• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
BondandBigM

The Good Old Days - rose tinted glasses required

33 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I still prefer the early to mid 70's bikes

Late 70's was when I went from this,

B_30e137c570317ec5d9e69611f863e8cd.jpg

to this,

Yamaha%20XT500%2076%20%203.jpg

and discovered things that didn't explode.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Late 70's was when I went from this,

B_30e137c570317ec5d9e69611f863e8cd.jpg

to this,

Yamaha%20XT500%2076%20%203.jpg

and discovered things that didn't explode.

Isn't unreliability the same as character??

53 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

Only when you're selling it. :laughing2dw:

Mind you, those BSA B 50's were successful in the 1973 (I think)  Bol d'or 24 hr race.

Mead-&-Tomkinson-BSA-500-B50-Mead-&-Tomk

CCM did a decent job with them as well

07cbda629770eed8b9b1181ddda0ccaa.jpg

I had a Yamaha XT that went via Spain and Portugal, around the Mediterranean, North Africa, and home, with a few tyre changes, a bit of servicing, and no break downs. I don't think I would have made Plymouth on the BSA.

@BondandBigM

Remember these things ?

https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=5214&country=uk

Two of my mate's had them, with the mandatory two clusters of three Cibie lamps on the front. I do remember my plastic pig Scimitar being a bit quicker. Or maybe that's the rose tints. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Only when you're selling it. :laughing2dw:

Mind you, those BSA B 50's were successful in the 1973 (I think)  Bol d'or 24 hr race.

Mead-&-Tomkinson-BSA-500-B50-Mead-&-Tomk

CCM did a decent job with them as well

07cbda629770eed8b9b1181ddda0ccaa.jpg

I had a Yamaha XT that went via Spain and Portugal, around the Mediterranean, North Africa, and home, with a few tyre changes, a bit of servicing, and no break downs. I don't think I would have made Plymouth on the BSA.

A lad I served my apprenticeship with had a late Goldstar, it was sh1te.His family must've had some money we were only on £14/week and even in 1975 it didn't go far.

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

@BondandBigM

Remember these things ?

https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=5214&country=uk

Two of my mate's had them, with the mandatory two clusters of three Cibie lamps on the front. I do remember my plastic pig Scimitar being a bit quicker. Or maybe that's the rose tints. :laughing2dw:

Yep and it it is rose tinted glasses way quicker than a Scimitar. 

I didn't have a Mk1 but I did have an x-pack Mk2 3.1 with triple down draft Webber carbs, I've had a Scimitar as well and it was no contest by some margin. 

The go to Fast Fierd bloke in the early 70's, back in the day there was one of his Commanche conversions going around town. 

CapriStampedetext.jpg

CapriStampederelease.jpg

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Yep and it it is rose tinted glasses way quicker than a Scimitar. 

I bought mine (SE5A) on a whim at an auction of a deceased collectors estate, nobody was bidding on it, so I got it cheap. It came with quite a few mods, 24 gallon fuel tank, instead of the standard 17, full stainless exhaust system, twin SU carburetors (which had to be removed to get the rocker covers off) and what appeared to be a higher geared diff. It was ridiculous to insure, and that was why it eventually had to go. The quoted top speed for these things was 120. Being honest, it was a pretty horrible car.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2019 at 22:03, BondandBigM said:

I owned three, three versions that is.

Mark 2 = 1.6 L

Mark 4 =1.4 GLS

Mark 5 = 2.0 GTI ?

The 2.0ltr was quite a bit of fun, it was white, and, it was stolen three times, clearly some other people liked it. :biggrin:

On 03/12/2019 at 12:59, Turpinr said:

I had one of these, can't understand the price they go for now...nearly £2000

Honda 125 TL

s-l300.jpg

21 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I had one of these, can't understand the price they go for now...nearly £2000

Honda 125 TL

s-l300.jpg

Possibly because they were/are exceptionally good. I have a couple of mates that have them, and both have taken the original engine out to save it, and put in the CG 125 pushrod motor, and a big note kit. Which I think is better anyway.

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Possibly because they were/are exceptionally good. I have a couple of mates that have them, and both have taken the original engine out to save it, and put in the CG 125 pushrod motor, and a big note kit. Which I think is better anyway.

Yes, I did have some fun on it. I was about 15 years old when I had it. All off road stuff and loads of thrills and plenty of spills. 

2 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Yes, I did have some fun on it. I was about 15 years old when I had it. All off road stuff and loads of thrills and plenty of spills. 

