• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

Watch Fishing: A Couple of 100 Pounders

Last week, I undertook a trip to Eastbourne for a look round the town centre but this was an abortive exercise. As the bus crested the hill on the A259 towards the town, I noticed what looked like a house fire on the seafront, billowing smoke that drifted over part of the town centre. I took the risk of remaining on the bus rather than get off immediately and head home (I should explain that I have a powerful fear and aversion to fire and smoke) and when I got to the town centre discovered that a large seafront hotel near the pier was well alight after an explosion in the basement - fortunately with no casualties. After a few minutes, and on seeing that traffic in the town was was subject to diversions, I gave up and managed to get a bus home. Subsequently, on Tuesday this week, I took the plunge again, and this time had a good nosey round Eastbourne.

I failed to find a single watch to buy in the charity shops and collectors' markets in the town on Tuesday, but as an exercise in window shopping, I popped into H. Samuel and “fished” for one or two watches, up to the £100 mark, that I would consider worthy of my money – this, of course, being a very personal choice from what was on offer in the shop; note that “other watches and watch outlets are available.”

jpeg&blobheadername1=content-disposition

(Pic from casio-intl.com)

The first model I hooked was a recent addition to the Casio G-Shock range, the G-Shock Octagon Series GA-2100-1AER. This watch was immediately striking visually with its octagonal bezel and case, and the dominance of the analogue display, which includes a day of the week register, over the minimised digital elements. The watch on display in the shop was the black version with whitish markers and main hands (which would probably be my favourite colourway since later seeing pics of the other colourways of this model) and it is amazing just how many digital functions are incorporated in the small digital display. Finally, I noted the decent water resistance of 200 metres, which means that the watch will stand up to being in as well as out of the water. Apparently this watch is accurate to +/- 15 seconds per month and is operational down to a temperature of -10 degrees C; also according to the G-Shock.co.uk website the ISO 200 metres water resistance of this model is sufficient for professional diving.

ga-2100-1a_1_1.png

(Pic from g-shock.co.uk)

The deep black colour of the (45.4mm wide X 11.8mm thick) watch case may be slightly enhanced by the inclusion of carbon fibre in the resin case material; the new shock resistant Carbon Core Guard Structure introduced by Casio. Practically speaking, this inclusion has been added for lighter weight and increased rigidity. The interchangeable strap on the watch is black resin and the crystal is mineral glass. The other specifications of the GA-2100-1AER are as follows: separate EL/LED light for both digital and analogue areas of the watch with afterglow, selectable for 1 second or 3 seconds, in addition to lume on the main hands, world (dual timezone display) time function, 1/100 second stopwatch up to 24 hours, 1 second timer up to 24 hours, 5 daily alarms, push-button hand moving to view stopwatch/date, automatic day/date/year calendar, and 12 or 24 hour format.

XReer1aOmSQoLqAxChzhR48AZhnIOu3EOzI4-qQy

(Pic from external-preview.redd.it):

zegarek-meski-casio-g-shock-ga-2100-1aer

(pic from zegarek.net)

The H. Samuel price for the Casio GA-2100-1AER was £99.99, and ironically, my second catch of the day from H. Samuel was also priced at £99.99. This model comes from Accurist and is apparently a colourway exclusive to the H. Samuel empire. On 22 June this year, I posted a topic here on the Forum entitled, “Accurist in Deep Water: The Divers,” in which I discussed the dive watches in the Accurist lineup including the latest quartz “Divers Style” collection. At that time, the range of colourways was very limited, but H. Samuel have now included in the “Divers Style” collection a handsome green dial colourway with plain steel case and bezel that stands out from its slightly duller siblings. The new colourway with its green sunburst dial has a 43mm case, screw-down back and crown, rotating bezel, luminous batons and hands, a mineral glass crystal and a stated water resistance of 200 meters.

5316499-1490.jpg

(Pic from H. Samuel at cloudfront.net)

I enjoyed catching these two watches, and there is no doubt that shopping in person for a brand new watches can be – and hopefully always is – a special experience to be savoured, especially when for most of the time one is buying from within with the general second-hand market for pre-owned watches. Sadly, like a conscientious angler, I had to return these two watches to the water and leave the venue empty-handed. And I leave you all with best wishes for your Christmas watch buying!

