• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I have an old Accurist with a bent lug (see pic) which adds about 1mm to the lug width. I'm worried about snapping the lug completely if I try and straighten it. Is there a safe way of doing it?

DSC_1080s

this would be a good time to use a "jewelers torch" ?  to avoid snapping the lug off,  DEPENDING on the type of metal in the case.  heat  is what i use.  the gold plate may be lost. no big deal.  vin

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, vinn said:

this would be a good time to use a "jewelers torch" ?  to avoid snapping the lug off,  DEPENDING on the type of metal in the case.  heat  is what i use.  the gold plate may be lost. no big deal.  vin

Unfortunately I don't have one and, if I bought one, I doubt if I'd ever use it again. I could hold the lug in the flame of the gas hob I suppose. :hmmm9uh:Maybe safer if I just leave it as it is.

Update - put electrical tape over the lug, held it close to the case with needle nose pliers. Used another small pair of pliers to bend the lug with minimum force. It worked, gap is now 18mm. Pheeew! :thumbsup:

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 2

If it was my watch I would be tempted to remove the movement and stick the case in boiling water (which would hopefully not 'flake' the gold) this should make the metal malleable enough to get some 'wrapped' pliers on that lug and give it some gentle 'encouragement' to get back in line.

That's if it were mine.

Sorry, hadn't read that you sorted it :biggrin:

Edited by tick-tock-tittle-tattle
update
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

If it was my watch I would be tempted to remove the movement and stick the case in boiling water (which would hopefully not 'flake' the gold) this should make the metal malleable enough to get some 'wrapped' pliers on that lug and give it some gentle 'encouragement' to get back in line.

That's if it were mine.

that is not enough heat to bend metal.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

That's if it were mine.

My record on removing movements and putting them back is so bad I'm very reluctant to attempt it. Something always goes wrong.

16 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Looks like you didn't read my full reply, he had already bent it back 'cold' therefore any amount of heat would have worked, even none at all.

yes,  boil the watch case.    vin 

• Like 1

yeh just bung the lot in the kettle and leave it to boil that will sort it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

yeh just bung the lot in the kettle and leave it to boil that will sort it 

another reference to "alice in wounderland"