clearly knackered)

I have 4 at the moment, one of them is for sale; all of them are what's known as 'Radio Controlled' and as long as it is placed on a window sill at night it receives the atomic radio signal from Frankfurt and therefore the time is pretty much deadly accurate all the time. Also included is a perpetual calendar so it knows when the hour goes forward, goes back, when it's a leap year and what day of the month it is etc.

They can be found used pretty reasonably and they're a very good buy.

3 hours ago, Allthingsmustpass said:

Aah, that will explain it. I know he said he's never had to adjust it, thank you.

On the E760, it is an "adjustment", only a simpler one.  (Can't speak for any other Citizen Eco-Drive caliber.)

And then some watch owners don't even bother with DST (daylight savings time in the U.S.) or live in a state where, by legal exemption, DST is not observed.

Edited by normdiaz
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Joyjamie I have 2 Eco drives, and infact, I am about to acquire a 3rd. They are absolutely fantastic watch which I've never had a problem with. Like @Roger the Dodger said, when not using them, keep them in the sunlight. I also pull the crown out when not using mine, but that my personal preference. Do yourself a favour, and get an Eco drive. You'll be glad that you did. :)

I haven't been a member here for very long, but in that time, I haven't read a bad word against them. 

Some nice looking pieces, but none in my collection...... so far. 

Edited by Hayballs
Typeo

ECO DRIVE watches are great. I have an old 7878 movement 200m ECO DRIVE which has been keeping great time for 20 years now. I've used it diving, swimming, surfing caving and bashed around climbing outdoors on the crags LOL. The bezel wore out last Aussy Summer  and I lost it in the surf (the bezel that is!-unfortunately the case has been too far abraded to get a new bezel fitted. I now own a BN 0176-08E 300m diver. Blogged about it here just recently

https://hardcorecampingtools.blogspot.com/2020/03/a-real-mans-watch-citizen-bn0176-08e.html 

There is a lot of hearsay about the longevity of the ECO DRIVE but I'll tell you the facts of mine lasting for a long time, not ever having a rechargeable battery changed and never leaking, or misting up.

Citizen+BN0176-08E.jpg

I'm hoping the E168 movement will be just as good and i'll be another Citizen happy customer/wearer. 

• Like 1

Great watches, I bought this one on eBay four years ago in a somewhat 'used' condition for £15....:scared:

FekoMzi.jpg

A bit of TLC and it ended up like this....:wink:

7ARWLlC.jpg

Still on the original capacitor and hasn't missed a beat despite being locked away in the dark for about a year since I've had it. Currently sits in an acrylic topped box on my work bench, only seen artificial light for over a year now, except when I occasionally give it a little wrist time....

• Like 4

38273267132_4ab96ae9a8_c_d.jpg

Great watches I've had this approx 18 years or so and it is always correct.

• Like 2

I've got the Eco-Drive's great grandfather, a Citizen Crystron solar analogue watch, the very first solar quartz analogue watch in the World, released in late 1976. A bit of history HERE

I instantly fell in love with the look and bought one in early 1977, and wore it for several years, sadly don't still have it but I replaced it with this identical March 1977 one about 5 years ago....

X6ijhNZ.jpg

Citizen released a homage to it in 2007 the Citizen Alterna VO10-6641S

5HnpYhK.jpg

Japan Domestic Market only and would appear to be even rarer than an original 1976/77 watch. I've been looking for one for about 8 years now, with no success, rocking horse droppings come to mind..:teethsmile:

Edited by John_D
  • Like 4

I was given one years ago and to my eternal shame, I can't remember who gave it to me :blush:

When not worn it stays under a small desklamp that's on all the time so it's never stopped in all the years i've had it!, Brilliant watches!!

3NMd6d0.jpg

Also have this one that I bought through Facebook marketplace, Got it for £50 due to the scratches on the crystal!

Jth8kYi.jpg

John :thumbsup:

• Like 1

My two, under the daylight lamp on my desk that keeps them charged, alongside their Casio Ediface Solar cousin. No problems from any of them, despite coming used from Ebay with no known past history.

Solar trio

And, I know, I haven't changed the white face date for the leap year. The perpetual calendar sorts itself out. :thumbsup:

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 1

My eco-drive perpetual ,put a new glass in it as it was badly chipped and scratched and was clearly a tool watch as the bezel shows ,have tried to find a new bezel with little success unfortunately 

DSC_8313_zpsarzrlkoo

• Like 2

20 hours ago, andyclient said:

My eco-drive perpetual ,put a new glass in it as it was badly chipped and scratched and was clearly a tool watch as the bezel shows ,have tried to find a new bezel with little success unfortunately 

DSC_8313_zpsarzrlkoo

I had the same problem re bezel. In my case Citizen have the part, but I have to send it to them for fitting.

• Thanks 1

Just finished a video review of my new-ish BN0176-08E see what u reckon

Plus another blog here:

https://hardcorecampingtools.blogspot.com/2020/03/citizen-bn-0176-08e-300m-promaster-dive.html

Loving this watch LOL.

On 08/03/2020 at 09:43, WRENCH said:

I had the same problem re bezel. In my case Citizen have the part, but I have to send it to them for fitting.

Great job. I wish I could have replaced the bezel on my old 7878 200m eco drive but the case just worn out from sand over many many years of turning it.

I reckon the ECO drive watches are great as i said earlier on but in order to get the most from them I think one needs to be a  stickler for charging them fully when you first get your watch. Then make sure they get loads of full sunlight whenever possible. If you work outdoors then this should be relatively easy but in the office job a little more difficult. The fine print in the charging really equates to quite some time to develop a full charge, ie 11 hours for some watches. I recently rigged up a small computer fan to keep the watch cool to ambient air temps whilst charging in the full sun.CitizenBN0176-08E_P1450142.jpg