Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jonesinamillion

Forum slow down....

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I only really entertain Bouillabaise in the southern part of France where the stock is properly reduced and the use of Tarragon is more subtle.... I know @WRENCH was dicking around about the Flint film , but that scene does seem pretty well researched.... Marseille is the home of a proper one and its not a watery "tourist's mess" ... certainly never had a decent one in the UK ...:thumbsup:  

I must admit, I would definitely consume all the ingredients from that pic of the Bouillabaisse, as I love all shellfish...it's the tomato flavoured liquor that would put me off. I must be the only person ever who loathes tomato soup with a vengeance. However, genuine French onion soup as @wrenny1969 describes above is one of my all time favourites. I remember staying in a hotel in Fuenteventura where they had it on the menu...I reckon they had one big pot which they kept dipping into each day, as it got better and better as the week went on. Then they must have made a new batch, as it suddenly went weak and watery...very unlike the first lot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

Gruyere cheese is the most expensive ingredient.

Nom Nom...French Onion soup.  d030.gif

I also use Emmental with the Gruyère with a cup of Bordeaux per four servings.

 

Chef-2.gif

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

A watch is no different to any other consumable...

18 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Nonsense.

Actually, I think the first comment is quite telling.  Mrs W may literally regard his "cheaper" watches as consumables whereas those of us that choose to spend more on higher quality products regard them as durables.

Anyway, with all this talk of people looking down on others based on their choice of fish cuisine, I think I'll leave this discussion.  I know my plaice.

 

Edited by rhaythorne
Spelling!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has become one of the most extraordinary mixtures I have ever seen. If anyone thought that there was a Forum slowdown, they haven't looked at this thread. The heat is most definitely ON.:laugh:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I must admit, I would definitely consume all the ingredients from that pic of the Bouillabaisse, as I love all shellfish...it's the tomato flavoured liquor that would put me off. I must be the only person ever who loathes tomato soup with a vengeance. However, genuine French onion soup as @wrenny1969 describes above is one of my all time favourites. I remember staying in a hotel in Fuenteventura where they had it on the menu...I reckon they had one big pot which they kept dipping into each day, as it got better and better as the week went on. Then they must have made a new batch, as it suddenly went weak and watery...very unlike the first lot.

French Onion soup for me is all about freshness and the use of a freshly crushed peppercorn medley to season which should include coriander pods.... gives it a great boost. To keep away that "tomato soup" feel to Bouillabaisse , I would suggest seeking out a recipe that uses a dash of Pastis ,,,, perhaps Ricard51 or similar... and as mentioned , a decent reduction of the sauce. Some purists say that the fennel means there is no need for Pastis but so long as its a sharp one like Ricard then it will not unbalance things.... [ god I love cooking .... ] :drinks:

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

This thread has become one of the most extraordinary mixtures I have ever seen. If anyone thought that there was a Forum slowdown, they haven't looked at this thread. The heat is most definitely ON.:laugh:

Always expect the unexpected, anyway christmas is coming and people are getting giddy so that might explain it........or not.:rolleyes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

This thread has become one of the most extraordinary mixtures I have ever seen. If anyone thought that there was a Forum slowdown, they haven't looked at this thread. The heat is most definitely ON.:laugh:

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's my obsession with Sir David, some members must think know I'm odd.  I'm really harmless.  :tongue:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I must admit, I would definitely consume all the ingredients from that pic of the Bouillabaisse, as I love all shellfish...it's the tomato flavoured liquor that would put me off. I must be the only person ever who loathes tomato soup with a vengeance. However, genuine French onion soup as @wrenny1969 describes above is one of my all time favourites. I remember staying in a hotel in Fuenteventura where they had it on the menu...I reckon they had one big pot which they kept dipping into each day, as it got better and better as the week went on. Then they must have made a new batch, as it suddenly went weak and watery...very unlike the first lot.

Indeed, I make a rather splendid French onion soup, and the longer left, the better it gets. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the slow down also be to do with the like button that it is easier to click on that than reply to the article as we are getting so lazy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cassie-O said:

I think it's my obsession with Sir David, some members must think know I'm odd.  I'm really harmless.  :tongue:

Best not mention the word odd ,odd is normal here:laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cassie-O said:

  I'm really harmless.  :tongue:

Dubious claim .... I still spend hours researching Casio Watches .... i deem that harmful ... and your fault ... :laugh:x

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Abby,

I don't know what to do. My sister is a hooker downtown and my brother was just arrested on drug charges.

How to I tell my parents that I'm on the Watch Forum?

:swoon:

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I think a proper Cullen skink (a rather thick, very tasty looking soup of smoked haddock, potatoes and onions) would be preferable to the rather watery French, tomato based bouillabaise. By the way, most skinks are actually smooth, slow worm like lizards, but with small legs...unlike the common slow worm which has none.

Cullen Skink...

cullen-skink.jpg

Bouillabaisse...

Bouillabaisse-Top-View.jpg

Skink...

b-common-skink-565.jpg

ill stick to steak and chips 

16 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

Dear Abby,

I don't know what to do. My sister is a hooker downtown and my brother was just arrested on drug charges.

How to I tell my parents that I'm on the Watch Forum?

:swoon:

you cant they will think you are gay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

ill stick to steak and chips 

 

C'mon, Nige...you know what they say...don't knock it until you've tried it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

you were called out trying to claim a fish finger in tomato soup is Bouillabaisse ,,,,, well its not

that's why I always use PayPal

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

C'mon, Nige...you know what they say...don't knock it until you've tried it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

i dont even like the smell of curry or tomato sauce im very reserved in real life rog  not at all like nigelp :)

when i come on here i under go a change. 

 

im as well behaved as the local priest in real life. 

you ask @wrenny1969

im a true English gent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

i dont even like the smell of curry or tomato sauce im very reserved in real life rog  not at all like nigelp :)

when i come on here i under go a change. 

im as well behaved as the local priest in real life. 

you ask @wrenny1969

im a true English gent. 

aye he is at that - wouldn't even touch my French onion soup because of the garlic and the fact it has "French" in it :) 

I'm going to get 2 days out of this batch

49243940586_d3c30e84d5_c.jpgonion soup by David Wren, on Flickr

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wrenny1969 said:

aye he is at that - wouldn't even touch my French onion soup because of the garlic and the fact it has "French" in it :) 

I'm going to get 2 days out of this batch

49243940586_d3c30e84d5_c.jpgonion soup by David Wren, on Flickr

 

thank you David, sir. Im on hollands potatopie chips and peas.  

1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I'd noticed....it's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Nige.....:laughing2dw:

I know im trying to get him under control. :watch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...