• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jonesinamillion

Forum slow down....

Seems obvious to me that the past few months have seen quite a dramatic slow down in traffic on here.... Notably less items in classifieds, less interest in comps and fewer posts on the main page.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing (posts / threads in general seem more considered) but it would be a shame if it slowed to a trickle; I probably prefered it more vibrant but that's a different opinion for everyone.

Can this be linked to the uncertainty of Brexit :laugh: or are there other factors at play?

Long live the forum :rltrlt:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

i am a member on a few forums this is by far the most active the trike forum im on is nearly dead compared to two years ago most folk on there now use face book . it is also a busy time of year for people

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ging said:

i am a member on a few forums this is by far the most active the trike forum im on is nearly dead compared to two years ago most folk on there now use face book . it is also a busy time of year for people

I was chatting to my youngest son yesterday,he no longer uses eBay or gumtree ,manages to sell on Facebook.Im a bit old to start there.

Maybe the problems in the sales corner are putting people off......if some members visited for the sales corner they probably continued on to the the main forums ..but as the sales corner is so jumbled they may have given up in desperation?

• Like 2

Quality not quantity.  The repeatative threads about best buckle tangs etc have largely stopped now.  Personally I would like a return to fewer WRUW threads, and instead of being daily have Quartz Wednesday, WRUW Saturday and Vintage Sunday, but I wouldn't stop people posting every day if they wanted to.

Thinking of new threads is harder once you have been on here ten years, but how about one sticky to show new arrivals?  Each time a member wants to share a new arrival it all goes on the same thread.  I would exclude myself for fear of boring people (I bought 24 at the weekend!).  It could be split between new watches and vintage, or just combined.  I'll let someone else start this is they think it is a good idea.

• Like 6

I am just by coincidence in a very quiet watch phase..... 

I have noticed that some pretty useful and informative posters visit here less often , @Padders and @Lampoc spring to mind but there a few others ....

This is still the go to place for me though .... :thumbsup:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I have noticed that some pretty useful and informative posters visit here less often , @Padders and @Lampoc spring to mind but there a few others ....

They are both active elsewhere and others, I suppose the question is why? :)

Cheers Martin

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

Quality not quantity.  The repeatative threads about best buckle tangs etc have largely stopped now.  Personally I would like a return to fewer WRUW threads, and instead of being daily have Quartz Wednesday, WRUW Saturday and Vintage Sunday, .

I probably agree, but that would be even less traffic ...:rolleyes:

Cheers Martin

• Thanks 1

just a sign of the times?, I already said i have lost two car forums and two push bike forums to Facebook groups ,i am not on Facebook ( wife is so keep in touch that way).

with a stable watch collection I don't post in every WRUW thread to avoid repetition, and I join thread's when I can contribute or  have some banter. I would love to contribute some technical threads but I just don't have any knowledge  ( well wen it comes to watches):biggrin:

I sincerely hope this forum does not go the way of the others :(

deano

• Like 4

I’m a sporadic poster. I have a read most days but sometimes just don’t have anything useful to contribute.

Im still a big fan of the forum though. Filled with lovely, helpful souls!!!

• Like 5

I belong to one other watch forum and a lot of the posts on it are pretty rubbish, I've scratched my watch, is it safe, your watch and your wallet, Your watch and attire.  ( FYI posting a picture of your watch on a car tyre don't go down too well. )

I enjoy this forum for the relaxed atmosphere and not so many useless threads. As for WUW shots as 99% of the population don't give a rats ass what watch your wearing it's nice to show other like minded nutters your pride and joy.

I belonged to two Honda Blackbird forums which thrived until facesrse arrived, they are now both dead. 

I hope it's just an hiatus?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am newbie , the forum seems to tick over at a steady pace, not too many 'Junk' posts and friendly, relevant answers to questions, even when i am being an idiot....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

I follow TWF just to see if @BondandBigM is going to survive another night on the lash; what used car @Nigelp is currently throwing cash at and finally to see if @mach 0.0013137 will shave his arms so we can finally see his watches.

Will shave his arms so we can finally see his watches.:laughing2dw:

that's a cracker :laugh:

6 hours ago, Bonzodog said:

Like me most members are miserable old gits :tongue:

Why only most :laugh: of the old ones ?

57 minutes ago, Cyclops930 said:

I belong to one other watch forum and a lot of the posts on it are pretty rubbish, I've scratched my watch, is it safe, your watch and your wallet, Your watch and attire.  ( FYI posting a picture of your watch on a car tyre don't go down too well. )

I enjoy this forum for the relaxed atmosphere and not so many useless threads. As for WUW shots as 99% of the population don't give a rats ass what watch your wearing it's nice to show other like minded nutters your pride and joy.

I belonged to two Honda Blackbird forums which thrived until facesrse arrived, they are now both dead. 

