• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Keith C

Pocket Watch

I have two JW Benson silver pocket watches, one is a 1906 open faced keyless and the second is 1924 also open faced keyless 

sadly the latter was accidentally dropped it fell onto carpeted stairs then down onto quarry tiles, resulting in the second hand detaching and the movement only working whilst laid flat, I have been told it is a broken balance staff, unfortunately the shop that said this quoted really ridiculous money to repair, 

my question is, the watch has no sentimental value and I wonder, is the watch actually worth the repair ? 

any advice is appreciated 

welcome to the forum Keith;    the cost of any repairs has gone up and the dependability gone down.  it is worth repairing IF you can find another parts watch.    lets have a look at the wreck.  a member might have a parts watch.   good luck.   vin

I am interested to understend what price they told for making a new balance staff? I restore antique watshes and usually I charge 50-80 euro for that, dependinf on the difficulty. Yes, I am in Bulgaria and prices here are different.

I sent my watch to a ‘reputable’ watchmaker ( as seen on tv) and this is what they said

i wish I could upload some pictures, to show you the quality of the watch

Our watchmaker has had a look and the watch needs an overhaul and new hand made balance staff, the estimate for this is £695 + VAT. There is also an optional case dent reduction (as much as possible as the case is thin) and polish for a further £98 + VAT. 

That's a nice watch you have, but the repair quote sounds crazy. Since there's no sentimental value to the watch, I wonder what you would do with it when it's repaired. I spent over £200 repairing an older pocket watch I inherited, but I've probably wound it twice since that was done, so you could argue it wasn't worth it. I'd be unlikely to get the money back if I sold it.

You should get another quote, preferably not on the high street. Simon2 who replied above has done good work for me and his charges are reasonable.

• Like 1

The movement is relatively cheаp, it is 19``` Cyma-Tavannes. This means nothing, it is a good movement that can run very long life. As for the price of repair – this is because not much masters are left that can turn balance staff or make any other part, and hand work is valuable… It does not matter that the price of the watch is less than 50 pounds... But, the standards in countries are different, as I said, I do this for 10 times less price…

There is a way to send me the watch (or only the movement) at the post costs to London, and then I can repair it and send it back to London and arrange to be sent back to You by post. If interested, I will explain how in personal message.

I agree with vinn. Set radar for a used balance.

This or a balance complete may be built without having to turn a staff from scratch. See diagrams of staffs on www.balancestaff.com.