UK Watch Forum banner

SOTC 2019

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  JoT 
#1 ·
This is my first state of the collection thread after approximately 6-7 years being a WIS.

I have had a rethink over the autumn. I've decided to stick to a six watch collection for the foreseeable future. Giving two beater status and making sure the rest take part in a strict rotation policy.

QkAeegt.jpg

GGSdRcx.jpg

The beaters.

JckRgMw.jpg

Hamilton Khaki Auto 38mm

HjANKj5.jpg

Probably my most worn watch this past 12 months. Picked it up mid December 2018, used, but in very good condition. I wanted this less "flashy" model, no step on the dial or red tip on the second hand. Didn't come with it's orginal leather strap but on some hideous camo nato. I put it straight on a black nato. Forward 3 weeks and it was present for the birth of my first child. So now has gained sentimental value. It's on a waffle strap currently and is very comfortable.

It does everything I want it to. Tell the time accurately, and at a quick glance. Display the date, (which is a must for me at work, I remember the day but not always the date.) it has a very good power reserve and with it being the 38mm version fits snugly on the wrist and unnoticed at times when completing my daily tasks at work and around the house. Apparently it is supposed to have a green dial?! Satin black, maybe a very dark grey in some lights I've only found up to yet. My only criticism is its poor lume. Not the brightest, but not too bothered as I have yet to rely that feature.

Was I annoyed when I banged the polished bezel on a steel door frame at work? Not at all. That's what I bought it for. It's a tool watch and that's what I'm using it as. The bezel looks cooler now I've added my custom brushed finish anyways. The khaki's a keeper.

SMITHS PRS-68

y4vc0oW.jpg

Purchased from this forum about 3 years ago. I got this after enjoying my Seiko 007 so much. I just wanted another diver, but my budget was limited. This has recently been demoted to beater status, but in many ways a promotion as I get to wear it a lot more!

The cushion case is perfect for my wrist shape. It's braclet more comfortable that both my Omega and my TAG bracelets. A big watch, makes his counterpart Hamilton look really small. But like the Khaki it is a tool watch. Date display, sapphire crystal and bright lume makes it just as good if not better than the Hamilton at being a daily beater. A tad bulky but I am a man after all! Really looking forward to wearing this more.

So when I'm not at work or doing the chores. These are the current crop I have to work with.

Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch

7qzEVPV.jpg

My most recent addition. A late birthday present to myself this October. The hesalite version on a braclet. I've picked up a scratch on the crystal and the clasp already as I forget I'm wearing it sometimes.

My first hand wind too, I'm slowly getting into ritual now keeping it wound. Potential to be another beater but I need something tidy/shiny on a braclet to wear on smart and formal occasions, so will be staying exaclty like it is for now.

I catch myself just staring at it sometimes, a great piece of engineering. A classic. Lume probably the brightest I have in the group. My only criticism is no one has told me what to do with that big coin/medallion thing you get in the box?! What do you all do with yours?

Seiko 5

YzXYFjF.jpg

A cheap but very cheerful Seiko I picked up about 4 years ago. Great with jeans and T-shirt or under a dress shirt cuff. Thin, lightweight and very comfortable on it's current Darlena leather strap. At the time of purchase I needed something cheap, tidy, reliable and with a dial that wasn't dark. Mainly used as a dress watch and for more smarter occasions. This Seiko 5 ticks all those boxes. I saw this one on eBay for cheap money and bought it on a wim knowing very little about the movement and it's dimensions etc but I've been very happy with it up to yet. Hasn't caused me any issues. Probably the least worn watch out of the lot though as I don't wear many dressy shirts. But with my new rotation policy it should get more wrist time.

Seiko SKX007J

2KBI3ya.jpg

The watch that started it all for me. The first "proper" watch I bought with my own hard earned wages.

At the time I only had my Aquaracer and my fashion Armani, the TAG was a watch I wore on special occasions and the fashion watch was my beater. So I required something I could wear when not at work. After months of research and reading up, (its how I found this forum actually!) I chose this diver model Seiko and the Japanese variant at that. I've had it on a Willian Jean Super Oyster since I bought it but fancied a change so recently popped it on a Fluco leather strap.

It's a great watch, versatile, a future classic, and very good bang for your buck. It was the watch that ignited my passion for watches and pointed me towards this forum. So the 007 is another keeper.

TAG Heuer Aquaracer Grande Date Quartz

ETcRauo.jpg

A 21st birthday present from my parents. I didn't know anything about watches then, (still don't now really!) I didn't even wear one at all really until after I received this. For the first 4 years of it's life it was only worn during special occasions, say 10 times a year?! But after I got my 007 I have worn it alot.

Worn for my wedding a couple of years ago and picking up a few scratches along the way. It has just returned from its full service, it had been 10 years since my 21st so sent it back to TAG for some treatment. Came back like a brand new watch! No scuffs or scratches in sight, good for another 10 years.

It's quite a big heavy piece, especially when on it's braclet. I had it on a brown leather strap for a year or two and felt more comfortable, so will probably end up back on leather at some point. Definitely a keeper.

So there it is. My collection thus far. I do have an honourable mention for my Emporio Armani fashion watch. Served me well, but sadly gets nearly no wrist time now, will be kept but hardly used.

Not sure which direct to go next. I am content, so there is no rush. There won't be a big purchase for quite some time as I have other things I am funding, but I have started thinking about a more dressier piece. Vintage maybe, but I don't have enough knowledge yet and don't want to get my fingers burnt. It seems like a minefield to a novice like me.

Suggestions will be appreciated and in turn heavily researched. Thanks to all who have helped me out so far with info, and to the guys who run the forum. Keep up the good work!

See less See more
#7 ·
Great collection thanks for sharing your story :thumbsup:

Reactions: wr!ghty200
#8 ·
A very considered and well rounded collection :yes:

If I were being picky, I'd say a bit heavy on black (or sufficiently dark green as to make no difference) dials, but that is a personal taste thing - and we are all gloriously different.

You have a nice balance between bracelets and straps. And I particularly applaud your attitude to wearing watches and accepting they will get the occasional knock.

Thanks for taking the trouble to share, particularly with such a good write up.

#9 ·
A very considered and well rounded collection :yes:

If I were being picky, I'd say a bit heavy on black (or sufficiently dark green as to make no difference) dials, but that is a personal taste thing - and we are all gloriously different.

You have a nice balance between bracelets and straps. And I particularly applaud your attitude to wearing watches and accepting they will get the occasional knock.

Thanks for taking the trouble to share, particularly with such a good write up.
I do want to bring in a light dial next. Dressy or vintage I hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.