• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Seiko 6139 6012 Helmet Chrono Incoming 1971

That looks the part Nigel and great condition!!
Cheers Martin
Thanks Martin, it looks very original and in good nick doesnt it. Thanks for your view there on this one, very much appreciated as always. Cheers nigel

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Just doing a bit of background on this and the seller has told me they have had it 10 years and that originally it would have had a bracelet. Looking at the seiko catalogue my watch is reference AH101 SSWRL 17j as below subset picture 5...which looks to show it on a 'wishbone'. I know repros are on the bay and one will be fine. Just need to confirm 19 or 20mm lugs...its on a 20mm strap at the moment. 

Image result for seiko 6139 6012 helmet

• Like 1

ive tracked some down there are a few available on the bay ranging in price from 20 to 40 quid and all look the same. So ive got this one to go on it.

SEIKO-FISHBONE-S-Steel-Gents-Watch-Strap-20mm-BullHead-6138-0040-NEW-V-2

the z040s reference seems to cover them all regardless of price.

solid links and pins look like push through, not bad for 20 quid. 

• Like 2

These bracelets are not bad, but I had to change the clasp to a 'sterile' one as they are not made by Seiko so with the branding it is fake.  Quite happy fitting OEM like this, but not if it might be seen as passing it off as an original.

The Helmet will wear very differently to the super slim watches you have favoured.  Look out for door frames!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

These bracelets are not bad, but I had to change the clasp to a 'sterile' one as they are not made by Seiko so with the branding it is fake.  Quite happy fitting OEM like this, but not if it might be seen as passing it off as an original.

The Helmet will wear very differently to the super slim watches you have favoured.  Look out for door frames!

as long as it fits im happy, might look out for a gen eventually, the code number 04 gives it away as a repro the original was 05 so that documented should identify the repro for the purposes of here and else where. But yes fitting an aftermarket clasp rules out confusion. 

As an aside ive found more here, they are also referred to as the Vadar????

Yes it will wear a lot chunkier as will the batman, i guess im going through a 70s phase of chunky. 

https://www.timeline.watch/watch/1977-seiko-helmet-darth-vader-6139-7100/

yep i'll watch door frames, cheers scott. :biggrin:

I will fit a sterile clasp when i get one. 

it reminds me of the 1972 Omega cone i had which has just changed hands again on here. 

old pic of me from here a bit back 

Image result for omega cone nigelp

Dear @Nigelp, may I compliment you on that choice of watch. Looking at the other colourways, I reckon you have chosen the nicest of the lot. In terms of design and colourway, your example fits neatly into the early development of a particular aesthetic style so eloquently fostered by Braun and Porche Design among other forward thinking companies - including, it seems, Seiko. Nice one...:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

your example fits neatly into the early development of a particular aesthetic style so eloquently fostered by Braun and Porche Design among other forward thinking companies

thanks Honour, yes Im a child of the early 70's born 1972 and it certainly evokes some nostalgia for me, its art, when this sort of thing was at its height in sculpture

Image result for burnley statue children looking into the future

that was in Burnley town centre when i was growing up ''the future''. It was supposed to be 2 childrens vision of the future! Very 70's star gazing :yes:

I guess the watch is of this time i guess @bowie will approve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nigelp said:

thanks Honour, yes Im a child of the early 70's born 1972 and it certainly evokes some nostalgia for me, its art, when this sort of thing was at its height in sculpture

Image result for burnley statue children looking into the future

that was in Burnley town centre when i was growing up ''the future''. It was supposed to be 2 childrens vision of the future! Very 70's star gazing :yes:

I guess the watch is of this time i guess @bowie will approve 

Most excellent choice

• Like 1

hi Nigel,i might be wrong but that bracelet looks larger one end,if so it might be for the bullhead,it will still fit as the ends are still 20mm..............................................uEgyTHh.jpg?1.

Edited by greasemonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, greasemonk said:

hi Nigel,i might be wrong but that bracelet looks larger one end,if so it might be for the bullhead,it will still fit as the ends are still 20mm..............................................uEgyTHh.jpg?1.

yes you are right i couldnt find a repro for the 05 only the 04 (so i need to amend my comments above re Scotts points, my bracelet is a repro for the bull head and it is slightly wider in the last link, thanks for confirming that for me. I had thought it was but wasnt sure. Im not sure i'll fit it permanently  but i will for photos on here and then will probably revert to the di moddel leather rallye ive bought for it. Your Bull head looks superb btw very nice indeed. 

Ive found an interesting link to the Helmet/vadar and Al pacino as Bobby Deerfield, which i'll follow up later. 

For now some more pics and thoughts.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.No photo description available.

Image may contain: 1 person

it wears very comfortably and is in very good condition, its a 40mm but only 43mm lug to lug so it hugs the wrist with the curved shape, it feels very 1970s motor sport inspired to me. The dial colours are lovely in the flesh a matt black dial, brown 60 seconds track and proper 70s fest of a lurid greeny blue and beige/yellowish for the hands and subdials and in the flesh it works well. The plots and hands are very clear in white. For comparison Ive photographed it next to my 36mm 6119. As can be seen by todays standards it is by no means a big watch and it pretty average at 40mm but in 1969 when this was new i expect it made quiet an impact in the pit lane. 

• Like 1

hi Nigel,thanks for the Bobby Deerfield link,never seen that before.i have the more common white dialed version ,i think the black dial makes for a nicer watch  but they are rarer i think.they are a big old lump of a watch which does get noticed.cheers greasemonkey....m3ETew3.jpg?1

Edited by greasemonk
sspelin
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, greasemonk said:

hi Nigel,thanks for the Bobby Deerfield link,never seen that before.i have the more common white dialed version ,i think the black dial makes for a nicer watch  but they are rarer i think.they are a big old lump of a watch which does get noticed.cheers greasemonkey....m3ETew3.jpg?1

nice...ive just been playing with mine and noticed the roulette date wheel, thats something to look forward to on a dull sunday, its the little things that make us happy isnt it :biggrin:. The white looks great too very clean, they remind me of the omega cone in shape and feel on the wrist. Yes the bobby deerfield is a bit of fun to go with them. I guess we could call them the bobby deerfield, there seem to be all sorts of names being given to old seikos these days. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Welcome to the 6139 club, Nigel....that's a stunning looking piece! :thumbsup:

Thanks Roger, ive fitted the aftermarket fishbone and luckily when it arrived it wasnt for the bull head with no flairs but fairly straight as seen in the pictures. It feels better on its original style bracelet even if it is an after market one, its well made with solid links and well finished for 16 quid delivered what is not to like.