• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Mrs Wiggles

Have you ever bought a watch for investment purposes

I was doing a little research about investment watches I could afford. This one caught my eye. It's a Seiko Giugario Alien watch. Usual stuff, Hardlex crystal, 100m WR, PVD case and bracelet, and a 5 year battery life. Needless to say, the looks are quite Marmite, but I am a fan of the unusual. To be honest, the grey version is the most sort after, and commonly known as The Ellen Ripley, whilst the black is the Bishop. Needless to say the characters from the film Alien. The one I have purchased is one of a 2000 limited addition re-release. I was unable to buy from either the UK or Europe, but have agreed a deal with a seller from Japan for an unused one, £130 delivered. I intend to enjoy and wear it, but if one day we fall out of love, I feel confident a healthy profit should be made. Buying as investment isn't something I have done for many years, and I sort of feel uncomfortable about it, should I ?

Note, this isn't the watch I have purchased, but the design is identical

b6NU0V2.jpg

No, I buy watches to wear and enjoy, investment & re-sale value etc never figures into my thinking.

If i did buy watches as investments, I wouldn't enjoy watch collecting the same, as I am sure I would be too worried about damaging my investments rather than enjoying wearing them as I do now, just wouldn't be fun anymore IMO.

For me investments are about love of money rather than love of watches.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

No, I buy watches to wear and enjoy, investment & re-sale value etc never figures into my thinking.

If i did buy watches as investments, I wouldn't enjoy watch collecting the same, as I am sure I would be too worried about damaging my investments rather than enjoying wearing them as I do now, just wouldn't be fun anymore IMO.

For me investments are about love of money rather than love of watches.

Agree totally.

And, anyway there are far less capricious investment opportunities available.

So, no.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, yokel said:

Agree totally.

So, no.

Yeah, but not ones I can afford:biggrin:

8 minutes ago, yokel said:

Agree totally.

So, no.

• Haha 1

No I always buy a watch with the expectation that it will lose value. However due to hype and great marketing from Rolex all 4 of mine have shot up to stupid prices.
I was also wise enough to buy a Casio LCD in the 80s for a fiver, now going for well over £120.
I'm expecting this rare prototype Tudor to rocket in value and ensure a comfortable retirement.

db7ebe7d6b00d5c919dcff0df4d1f9d8.jpg

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cyclops930
  • Haha 11

Having had a background in retail/pawnbroking I am aware of value retention and there is a consideration of this in every purchase I make. 

If I was buying purely for investment then my collection would look very different but I buy with the heart as well as the head. 

In twenty years time I will probably be selling rather than buying watches and am expecting to make a profit or at least to get my money back having enjoyed the watches for some time. 

It only adds to the enjoyment if you make money from something you love. 

Edited by Daveyboyz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cyclops930 said:

ensure a comfortable retirement

A nice pillow and a pair of "the world's most comfortable shoes".

As far as investment goes, never even considered it.

• Haha 3

None of the countless watches that have passed through my collection have made money, with the exception of three...which at the time were not bought as investments, but purely because I liked them. My Seiko Pogue, although cosmetically refurbed, is probably worth more today than my parents paid for the original, 44 years ago. My Omega SMP is certainly worth more than I paid, as it is a fairly scarce model. The one that has made a surprising jump in value is my Rolex GMT, which as pointed out above, due to hype, marketing and desire to own has probably quadrupled in price if ebay completed sales figures for that particular model are to be believed.

• Like 2

No and never will

53 minutes ago, Cyclops930 said:

No I always buy a watch with the expectation that it will lose value. However due to hype and great marketing from Rolex all 4 of mine have shot up to stupid prices.
I was also wise enough to buy a Casio LCD in the 80s for a fiver, now going for well over £120.
I'm expecting this rare prototype Tudor to rocket in value and ensure a comfortable retirement.

:fyou:If only I'd seen that before I bought my '58

• Haha 2

I Don't buy as an investment , but never pay full RRPs because obviously I don't like setting fire to bundles of cash.

If people want investments then buy land ... I have spent £x,000 on watches in the last three years ( Net ) and by coincidence £x,000 on land.

