• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
alex005

BW legal threatening my brother

Hi,

What cases can be pursued by companies that are threatening like BW legal?

They threatening my brother to take him to court and sue him because of the parking. He was only 18.

Can that be?

If due process has been followed then they could take him to the county court and potentially send out a baliff but by that stage the `debt' would have become much bigger.

Basic process would be - your brother gets a parking ticket stating he has a fine to pay. Often this will show an amount due with an option to pay a lower amount within 7 days or so. If your brother ignore this then the debt could be sent to a collection agency such as BW legal. They would then contact your brother to request payment and probably say that court action might be taken if he fails to pay. If payment is not made then they could apply to the county court for a judgement order and there might be some legal fees added to the amount of the parking fine. If the court awards judgement then your brother can pay within a set period and that ends the matter. Fail to pay and BW could go back to the court resulting in more fees and get an enforcement order and the final step could be sending out a bailiff to seize any goods he owns (such as a car).

Apart from the increasing cost, his credit rating could be affected for some years making it difficult to get a mortgage or other loan.

On 06/12/2019 at 10:04, alex005 said:

Hi,

They threatening my brother to take him to court and sue him because of the parking. He was only 18.

Can that be?

:sign_wtf:

• Thanks 1

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 04:04, alex005 said:

Hi,

Can that be?

What role does your brother's age play here?  Why is he resisting payment?  If it's a parking ticket, in the States they don't go away.

On 06/12/2019 at 10:04, alex005 said:

Hi,

Can that be?

I presume you mean your brother received a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) for breaching the terms of contract for parking on private land?  Private parking enforcement firms can apply to the DVLA for the registered keeper's details of a vehicle parked in breach of contract terms on private land - those terms being displayed on notices on that land.  If someone gets a PCN, never ignore it.  It's important to respond and appeal if you think you have strong grounds so to do - if necessary get advice from the CAB.

What @richy176 said is correct.  The last thing your brother needs is CCJ against his name.  And yes, in the end bailiffs will come and take goods to the value of the judgement.  If you try to stop them the police will turn up.

There is 'The Parking (Code of Practice) Act 2019' which formalises an appeal process for PCNs issued in England, Scotland and Wales, which was due to come into effect last summer if I recall correctly, but it's a process and you must follow it.

I would recommend you get advice if you can.

6 minutes ago, normdiaz said:

Is this the same as "troll"?

Aye, kind of. A crank is someone who's a couple of sprouts short of a Christmas dinner :whistle:

56 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Aye, kind of. A crank is someone who's a couple of sprouts short of a Christmas dinner :whistle:

O.K. I "hear" you. :beer:

Edited by normdiaz

2 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

This is hilarious. Have any of you read the OP's previous two posts? He's a crank.

I answered this and a similar post in good faith but also used the `report post' option to bring both posts to the attention of the mods in case they were scam posts. I have enough spare time in my life to give the benefit of the doubt to forum members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 04:04, alex005 said:

Hi,

Can that be?

It's only a "threat" if it can't be carried out, IMHO.

On 09/12/2019 at 21:05, it'salivejim said:

This is hilarious. Have any of you read the OP's previous two posts? He's a crank.

Obviously I hadn't :laugh:.  Crank is a word that seems to have fallen out of use a bit - I think we should use it more :biggrin:

On 09/12/2019 at 23:16, richy176 said:

I answered this and a similar post in good faith but also used the `report post' option to bring both posts to the attention of the mods in case they were scam posts. I have enough spare time in my life to give the benefit of the doubt to forum members.

+1  and maybe someone else will find some of the replies useful...

• Like 1