• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Good evening all,

im looking at purchasing my 1st luxury watch and was wondering if people generally go for new or used? I’m looking at either a Tag Formula 1 Calibre 5 or a Tag Aquaracer both of which retail around £1400. I’ve seen on Facebook etc these styles going for around £800-900 so a significant saving

Thanks 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Good evening all,

im looking at purchasing my 1st luxury watch and was wondering if people generally go for new or used? I’m looking at either a Tag Formula 1 Calibre 5 or a Tag Aquaracer both of which retail around £1400. I’ve seen on Facebook etc these styles going for around £800-900 so a significant saving

Thanks 

Be careful if buying from facebook, at least eBay will give you some protection. It's neither here nor there, but TAG aren't really considered a luxury brand. They are indeed a well made timepiece, and having owned one myself they are difficult to criticise. Like another poster has said, you don't have to pay MRP or normal high street prices, but be careful. Here are the contact details for the tag outlet, it may be worth dropping them a line

https://store.tagheuer.com/143931-tag-heuer-boutique-bicester-designer-outlet

Edited by Mrs Wiggles
  • Haha 1

I’ve bought almost half of my small collection used. Yes, it’s cheaper, but my experience has been 80% good. Would never touch FB or EBay. I buy only from forum members and reputable dealers.

Bear in mind though that, in a normal high street AD (and even hoity-toity ones), putting your credit card on the table and saying “if you are prepared to let me have the watch for £x you can put this card in your machine now” can have a remarkable effect :hmmm9uh:

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

It's neither here nor there, but TAG aren't really considered a luxury brand.

if you are really stupid.

5 hours ago, Biscuits said:

looking at purchasing my 1st luxury watch and was wondering if people generally go for new or used? I’m looking at either a Tag Formula 1 Calibre 5 or a Tag Aquaracer

As per @Lampoc , its all about discount with TAG , personally with those two versions, I would be looking at a minimum 25% discount new from may places and I got my Aquaracer from AMJ at 25% off New about 2 years ago , and when I sold it ( because I had a deal on a SMP200M ) I only lost £200 for a quick sale. So buy new at good discount and of course they are luxury watches .... just overpriced ones.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Biscuits said:

I’ve seen on Facebook etc these styles going for around £800-900 so a significant saving

Thanks 

Always take into account the cost of a service on top of these prices, plus "where did the watch come from".

16 hours ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

It's neither here nor there, but TAG aren't really considered a luxury brand.

I suppose that depends on where you are personal view. If the cost of a Roger Smith or Richard Mille does not faze you the even Rolex might be considered nothing more than the higher end of the mass produced market. The tag image does suffer because of the discounts available but even in the outlet stores some models still have a `luxury' price tag for many of us.

large.20190814_164502.jpg.0560671ded2a326eff968c9b702b7c0a.jpg

Of the many watches I have bought over the years I have only purchased four brand new watches, none of which I still own!

Personally I would have no hesitation of buying pre-owned as long as it is from a reputable source.

• Like 2

It depends if you can get a good discount and the watch brand etc. your after. Used can be good , but it's like cars ,you take a bit of a risk. Nothing beats an item fresh out of the box yourself. On a side note,

https://watchesworld.co.uk/

Has anyone heard or dealt with these before? The price of their speed masters is very competitive. 

Edited by r-macus
On 20/12/2019 at 17:56, Biscuits said:

Good evening all,

Thanks 

I've got a Tag Formula 1 and a Calibre 5 Aquaracer.The F1 is probably worth what I paid for it new in 2008 and The AR will have lost a few bob, obviously.

The AR's in white or green are worth considering too, quartz or auto.

1575448982175.jpg

On 20/12/2019 at 18:02, sabailand said:

Personally i`d buy new, if i could afford it obviously, buying used is fine but i`d only do it if i couldnt afford the watch i liked new and just had to have it, £1400 sounds  a lot of money to most non watch enthusiasts, but its affordable.

That's the second time I've agreed:hmmm9uh:with you, I hope it's not a trend:laugh:

New for me too.

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...