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Last week, I undertook a trip to Eastbourne for a look round the town centre but this was an abortive exercise. As the bus crested the hill on the A259 towards the town, I noticed what looked like a house fire on the seafront, billowing smoke that drifted over part of the town centre. I took the risk of remaining on the bus rather than get off immediately and head home (I should explain that I have a powerful fear and aversion to fire and smoke) and when I got to the town centre discovered that a large seafront hotel near the pier was well alight after an explosion in the basement - fortunately with no casualties. After a few minutes, and on seeing that traffic in the town was was subject to diversions, I gave up and managed to get a bus home. Subsequently, on Tuesday this week, I took the plunge again, and this time had a good nosey round Eastbourne.

I failed to find a single watch to buy in the charity shops and collectors' markets in the town on Tuesday, but as an exercise in window shopping, I popped into H. Samuel and “fished” for one or two watches, up to the £100 mark, that I would consider worthy of my money – this, of course, being a very personal choice from what was on offer in the shop; note that “other watches and watch outlets are available.”

jpeg&blobheadername1=content-disposition

(Pic from casio-intl.com)

The first model I hooked was a recent addition to the Casio G-Shock range, the G-Shock Octagon Series GA-2100-1AER. This watch was immediately striking visually with its octagonal bezel and case, and the dominance of the analogue display, which includes a day of the week register, over the minimised digital elements. The watch on display in the shop was the black version with white/offwhite markers and main hands (which would probably be my favourite colourway since later seeing pics of the other colourways of this model) and it is amazing just how many digital functions are incorporated in the small digital display. Finally, I noted the decent water resistance of 200 metres, which means that the watch will stand up to being in as well as out of the water. Apparently this watch is accurate to +/- 15 seconds per month and is operational down to a temperature of -10 degrees C; also according to the G-Shock.co.uk website the ISO 200 metres water resistance of this model is sufficient for professional diving.

ga-2100-1a_1_1.png

(Pic from g-shock.co.uk)

The deep black colour of the (45.4mm wide X 11.8mm thick) watch case may be slightly enhanced by the inclusion of carbon fibre in the resin case material; the new shock resistant Carbon Core Guard Structure introduced by Casio. Practically speaking, this inclusion has been added for lighter weight and increased rigidity. The interchangeable strap on the watch is black resin and the crystal is mineral glass. The other specifications of the GA-2100-1AER are as follows: separate EL/LED light for both digital and analogue areas of the watch with afterglow, selectable for 1 second or 3 seconds, in addition to lume on the main hands, world (dual timezone display) time function, 1/100 second stopwatch up to 24 hours, 1 second timer up to 24 hours, 5 daily alarms, push-button hand moving to view stopwatch/date, automatic day/date/year calendar, and 12 or 24 hour format.

XReer1aOmSQoLqAxChzhR48AZhnIOu3EOzI4-qQy

(Pic from external-preview.redd.it):

zegarek-meski-casio-g-shock-ga-2100-1aer

(pic from zegarek.net)

The H. Samuel price for the Casio GA-2100-1AER was £99.99, and ironically, my second catch of the day from H. Samuel was also priced at £99.99. This model comes from Accurist and is apparently a colourway exclusive to the H. Samuel empire. On 22 June this year, I posted a topic here on the Forum entitled, “Accurist in Deep Water: The Divers,” in which I discussed the dive watches in the Accurist lineup including the latest quartz “Divers Style” collection. At that time, the range of colourways was very limited, but H. Samuel have now included in the “Divers Style” collection a handsome green dial colourway with plain steel case and bezel that stands out from its slightly duller siblings. The new colourway with its green sunburst dial has a 43mm case, screw-down back and crown, rotating bezel, luminous batons and hands, a mineral glass crystal and a stated water resistance of 200 meters.

5316499-1490.jpg

(Pic from H. Samuel at cloudfront.net)

I enjoyed catching these two watches, and there is no doubt that shopping in person for a brand new watches can be – and hopefully always is – a special experience to be savoured, especially when for most of the time one is buying from within with the general second-hand market for pre-owned watches. Sadly, like a conscientious angler, I had to return these two watches to the water and leave the venue empty-handed. And I leave you all with best wishes for your Christmas watch buying!

What's a bus?

• Haha 1

I like the Casio,undeniably G-shock but still has that aura of  `a little bit different` about it.... or maybe its just me.

Edited by sabailand
  • Like 1