• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Incoming 6309 7040 Suwa 1978

Pics to follow possibly in the wruw as there seems little to add apart from its one we all know. Suwa turtle pre 1980 with wabi, suwa s dial, shallow date bevel, stylised suwa 's' obviously. Short 6 plot etc. 7040 so its a Jap/rest of world and not north america....roll on Jaws.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

i'll post pics when it arrives it checks out for a full original suwa on wus

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/how-buy-seiko-6309-diver-collectors-buying-guide-140799.html

ive bought a hand made leather too off the bay because its the sort of watch that will suit one, its on a rubber at the mo, ive had them before these are very nice

ive gone for a dark grey not shown 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lawr389/m.html?item=372795250101&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

a sneek preview

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

the all important 'japan a' for a suwa

wide crown guard

s-l1600.jpg

suwa dial, with the short 6 plot

shallow bevel on the day date...ok its got its fair share of wabi, but i didnt want a mint looking post 1980 one claiming to be a suwa with aftermarket dial, i didnt even want an after market bezel insert. I wanted it untouched and this was the best i could get, as i also didnt want to pay a grand or more...

it should make a cool beater. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jsud2002 said:

Thats a cracking looking watch Nigel , looking forward to your opinion on the handmade strap. 

thanks mate ill get pics on tomorrow, its a rare pre 80 suwa a 78 in fact. 

and all looks un messed with its a gem. 

• Like 1

Its here and i love it. Despite being 45mm dia its only 47 lug to lug and the case is very comfy to wear. And it checks out on all the WUS buying criteria, ie case machined / satin, with the 2 main creases, original does not look to have received any polishing, crown recess lips there.

Crown smooth screw down and long. No case pitting. Lug pin holes all good with no or little free strap movement.

Crown taking what feels like a full 3 turns at least to screw and smooth.

Bezel angled bi directional and smooth not too tight or loose. Bezel looks original and insert.

Bezel looks right ie the sides are not flat. But wider from top to bottom like a slight cone.

Crystal looks new but is correct flat and with slight frosting on the beveled edge.

The all important case back....is correct for a pre 1970 suwa ie 'Japan A'. It shows no signs of polishing as the styalused suwa s is correct rather than looking like two number 1's.

The all important dial again checks out....suwa mark above 6. 6 plot does not extend fully to bottom of dial which is correct (after market dials on post 1980 turtles bearing the sewa symbol are wrong in this respect. Also dial writing on bottom Japan 6309 704LT is correct early suwa 1976 to 1980 ie early Japan made watches, before production was moved to singapore. Water resist has taken on the oft talked of colour change from red to grey yellow.

The bevel around the date is there and shallow.

All plots are correct and not extending full in terms of lume which is a correct fabric type finish though aged on this example.

Hands correct sharpe with flat lume. Movement all nice and clean with little indication of brassing or barrel wear.

Lastly the strap i knew this was a replacement but to my delight its a lovely soft original seiko z22 and buckle. The originals were coded GL831 Japan and had flat ridges.

some pics

No photo description available.

the z22 strap is long on me...these were meant to go over wet suits remember. Ive ordered a black watch obsession nato and a hand made leather in grey. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

Nice one, dear @Nigelp - good to know that you are not going to "tart it up" so to speak. :)

No ive learnt my lesson there, the only one i have thats been tarted is the king quartz, like you say they never feel the same i wouldnt do it again, as they say live and learn. 

Heres a catalogue pic from 1978 for you.

6306-catalogue.jpg?w=529&h=772

• Thanks 1

Ive also checked the case size and to be exact 43.8mm diameter and so its not really that big, by modern diver sizes its on the smaller end in fact. And quiet a bit smaller than the re issue, it wears good even on a small wrist, very comfy. 

ive purchased a 1939 ammo strap for this and the seller kindly sent me some photos this is the look that i was after, i think it will look great.

ive been selecting buckle options and asked for the slimmer buckle to also be included on the left top. 

• Like 1

I should probably have put 'old seiko turtle' in the title of this so everyone would have known what i was on about. Any way after a few week of wearing it i like it so much that ive been searching for the best strap option and i thought what better than the original, seems it came on (to quote worn and wound below) a GL831 which ive searched in vain to find until Andy @badgersdad mentioned uncle seiko and i went looking for a tropic. To my suprise when i looked at the site they've remanufactured the accordion GL831 and in short length to, which is ideal for both the watch and my wrist. So ive treated it to one of those. Thanks go to Andy for pointing me in the direction of uncle seiko.

s378755113293535586_p148_i7_w160.jpeg

https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p148/gl831.html

"This diver originally came supplied only with a rubber strap, the Seiko GL831. It is a long, semi-hard rubber/plastic strap that has accordion folds on both sides, along with a nice big steel tang buckle. This strap design has been used with variations continuously up to today with the Z22 strap. Personally I don’t find it to be that comfortable, as they tend to be a bit stiff. Fortunately, with 22mm lugs, the 6309 has nearly limitless strap options, and looks great on just about everything from Isofranes, to shark mesh, to thick leather straps."

http://strapsense.com/2018/11/18/uncle-seiko-gl831-rubber-watch-strap-39-00/

33 minutes ago, badgersdad said:

I think you'll like it @Nigelp. Happy Christmas. 

