• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Chris 810

Imports from japan

I am looking at the Speedmaster tripple date i already have a seamaster with the 861 movement and i dont like speedys so i thought i might try a tripple date as it is a bit smaller than the regular speedmaster. ( i don’t  like the way the reduced speedy’s sub dials cut into the numerals ) they seem to be a good bet in japan but what sort of taxes will i be paying, im assuming 30% with import and vat. Is that correct ? 

anyone any experience of this ? Good places to look at etc etc ?

4 hours ago, Chris 810 said:

I am looking at the Speedmaster tripple date i already have a seamaster with the 861 movement and i dont like speedys so i thought i might try a tripple date as it is a bit smaller than the regular speedmaster. ( i don’t  like the way the reduced speedy’s sub dials cut into the numerals ) they seem to be a good bet in japan but what sort of taxes will i be paying, im assuming 30% with import and vat. Is that correct ? 

anyone any experience of this ? Good places to look at etc etc ?

VAT, plus collection charge from the carrier, I don't think there is any additional duty importing from Japan

Ive bought a few from Japan and they always get stopped by Customs with a charge to pay, so i assumed that was import duty? Same from North America. They arrive at my local DO and i get a notification via the tracking there is a charge to pay, so i pay it online via the royal mail website. Its usually about 30% of the total value of the order. 

the packages when collected have a sticker on 'customs duty to pay' 

And then paid 

They are charged from the information the seller puts on a label stating the price paid for the order total 

Edited by Nigelp

59 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Ive bought a few from Japan and they always get stopped by Customs with a charge to pay, so i assumed that was import duty? Same from North America. They arrive at my local DO and i get a notification via the tracking there is a charge to pay, so i pay it online via the royal mail website. Its usually about 30% of the total value of the order. 

the packages when collected have a sticker on 'customs duty to pay' 

And then paid 

They are charged from the information the seller puts on a label stating the price paid for the order total 

And on odd occasions, you think you've struck it lucky as it's delivered and no mention of customs charge, only for an Invoice to arrive from DHL a few weeks after delivery with the customs charge. :(

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

And on odd occasions, you think you've struck it lucky as it's delivered and no mention of customs charge, only for an Invoice to arrive from DHL a few weeks after delivery with the customs charge. :(

unless the seller describes it as a model kit with no glue :thumbsup:

Image result for arthur daley daimler

how do you fancy a used Jag?

@wrenny1969 fancy chopping in that 330 coup auto for a golf gti and a load of old seiko?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

unless the seller describes it as a model kit with no glue :thumbsup:

Image result for arthur daley daimler

how do you fancy a used Jag?

@wrenny1969 fancy chopping in that 330 coup auto for a golf gti and a load of old seiko?

I might have to part company with it if I move to Spain next year - I will give you first refusal, mah sahn.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I might have to part company with it if I move to Spain next year - I will give you first refusal, mah sahn.

i'll start saving :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

20% duty payable on watches from non-EU.

i did a post on CCCNs and import duty a while ago, long, boring subject..... if you want to try and avoid import tax, if the seller marks it as a gift, you may get away with it

Thanks all 

i am not wanting to avoid the import tax just to know what it is and therefore if i am getting a reasonable deal or not.

Any recommendations re dealers ? 

11 minutes ago, Chris 810 said:

Any recommendations re dealers ? 

Prestige Watches , UK dealer ( eBay & Chrono24 ) often have Triples for around £1500 ....

Be wary of carefully taken images that reveal nothing about the condition of the watch.

It’s a PITA to send back to Japan, claiming the VAT back, etc. 

15 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Be wary of carefully taken images that reveal nothing about the condition of the watch.

It’s a PITA to send back to Japan, claiming the VAT back, etc. 

The voice of reason. Take note.

I've had success with watches from Japan. Sources my Lord Matic and my brother's Lord Marvel from there and for exactly as I expected. Paid a charge and handling fee on both but it was hard to be disappointed given both watches were relatively cheap and in good condition