• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

WRUW - Saturday 30th November 2019

Igerswis

G Shock MR-G today. The best G Shock I have in the collection with the high price partly attributable to the titanium case being outsourced to Seiko to manufacture and finish:

6917eb1cdc1a67a595738bb2eaa56e6f.jpeg

Popped into a village towards the north eastern part of Thailand to see a friend I haven’t seen for a while. If you think you’ve seen chavs on Jeremy Kyle with crooked teeth and poor hygiene you should see the village people in Thailand! No money for any necessities but plenty of money for drugs and alcohol. Not the kind of place you want to visit as a tourist; better sticking to cities like I do.

At least the dogs are happy:

3f791ef6120e89d80716563dd94363c1.jpeg

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Igerswis said:

money for drugs and alcohol

Yeah but food and toothpaste not so good as drugs for helping you forget you it's rice and spinach every day otherwise.  Not sure how long I would manage in a lifetime of deprivation, poverty, and poor access to education.  No matter how poor here, at least I can always get clean water to brush my teeth in.  

Moving on.

IMG_20191129_220146397(1).thumb.jpg.74f0fa677c3e023bfae0a435ce3c1bad.jpg

Not everyone likes a Russian watch on a NATO strap, but I have tried a lot of bands on this, and so far this works best for me, picks up the black inner bezel. 

I have a black leather plain 'one-piece', but the spring bars are too close to the case even to force it.  

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 9

Morning,

It’ll be this steel-cased Avia-matic today. Probably from around 1960, it runs on a 25j AS 1674 auto and is another one with an off-centre oscillating weight. Per Ranfft, “The winding gear is integrated in the movement, instead of attaching it to a manual-wind calibre as usual. This led to a sensationally thin movement at that time”.

Whilst poor old Avia has had a rather chequered history in recent decades, this one dates from when the original company’s watches were synonymous with really quite decent quality. The name is now owned, I believe, by Fossil and Avia-branded watches can be bought today from the world’s largest on-line retailer.

Regards.

Avia Avia-matic 2018 v.2.jpg

Avia Avia-matic AS 1674 2018 v.2.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Igerswis said:

G Shock MR-G today. The best G Shock I have in the collection with the high price partly attributable to the titanium case being outsourced to Seiko to manufacture and finish:

6917eb1cdc1a67a595738bb2eaa56e6f.jpeg

Popped into a village towards the north eastern part of Thailand to see a friend I haven’t seen for a while. If you think you’ve seen chavs on Jeremy Kyle with crooked teeth and poor hygiene you should see the village people in Thailand! No money for any necessities but plenty of money for drugs and alcohol. Not the kind of place you want to visit as a tourist; better sticking to cities like I do.

At least the dogs are happy:

3f791ef6120e89d80716563dd94363c1.jpeg

Have a great weekend everyone!

For a G-Shock that doesn't look bad, but the dogs are far nicer:biggrin:

bVIvXSS.jpg

• Like 4

I don't expect anyone to understand the affection I have for this watch, but, the story behind it may resonate with other collectors who buy on Ebay.

I saw an 'odd looking', 'ugly' 'not working' watch on Ebay and placed a bid not even caring if I won as I didn't particularly like it or want it. I won the auction to my dismay.

The watch arrived, and, in the flesh it had something that did not appear in the photos on the Ebay listing.

New movement fitted, and on the wrist it feels as special as my Rolex. Funny how some watches punch well above their price. This one is a keeper as it is more than the sum of it's parts.

b524b2969b6365d67b52cdf2f55f0952.jpg

Seiko 7T92-0FW0 (another bad photo on my not so smart phone)

• Like 12

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

second new 2019 watch to arrive this week is due in later after the Speedy was part exchanged in earlier this week.  

Photos when it arrives.  This one is Titanium, and not a brand you see often.  

It arrived

Porsche Design

Porsche Design model 1919 Datetimer.  All titanium construction, so despite the bulk the weight is not there,  Cool lug design and it is also available on a rubber strap, which might make it more comfortable but won't be easy to replace when needed.  Very legible dial.  Is it worth €3,350?  I not sure - i'd see it as a rival for brands like Oris's Titanium Aquis at £1,750 (Although the Porsche Design is a much more original looking watch, and Oris want £6k for their original looking ProPilot on Titanium :jawdrop1:)  The only Titanium TAG Heuer on their website is a Carrera, at nearly £20k! :jawdrop1::jawdrop1::jawdrop1:

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, ziggy1024 said:

Coooool. Do they still farm out their manufacture to the likes of IWC?

It was IWC until the mid nineties, then Eterna, and around 2014 they took it in house (IE farmed it out to someone but we don't know who!)

First time I have ordered a watch that came in a separate protective box to the watch box, which housed an inner watch box itself.  Ridiculous