Same to you Andy. All the best for new year. 

ive completed the set with this old turtle now, with a strapcode super jubilee made for the 6309 7040. 

22mm Super-J Louis 316L Stainless Steel Watch Band for SEIKO Diver 6309-7040

https://www.strapcode.com/collections/for-seiko-6309-7040

SEIKO Diver 6309-7040 replacement band. J Louis-style solid 316L stainless steel bracelet design for Seiko Diver 6309-7040 & 6309-7049 models or other 22mm lug Seiko diver or sport cases with the same curvature as the above models. Generic 2.5mm Diameter stainless steel spring bars & Fold-Over Clasp included.

not cheap...i could have got a used PADI turtle reissue already on a seiko bracelet for not much more, but it wouldn't have been an old original suwa would it? And the strapcode will be better than virtually any watch bracelet on the market...so the old fella had shiny new wheels to go with his weather look...more when it arrives from the stated. £100 quid with ':rolleyes:taxes'

• Like 1

Reading your review of the purchase it strikes me that you have developed quite a detailed view on your quarry, borderline obsessive, which is perhaps as it should be on a watch forum :) 

The aged leather will likely suit the watch best, imho, and it will be interesting to see how the rubber and ss straps marry up vintage and new - although reading the blurb on the rubber strap website it seems likely to have vulcanisation marking from the manufacturing process making them appear secondhand in some cases - which is likely the look you're after?

Nice buy :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

Reading your review of the purchase it strikes me that you have developed quite a detailed view on your quarry, borderline obsessive, which is perhaps as it should be on a watch forum :) 

The aged leather will likely suit the watch best, imho, and it will be interesting to see how the rubber and ss straps marry up vintage and new - although reading the blurb on the rubber strap website it seems likely to have vulcanisation marking from the manufacturing process making them appear secondhand in some cases - which is likely the look you're after?

Nice buy :thumbsup:

thanks david good point i hadnt thought of the latter, yes a bit of sheen would be nice and lets face it i can do the bracelet with a soft grit pad to put a bit of swirl and polish into it....i did that with the fishbone on my chrono. I am obsessive i think, a bit of a perfectionist in reality, all or nothing...as an aside ive just binned my A level and degree certificates along with mith my professional qualifications, im unlikely to need them again. It felt very liberating, not to be tagged by something and to have 'no qualifications' im probably more ironically.... employable now in the real world....also look at the tracking for the rubber strap how cool is this?

Hello nigel pate,

Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on December 27, 2019 at 8:12 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

thanks david good point i hadnt thought of the latter, yes a bit of sheen would be nice and lets face it i can do the bracelet with a soft grit pad to put a bit of swirl and polish into it....i did that with the fishbone on my chrono. I am obsessive i think, a bit of a perfectionist in reality, all or nothing...as an aside ive just binned my A level and degree certificates along with mith my professional qualifications, im unlikely to need them again. It felt very liberating, not to be tagged by something and to have 'no qualifications' im probably more ironically.... employable now in the real world....also look at the tracking for the rubber strap how cool is this?

Hello nigel pate,

Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on December 27, 2019 at 8:12 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

I do like buying from the states just for the updates. You should have kept your certificates - think I've still got mine for swimming a width hanging in my "office" :biggrin: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I do like buying from the states just for the updates. You should have kept your certificates - think I've still got mine for swimming a width hanging in my "office" :biggrin: 

i was more proud of my 25 meter breast stroke, the rest was just costly brain washing. :biggrin:

i feel back to where i was when i was 11...a free mind ready to take on all comers. 

on their level 

• Like 1

The strapcode jubilee arrived today for the 6309 this is the one specially made for the cushion case. Under their miltat brand. Youve got to be impressed with the level of quality in these strapcode bracelets. 100 quid all the way from hong kong in a few days via fed ex. With seiko fat boy spring bars. These are better than any oem bracelet ive had. No wonder they are popular fitment for anything from seiko divers to some highr end tackle. 

1577961969280-901761194.jpg

1577962001064-1891639605.jpg

15779621479541360809864.jpg

• Like 1

Fitted the miltat in needed a slight adjustment to fit with the fat boy spring bars. I think it works well. I was afraid the end links would over power the case on an old turtle, but they dont as strapcode have made them nice and shallow. It feels great on it and fits the wrist well. It doesnt even look to glitzy on the old case. Ive the uncle seiko rubber coming soon but it feels happy on this tonight. Sort of a retired feet up diver in a decent suit. 

1577996681793-901761194.jpg

1577996742844-1891639605.jpg

15779967626051360809864.jpg

• Like 1

Very pleased with the uncle seiko GL831. Very nice thing. This would have been the full look new in 78. Minus the wabi. Im spoilt not as what ti wear it on. 

1578066668435-901761194.jpg

1578066685266-1891639605.jpg

15780667130611360809864.jpg

1578066739512614807622.jpg

15780667784981406888865.jpg

The accordian folds look spot on. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

Of the two I prefer it on rubber - looks great imho - when does the leather strap arrive?

yes its miles the best on the original style rubber as intended, the leather, i have that and im still looking for the appropriate watch, the diver felt a bit caveman on it and im thinking the leather needs a pam...or something. 

• Like 1