I've seen some really clean ones making around £2300. The spares are still available for them, and compared with paying upwards of £5K for a "Fizzie" that doesn't seem too bad a deal. You've got me thinking now, stick a lighting kit on one, and you've got the perfect winter bike. Plus no tax or MOT to worry about either. :hmmm9uh:

• Like 1

This is what being 16 was all about.I got mine on the 1st August 1974  when N was the new registration letter.I kept it for a year then got a motorbike at 17 but my dad still used it for getting to work sometimes.

I think the sports moped craze kicked off the year before with both the Honda and Yamaha offerings being popular.

The European mopeds from Gilera, Garelli, Malagutti, Puch, Fantic were quicker but their electrics, particularly the magnetos were prone to failure.

For £200 the SS50 was a cracker and unlike the faster European 2 strokes had a kick start and indicators.On top of that it would do about 150 mpg which was ideal if you were at school/college or doing an apprenticeship.

At 39mph it was no fire breather though :laugh:

20191205_081828.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

At 39mph it was no fire breather though

That was a fast one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

That was a fast one.

Had 50 mph out of it a couple of times, once downhill and once when a mate on a RD250 was pushing me.:laugh:

One lad a Garelli Rekord, nearly 70mph with the wind behind him, slower than mine with the wind against.:laugh:

Tax was £5, insurance £4, those were the days.We had kex wider than Boris Johnson's ar5e.

Me circa 1972 while I was still at school 

Daviescirca1971Photo_0001int.jpg.b4318a780cd51b48f60d932ccd938fe6.jpg

& later in the same decade while I was doing my Psychiatric Nurse training..

DaviesHippyPhotocolourint.jpg.e1c48a4001f1ee95acea5ae56f52dffe.jpg

Motorcycles  I owned in that period included an ex AA BSA M21 600cc outfit...

image.jpeg.5f9eb29f35d9acd0fb4b2026b90e587e.jpeg

Admittedly mine was rather more tatty then that but it was generally reliable:biggrin:

Later I brought   new Cossack (KMZ Dneiper) MT9 650cc outfit, complete with reverse gear 580602482_(46).gif.6b9b325f5f62bfffb8fdc040ea71d8d4.gif 

9Image result for dnepr mt9 outfit

:biggrin:

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

Me circa 1972 while I was still at school 

Daviescirca1971Photo_0001int.jpg.b4318a780cd51b48f60d932ccd938fe6.jpg

& later in the same decade while I was doing my Psychiatric Nurse training..

DaviesHippyPhotocolourint.jpg.e1c48a4001f1ee95acea5ae56f52dffe.jpg

Motorcycles  I owned in that period included an ex AA BSA M21 600cc outfit...

image.jpeg.5f9eb29f35d9acd0fb4b2026b90e587e.jpeg

Admittedly mine was rather more tatty then that but it was generally reliable:biggrin:

Later I brought   new Cossack (KMZ Dneiper) MT9 650cc outfit, complete with reverse gear 580602482_(46).gif.6b9b325f5f62bfffb8fdc040ea71d8d4.gif 

9Image result for dnepr mt9 outfit

:biggrin:

Nice diggers :thumbsup: I think I had a feather cut in '72.

I had a flat top in '84 and still do, albeit a grey one

Edited by Turpinr

Let's move this thread away from motorised transport. 

Sometimes the rose tinted glasses years were actually quite good. 

A bit like my filthy battered worn out old Beckenbauers that should have been chucked in the bin years ago 

There's just something about them

2019-12-06_08-46-04

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

A bit like my filthy battered worn out old Beckenbauers that should have been chucked in the bin years ago 

Had a similar  pair in the early 70's called Adidas ROM and made in  Czechoslovakia.

3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Sometimes the rose tinted glasses years were actually quite good. 

Pub rock. Out every Friday and Saturday night, loads of different bands every week, all stopped now.

sometimes walked the 15 miles home pi$$ed.

11 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

There's just something about them

2019-12-06_08-46-04

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

They look pretty clean by my standards...you should see some of mine...:laughing2dw:

I loved the skinhead and suedehead fashions of the early 70's.A crew cut, obviously for a skin or a feather cut for the suedehead/brolly boy.

Some of the older skins has sheepskin jackets but I preferred a Harrington or Crombie and I've still got both.

Two tone parallels, petrol blue were my favourites and a checked Bennie (Ben Sherman) with a pair of Como or Royal brogue.

Parallel jeans had to be Skinners, white or blue, although scousers had their own make called Flemings that were made in Wavertree I think.

Boots were DM's but I think the smallest size was 6 so Monkey boots suited smaller feet.

Ska, Soul and Motown Music.