The £x,000 of watches is now worth £(x*0.70),000 if I was to sell to trade today and the £x,000 of land is currently valued at £(x*2.2),000

[ This is not me blowing my own trumpet and pretending I am some smart speculator , because the investment margin on the land was just a happy accident and I am not a regular purchaser of real estate or land, but thought this was a good way to illustrate my point. ]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

None of the countless watches that have passed through my collection have made money, with the exception of three...which at the time were not bought as investments, but purely because I liked them. My Seiko Pogue, although cosmetically refurbed, is probably worth more today than my parents paid for the original, 44 years ago. My Omega SMP is certainly worth more than I paid, as it is a fairly scarce model. The one that has made a surprising jump in value is my Rolex GMT, which as pointed out above, due to hype, marketing and desire to own has probably quadrupled in price if ebay completed sales figures for that particular model are to be believed.

people are seemingly going mad for pogues rog and countless other 70's seiko autos, its getting daft out there, young ones on fb in groups of 10k plus like the vintage seiko watch page etc etc etc. the Chronographs and divers from the 70s are being worshiped it seems especially by lads who remember their dads and grandads having them or had them passed down, anything with some sort of film or commercially famous connection gets loved. I was following a thread on a pogue in the usa the other day and it was working but in poor shape, looked original in bracelet and the case looked polished, the dial was tatty and looked as if someone had used a black sharpie on the sub dial, but the interest and comments said it all...people were knowledgeable it seemed and it generated loads of interest. 

I was looking at one on the bay and nearly bought it, but at 400 quid for one where the bracelet looked after market, the subdial hand didnt have the tear drop and the case edges looked quiet heavily polished i balked... i might regret it when i end up paying may be another 20% on that for something similar in a few years time. Theres a momentum for these old things at the mo and its gathering, but im sure you know that. Me I put this months spending money in to an old Suwa Turtle from 1978 which in 5 years time might be worth as much as i paid...but the originality got me,,,,,there are too many redials out there and mods. Your pogue should make a decent part of your pension fund going off whats going on at the moment with these crazy trendy kids with cash to spend...not to mention your rolex...:thumbsup:

I consider all my watches and strap purchases current and future ones as pure LOSS for my own selfish pleasure. 

Impossible to think at investment because I am suing all my watches for Diving and others, so they are all a bit scratched everywhere, I always by new items, and once a watch is used / even one time on my wrist, impossible to sell it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyclops930 said:

Hate to tell you this but it's a fake you can tell as the hand set is all wrong for that model.:biggrin:

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I Don't buy as an investment , but never pay full RRPs because obviously I don't like setting fire to bundles of cash.

If people want investments then buy land ... I have spent £x,000 on watches in the last three years ( Net ) and by coincidence £x,000 on land.

The £x,000 of watches is now worth £(x*0.70),000 if I was to sell to trade today and the £x,000 of land is currently valued at £(x*2.2),000

[ This is not me blowing my own trumpet and pretending I am some smart speculator , because the investment margin on the land was just a happy accident and I am not a regular purchaser of real estate or land, but thought this was a good way to illustrate my point. ]

I agree land may be a better investment... But there are pros and cons. 

Often land requires either a very large outlay or a commitment in the form of repayment (often with some overheads attached) vs watches which can be bought in more bitesized purchases. 

Profits on land deals would be subject to capital gains taxes and watches are not. 

Some land deals will out perform watches and some watch deals will out perform land.   Obviously all land and watches differ in value and may trend differently.   A good deal of that is luck but is also judgement. 

One rule for investment is not to have all your eggs in one basket.   Yes get land, but you can do far worse than having a couple of decent watches, well bought. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

To be honest, the grey version is the most sort after, and commonly known as The Ellen Ripley, whilst the black is the Bishop

I do like those, but the Bishop (although black) is a different case shape - that's really just a Ripley in a different colourscheme...

Good price though.

1 hour ago, ziggy1024 said:

I do like those, but the Bishop (although black) is a different case shape - that's really just a Ripley in a different colourscheme...

Good price though.

6 minutes ago, Yanto said:

In answer to the original question, no, never. I only buy watches that I want to wear. 

Yes, you are right

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

... & buy a Rolls Royce :biggrin:

I can actually see you in the back of a Phantom with a fine Cuban Montecristo and a glass of bubbly Krug Grande Cuvée. We might also elevate your status from Moderator to Sir Moderator. 

we-are-not-worthy-962.gif

• Haha 2

Only once have I purchased watches (2) with the intent on making a profit. I don't see watches as an investment. Until this time, I've never sold or traded. Just can't.

This translates into a large collection - now just over 300 watches. Wife also collects and her collection is slightly larger than mine.

About 5 years ago, I had the chance to buy 2 Rolex day/date Presidents in platinum with mother of pearl dials with diamond indices. From what I knew at the time, was that these would likely rise in value (no kidding!). Into the safe they went untouched. I sold them both 13 months later to a big time collector & pocketed $110,000.00 USD profit.

No and not likely to, when i buy a watch selling it on is the last thing on my mind, when i buy one its cos i like it and want to wear it.... forever.:wink:

Only watch i`ve sold was a rotary quartz not that long ago, a mate was watchless so i sold it to him for a lot less than i bought it for, i wasnt bothered cos i never wore it anyway, a few quid in my pocket and he gets a watch cheap and in good nick.