• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
BondandBigM

The Good Old Days - rose tinted glasses required

Were the days gone by better 

IMG_20191130_204546

It was a simpler life, no social media and clear cut politics. 

I had a 3ltr Capri, bought my records in Woolies and was a staunch Labour voter. 

Your thoughts 

:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Your thoughts 

Yes. Misbehaving was easy, and you didn't get caught.

850.jpg

• Like 1

I fondly remember Woolworth when I was growing-up in Montreal. The original Five & Dime store. And I did buy records there. Remember the  K-Tel greatest hits...? The vinyl was so thin, you could hear the B Side while playing the A side. :laugh:

They became Woolco; then they sold to Wal-Mart who got rid of the stores when employees wanted to unionize. Some stores were renamed after discount chains. Target bought some but went bankrupt. The end of an era.

Had a Challenger 440 Six-Pack then.... 9 MPG if I disconnected the hoses to the third bank of carbs. Yes, the good old days.

• Like 1

40 years ago I was irresistible to womem, a great boxer and a Labour voter.:hmmm9uh:

It was indeed a simpler life, training 4 times a week, a run on 2 other nights.Get home from work and never give it another thought.

I liked boxing, women, the latest fashions, women, music and women.

Yeah, I remember k-tel records and MFP too.The mods were back in 1979 after the film Quadrophina and I can remember buying a mod suit and a zoot suit jacket, two tone shirt etc etc.

14 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

no social media

Remember CB radio ? You could shout abuse over a short distance, say you stayed where you didn't, and watch someone else's windows getting a breeze block. :laughing2dw:. Glasgow was always the best, " yer maw'll be hame in five minutes efter a've finished we 'er". :laughing2dw:

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Remember CB radio ? You could shout abuse over a short distance, say you stayed where you didn't, and watch someone else's windows getting a breeze block. :laughing2dw:. Glasgow was always the best, " yer maw'll be hame in five minutes efter a've finished we 'er". :laughing2dw:

Held in with 2 wing nuts.

No offence but I'd put CB users in the same category as real ale drinkers and doggers:laugh:

Edited by Turpinr
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

No offence but I'd put CB users in the same category as real ale drinkers and doggers

I think you're being kind. :laughing2dw:

I've found my ultimate rose tinted specs holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

I think you're being kind. :laughing2dw:

I've found my ultimate rose tinted specs holiday.

I can smell the two stroke smoke mmmmmm nostalgia

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I had one of these coupled to some sort of booster and a huge ariel on top of a twenty foot scaffolding pole. 

%C2%A0President-Dwight-D-40-Channel-CB-B

When you one nined for a copy nobody in the street could see their telly. 

2 hours ago, Turpinr said:

No offence but I'd put CB users in the same category as real ale drinkers and doggers:laugh:

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

I remember woolies only to well - every christmas an aunt used to buy me one of those carp "Top of the pops" albums.  Cover versions of hit songs made by unknown session musicians.  The best bit about them were the birds on the covers :biggrin:

Image result for artists who played on top of the pops albums

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woolworths had their own line of stuff, a brand called `winfield`, i remember their `footballs` being like balloons, the slightest breeze and you could swerve it like the best Brazilian!:biggrin:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Woolworths had their own line of stuff, a brand called `winfield`, i remember their `footballs` being like balloons, the slightest breeze and you could swerve it like the best Brazilian!:biggrin:

I can remember my dad getting me some Gola football boots that cost about £2 10s when Mitre were a £1 dearer.It would have been '67 and Utd were flying high and I was the next Denis Law in my own head:laugh: 

I was only 9 but got picked for the school team and on my debut i scored.Jesus i took off round the pitch celebrating:laugh:and nearly took off.

I got a casey that xmas and my dad said 'don't kick it on the road, wait till you get to t'back field's

What did I do ?? yeah booted it all over the place before we got to t'back field:huh: within a couple of weeks my beloved casey was just a bladder :laugh:

Edited by Turpinr
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I can remember my dad getting me some Gola football boots that cost about £2 10s when Mitre were a £1 dearer.It would have been '67 and Utd were flying high and I was the next Denis Law in my own head:laugh: 

I was only 9 but got picked for the school team and on my debut i scored.Jesus i took off round the pitch celebrating:laugh:and nearly took off.

I got a casey that xmas and my dad said 'don't kick it on the road, wait till you get to t'back field's

What did I do ?? yeah booted it all over the place before we got to t'back field:huh: within a couple of weeks my beloved casey was just a bladder :laugh:

Think my first boots were given to me by a mate, they had screw in studs and i was chuffed to bits with them,early football memories are great,  wether it was for the school team or playing in the street until it got dark, later years meant playing for pub teams in the local league.Talking of mitre boots there was a factory in my town that made mitre sports gear, they often had sales that sold imperfections at greatly reduced costs, so you could get a good quality pair of boots with only a slight imperfection for a great price.