If it's the watch forum I go on there are hardly any reasonably priced watches and they're always at 'meetings' of the planets most important people admiring one another's Audemat Piguet limited edition that cost £23,000,0000:laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Quality not quantity.  The repeatative threads about best buckle tangs etc have largely stopped now.  Personally I would like a return to fewer WRUW threads, and instead of being daily have Quartz Wednesday, WRUW Saturday and Vintage Sunday, but I wouldn't stop people posting every day if they wanted to.

Thinking of new threads is harder once you have been on here ten years, but how about one sticky to show new arrivals?  Each time a member wants to share a new arrival it all goes on the same thread.  I would exclude myself for fear of boring people (I bought 24 at the weekend!).  It could be split between new watches and vintage, or just combined.  I'll let someone else start this is they think it is a good idea.

Vintage sunday sounds good  - more watches and less politics.    vin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyclops930 said:

+1 to this.

I've been content with my watch collection for the last few months so haven't had anything new to show or crow about as such I've not been posting as much as I used to. The forum is a fair bit quieter that it used to be but I think these things happen from time to time & what goes around comes around & it'll pick up again (hopefully).

I have to say that I much prefer it here to the other UK (Yorkshire) based watch forum I'm a member of, 99% of the watches shown on there are about million times above my meagre budget & whilst they're very nice eye candy they're not achievable financially speaking for me & therefore not really of that much interest. Another point against it is that many of the threads I start reading end up as slanging matches between arsey members which is not really what I want to read or be a part of.

I've been a member on here since it first began (I think) & it's always been a friendly place with little (I won't say none) of the flaming/mass arguments that seem to erupt on many of the other forums I frequent.

In short I like coming here & will continue to do so for as long as it, or me, are around. Long live The Watch Forum :clap::thumbs_up:

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 16/12/2019 at 08:10, Bonzodog said:

Like me most members are miserable old gits :tongue:

I resent that comment, I`m not an old git,  as it says in my signature - I`m a "Grumpy (retired) old man & proud of it!!!"

930822198_(62).gif.2407220b79326aaf3b913f519330e6ab.gif

76974352_(31).gif.d9a08d27527f5972837c1d2e52b0da64.gif

23 hours ago, Davey P said:

Burn him!!! :angry:

:laughing2dw:

Be not concerned,Davey, the forum moderators will be paying him a visit shortly to discuss the matter.. 1222034665_(63).gif.d2ea91e87a957749f2b121f2b80bde01.gif1762193925_(60).gif.21acf1c5b53f022fba55590bf0bd6061.gif

483289108_tongue.gif.3d91aed7659998087bc80b56200c334c2.gif.30c55aa4d74c366b203e7d1e922ee67f.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I resent that comment, I`m not an old git  as it says in my signature - I`m a "Grumpy (retired) old man & proud of it!!!"

930822198_(62).gif.2407220b79326aaf3b913f519330e6ab.gif

76974352_(31).gif.d9a08d27527f5972837c1d2e52b0da64.gif

Be not concerned,Davey, the forum moderators will be paying him a visit shortly to discuss the matter.. 1222034665_(63).gif.d2ea91e87a957749f2b121f2b80bde01.gif1762193925_(60).gif.21acf1c5b53f022fba55590bf0bd6061.gif

483289108_tongue.gif.3d91aed7659998087bc80b56200c334c2.gif.30c55aa4d74c366b203e7d1e922ee67f.gif

Resent but no denial :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Not a fan of Facebook so that passes me by as not my cup of tea at all.

Lots of members have vanished which is a real shame and sorry to have to say folks:                                                                                      you are stuck with me:laugh:.

I have not seen a single Watch I fancy buying apart from a Seiko mini turtle or another CW both of which currently I have no funds for and the Seiko is a tad to dear for what it is, maybe a good thing as I really need to buy some more tools If I am to progress with my Watch repair career.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I am just by coincidence in a very quiet watch phase..... 

This is still the go to place for me though .... :thumbsup:

I still pop in occasionally but it's just that not much happens here compared to the other, bigger UK based watch forum. Also, it seems to be getting more and more cliquey here lately and I can't be doing with that to be honest. Sure, there's cliques over at the other forum but the size of it means they're pretty much drowned out most of the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, martinzx said:

I probably agree, but that would be even less traffic ...:rolleyes:

Cheers Martin

I agree, I do like seeing what folk are wearing, and don't mind if it's repetitive, always glad to see watches, and to post some of my oddments that are not special at all really, just old and still going!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lampoc said:

I still pop in occasionally but it's just that not much happens here compared to the other, bigger UK based watch forum. Also, it seems to be getting more and more cliquey here lately and I can't be doing with that to be honest. Sure, there's cliques over at the other forum but the size of it means they're pretty much drowned out most of the time.

Wow :batman:... that was just like shining a Bat Signal in the sky ... :thumbsup:

• Like 1