Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

I have an old Accurist with a bent lug (see pic) which adds about 1mm to the lug width. I'm worried about snapping the lug completely if I try and straighten it. Is there a safe way of doing it?

DSC_1080s

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   this would be a good time to use a "jewelers torch" ?  to avoid snapping the lug off,  DEPENDING on the type of metal in the case.  heat  is what i use.  the gold plate may be lost. no big deal.  vin

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, vinn said:

   this would be a good time to use a "jewelers torch" ?  to avoid snapping the lug off,  DEPENDING on the type of metal in the case.  heat  is what i use.  the gold plate may be lost. no big deal.  vin

Unfortunately I don't have one and, if I bought one, I doubt if I'd ever use it again. I could hold the lug in the flame of the gas hob I suppose. :hmmm9uh:Maybe safer if I just leave it as it is.

Update - put electrical tape over the lug, held it close to the case with needle nose pliers. Used another small pair of pliers to bend the lug with minimum force. It worked, gap is now 18mm. Pheeew! :thumbsup:

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was my watch I would be tempted to remove the movement and stick the case in boiling water (which would hopefully not 'flake' the gold) this should make the metal malleable enough to get some 'wrapped' pliers on that lug and give it some gentle 'encouragement' to get back in line.

That's if it were mine.

Sorry, hadn't read that you sorted it :biggrin:

Edited by tick-tock-tittle-tattle
update
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

If it was my watch I would be tempted to remove the movement and stick the case in boiling water (which would hopefully not 'flake' the gold) this should make the metal malleable enough to get some 'wrapped' pliers on that lug and give it some gentle 'encouragement' to get back in line.

That's if it were mine.

Sorry, hadn't read that you sorted it :biggrin:

     that is not enough heat to bend metal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

If it was my watch I would be tempted to remove the movement and stick the case in boiling water (which would hopefully not 'flake' the gold) this should make the metal malleable enough to get some 'wrapped' pliers on that lug and give it some gentle 'encouragement' to get back in line.

That's if it were mine.

Sorry, hadn't read that you sorted it :biggrin:

My record on removing movements and putting them back is so bad I'm very reluctant to attempt it. Something always goes wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Looks like you didn't read my full reply, he had already bent it back 'cold' therefore any amount of heat would have worked, even none at all.

   yes,  boil the watch case.    vin 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeh just bung the lot in the kettle and leave it to boil that will sort it 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

yeh just bung the lot in the kettle and leave it to boil that will sort it 

    another reference to "alice in wounderland"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...