Proper boots back then, not multi-coloured fancy slippers they play in today!:laugh:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Think my first boots were given to me by a mate, they had screw in studs and i was chuffed to bits with them,early football memories are great,  wether it was for the school team or playing in the street until it got dark, later years meant playing for pub teams in the local league.Talking of mitre boots there was a factory in my town that made mitre sports gear, they often had sales that sold imperfections at greatly reduced costs, so you could get a good quality pair of boots with only a slight imperfection for a great price.

Proper boots back then, not multi-coloured fancy slippers they play in today!:laugh:

They must have been good in those days if they had screw in studs.

I have the same sort of memories re football.Our council estate had some good teams over the years from post war through to the 70's.Some scouse kids turned up one day to play us and none of us knew em???? We beat em anyway and never lost on our own field.

I can remember playing another council estate's team and we hammered them so some older kids chased us off :laugh:

At junior school our team was sh1te which was why 3 of us got picked at 8 or 9 years old.I started off in the middle then left wing (never :laugh:) at secondary school and after I left school, a team near where I worked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

I had one of these coupled to some sort of booster and a huge ariel on top of a twenty foot scaffolding pole. 

%C2%A0President-Dwight-D-40-Channel-CB-B

When you one nined for a copy nobody in the street could see their telly. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

My mate's mum was the organist at the local crematorium, and there were a few upsets with unwanted interruptions coming through the speakers. 

Feb. 1971 and just turned 17 years old. Passed driving test within a few weeks in a souped up Mini van....the 'Passion Wagon' . Mattress in the back, interior lined out with that wafer thin polystyrene that used to go behind wallpaper to prevent the inside condensating and 4 1/2" J slot mags...the maximum width you could get away with without adding spats to the arches...the one thing plod really seemed strict about. The driving licence was a little red booklet in those days, not the ID card most have today. I still have a paper licence...won't be getting the card version until I have to at 70 (If I make it that far). No drink/driving rules then, or seat belts, either. Many's the time I woke up with the car in the drive but no recollection of how I drove home or the route I took...:laughing2dw:

• Like 1

Ah yes, the good old days. Here’s me and some friends at my younger sisters birthday party. Home-made cakes and jelly 'n' Carnation milk. I think that was about it apart from some 'Tree top' orange squash. :thumbs_up: 

8-C9-FB49-C-8-D44-41-FD-BFC3-6-D79-F96-F

Edited by Steve D UK
  • Like 3

I got a new one of these in 1977 (from the same people who brought you Aston Martin DB) It was horrible. Noisy, had to wear ear defenders, cold, no heater or rear cab enclosure and brutal after doing anything up to 16 hours work in it. Was reliable though.

I cannot understand all these old guys who get all bleary eyes with nostalgia over such.

Look at today's alternative. 

And this is "the business"

20 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I can smell the two stroke smoke mmmmmm nostalgia

There's this guy who lives not far from me has one of each.

60e7c813-2697-4486-b509-d7de675d1063.jpg

1986-suzuki-rg-500-gamma-01.jpg

yamaha-rd500lc-2554e3fd74fe.jpg

These things were built to be caned. I will never forget the "rush" from the first ever go on a Suzuki RG. :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

There's this guy who lives not far from me has one of each.

60e7c813-2697-4486-b509-d7de675d1063.jpg

1986-suzuki-rg-500-gamma-01.jpg

yamaha-rd500lc-2554e3fd74fe.jpg

These things were built to be caned. I will never forget the "rush" from the first ever go on a Suzuki RG. :wicked:

I hadn't been on a bike for years when one Saturday morning after overtime a young lad asked me if I wanted a go on his RG 250....this was mid 90's.....so i pootled up the road turned round and opened it up..........:jawdrop1:the front end came up and off it went hahaha like the proverbial shovel full of dung.

Same thing happened when I had a ride on an NC24 while I had a 400/4.I loved the old 400 but for performance the newer one wiped the floor with it, so I got it.

Edited by Turpinr

13 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

How many of these have you had

None,  and I'm not sorry. :laughing2dw:

On 02/12/2019 at 11:22, Turpinr said:

I had a ride on an NC24

I had a go on an RC 45. They were over £18k in the early 90's,

look at where the red line is. :wicked:

honda-rc45-09.jpg

ugly though.

honda%20rc45%20%201.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

None,  and I'm not sorry. :laughing2dw:

I had a go on an RC 45. They were over £18k in the early 90's,

look at where the red line is. :wicked:

honda-rc45-09.jpg

ugly though.

honda%20rc45%20%201.jpg

Bit slabby isn't it ? 

I had the NC30 too and liked it's bigger brother the RC30.I wasnt fussed on the Fireblade, or big Suzukis but liked the R1 and Kawasaki 750 of the time.

I still prefer the early to mid 70's bikes and think the Norton 850 is still stunning.

14 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Black XR3i but mine was an earlier one than the one in your pic.It rusted quicker than an Alfasud but I still loved it.

Had a grey XR3i like that one above and it wasn't made of Italian steel so didn't rust. 

My missus had an XR2 and an XR3i cabriolet too.

• Like 1