• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Totally Inaccurate Quartz Watches - I have one ...

Armed with a Citizen Miyota 6P80 - I changed the battery not long since, OK it might be a dud but it is not showing any end of life type malfunction ...

No photo description available.

It's lost an hour since the clocks changed!

I would put another battery in but the case back is TIGHT - I have variously broken a die and a crystal re-fitting it.  I don't like to toss a watch, but ...

Have you got any inaccurate quartz watches?

Edited by Jet Jetski

7 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Armed with a Citizen Miyota 6P80 - I changed the battery not long since, OK it might be a dud but it is not showing any end of life type malfunction ...

No photo description available.

It's lost an hour since the clocks changed!

I would put another battery in but the case back is TIGHT - I have variously broken a die and a crystal re-fitting it.  I don't like to toss a watch, but ...

Have you got any inaccurate quartz watches?

No, none of them are inaccurate.One of them, a Rado Diastar, doesn't seem to alter at all.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

No, none of them are inaccurate.One of them, a Rado Diastar, doesn't seem to alter at all.

I have never known an inaccurate quartz either.  It's weird.  Apparently my most accurate watch was a Citizen 'Royal Marines' diver, according to the chap at work I gave it to - he swears it has kept time to the second for the last six months.

1 minute ago, Bonzodog said:

Might need a service,my wife’s Tag was loosing time,a service sorted it out.

I would probably just buy a new movement in that case, although I have not done a four hander before, and wondering what I could mess up, apart from the hands banging into each other maybe there's an interaction with the day counter I could mess up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I have never known an inaccurate quartz either.  It's weird.  Apparently my most accurate watch was a Citizen 'Royal Marines' diver, according to the chap at work I gave it to - he swears it has kept time to the second for the last six months.

I would probably just buy a new movement in that case, although I have not done a four hander before, and wondering what I could mess up, apart from the hands banging into each other maybe there's an interaction with the day counter I could mess up.

When my Tag F1 broke down i didn't fancy doing that either as it also has an alarm.

Replacing the movement must be more economical than a service for a quartz.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

When my Tag F1 broke down i didn't fancy doing that either as it also has an alarm.

Replacing the movement must be more economical than a service for a quartz.

You would think, although there are some quite expensive movements if you go to a retailer.  Also with a new movement you get the longevity back.  My tag has done 25 years all good.  Despite me leaving the crown unscrewed one time.

12 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

You would think, although there are some quite expensive movements if you go to a retailer.  Also with a new movement you get the longevity back.  My tag has done 25 years all good.  Despite me leaving the crown unscrewed one time.

I'm always leaving the crown unscrewed on my autos....whoops!!! and the crown on my Air King is tiny.

6 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

The service and battery change on the Tag earlier this year was £60.00 ,money well spent Imho.

£60 is a bargain.

I think I told you, it cost £230 for what ended up being a movement replacement on my F1.

I didn't ever use a watch for work but one morning when I got up for early shift (4-40am) and I was sat having a brew, i noticed the Tag where I left it the day before changing the date !?!?!?

Anyway it went back and they sorted it.

• Like 1

I have one quartz watch that I have taken out of rotation because since it came back from a service it has been running at +70 seconds per year (it was +14 seconds per year before the service).

Everything in my rotation has to be either sub 10 seconds per year if it's a quartz, or else a mechanical watch in which case I don't care much about the accuracy because I will reset them every time I wear them.

The most accurate watch currently in my collection is a quartz Omega from 1975. It has been running at +3 seconds per year quite consistently since I trimmed the rate a few years ago. Shame you can't trim the rate of most modern quartz watches.

Edited by Tom-HK
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tom-HK said:

+3 seconds per year

that's good - I do have to admit my Bulova precisionist is my most accurate quartz, though not everybody has the same experience

41 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I'm always leaving the crown unscrewed on my autos.

I still blame the kids for that one time lol :laughing2dw:

it dried out OK ....  that was 16 years ago OMG!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

that's good - I do have to admit my Bulova precisionist is my most accurate quartz, though not everybody has the same experience

I still blame the kids for that one time lol :laughing2dw:

it dried out OK ....  that was 16 years ago OMG!

Mine don't go near water, even the washing up:laugh:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

Mine don't go near water, even the washing up

Not many of mine do, but that was a 200m diver on a SS strap!

Now this one has a screw crown but is triple sealed and remains waterproof even when left unscrewed, to 200m I believe.  They are also wet tested at 20 bar before they leave the factory, and as part of the test they are cooled afterwards to check for condensation.  Here is my test on Winter Hill:

Image may contain: outdoor

7 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Not many of mine do, but that was a 200m diver on a SS strap!

Now this one has a screw crown but is triple sealed and remains waterproof even when left unscrewed, to 200m I believe.  They are also wet tested at 20 bar before they leave the factory, and as part of the test they are cooled afterwards to check for condensation.  Here is my test on Winter Hill:

Image may contain: outdoor

Is that recently??

I've been up there many a time when it's been misty and the mist seems to cling to the actual mast itself

18 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

Is that recently??

I've been up there many a time when it's been misty and the mist seems to cling to the actual mast itself

Probably about 9 months ago - I go via Rivington Pike and run up the 93 steps lol

But you are right - if your watch is ever going to 'fog up', it will be on Winter Hill.  It's the testing ground!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Probably about 9 months ago - I go via Rivington Pike and run up the 93 steps lol

But you are right - if your watch is ever going to 'fog up', it will be on Winter Hill.  It's the testing ground!

I used to go from near the mast down into Belmont village on my mtbs, fallen off a few times too:laugh:

I see kids up the pike regularly, counting the steps.

If you get a good day up there when there's not many people about, it's absolutely superb with views to match.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Turpinr said:

it's absolutely superb with views to match

took my dad up there one evening not long before he passed, very clear, could see the coast from the docks at liverpool all the way up past blackpool and boats on the horizon - even made out the tower when I blew up the pics - evening and the sun really making the sea blinding.  My dad was from Newhaven so he was chuffed to get a glimpse of the old briny!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

took my dad up there one evening not long before he passed, very clear, could see the coast from the docks at liverpool all the way up past blackpool and boats on the horizon - even made out the tower when I blew up the pics - evening and the sun really making the sea blinding.  My dad was from Newhaven so he was chuffed to get a glimpse of the old briny!

Glad he enjoyed it:thumbsup:

I've seen other people up there having a last look.

The only wayward quartz I have had was a Casio 5600 with multi band 5 . I spent a few weeks in Shanzen (China , so no atomic clock sync back then). Came home to find it approaching 40 seconds out.  

Obviously it got its ship together on receiving the sync once home and was otherwise faultless. 

Cant remember what I wore on my only other trip I to China but sadly I never got back there after purchasing the multi band 6 5610...

Given I live in the world of "just gone 7" and "must be about beer o clock" a few seconds a month bothers me not. 

Toodles.

Edited by Rotundus
  • Thanks 1