• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
wrenny1969

how could your life change for the better?

As winter draws in we are reminded of the seasons. If we are born in Spring many of us are now in Autumn or perhaps winter, metaphorically speaking.

I've made no secret of the fact I'd consider a move to somewhere warmer and perhaps next year will be the year. 

Once all the dust settles and what's left is spare I'd like to think I should get a small boat given we'd be 15 to 20 minutes from the med.

Saw these today and they look good for a bit of pleasure boating along the coast - maybe find a little cove only accessible from the sea - I'd lose that front canopy (EUR 2.2K extra) and go for a bimini at EUR 995. All in they are about EUR 25k (20hp engine option) the engine is outboard but concealed in a compartment under the cushions on the back. I love a bit of retro.

Anyone else sit and dream about what different course their life could take and wonder whether it could become a reality? :) 

Time for my last whisky, lol.

shefotografie-maxima-0042210920191146265

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Like 3

Yep I could do the warm and the boat idea but maybes a bit bigger and actually live on it. 

We know a couple of people that do the live aboard thing. Friends of Big M bought a old steel hull and built a nice house boat out of it and lived on it for a while. In the end I seem to remember them saying it cost about £60K all in. Sounds a lot but relatively cheap compared to a house. 

There are always a few for sale on the local marina, this caught my eye recently. 

48338835051_c225c243e1_b.jpg

I sure you could do a bit of tooting around the Mediterranean party islands or chase the sun down to the Canaries on it. 

Wouldn't be a bad way to end your days. 

The only minor problem is that Big M only has to look at a boat or water and she's sick as a dog, she doesn't even like crossing the lock gates to get to our local boozer and if she's got a bit of a wobble on gets a taxi to go round the long way even though it's only a ten minute walk. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

48273519411_2ae76dd1c7_b.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Yep I could do the warm and the boat idea but maybes a bit bigger and actually live on it. 

We know a couple of people that do the live aboard thing. Friends of Big M bought a old steel hull and built a nice house boat out of it and lived on it for a while. In the end I seem to remember them saying it cost about £60K all in. Sounds a lot but relatively cheap compared to a house. 

There are always a few for sale on the local marina, this caught my eye recently. 

48338835051_c225c243e1_b.jpg

I sure you could do a bit of tooting around the Mediterranean party islands or chase the sun down to the Canaries on it. 

Wouldn't be a bad way to end your days. 

The only minor problem is that Big M only has to look at a boat or water and she's sick as a dog, she doesn't even like crossing the lock gates to get to our local boozer and if she's got a bit of a wobble on gets a taxi to go round the long way even though it's only a ten minute walk. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

That won't do at all Mr Bond - no room for the staff. This would be much better. 

Related image

• Haha 2

Not sure how I could improve our lives...we're pretty much sorted and living the life of Riley as we are. Both retired, we spend about 1/4 of the year away...at least one long holiday in the sun during the winter months as I suffer from SAD. After years of outdoor work, if I have to spend too much time cooped up indoors during Autumn and Winter, I get very depressed and moody...to the point where it starts to affect my health. I need to be in the sun, hence the winter escape to Portugal. Just stepping off the plane leads to an immediate lift in sprits. A lot of our friends ask why we don't buy a place here, but to be honest, we don't want to be tied one location, preferring to try different places.

• Like 2

Sorry David @wrenny1969, didn't read the title last night, I'd like to get my ear sorted and get shut of the vertigo I get if i get cold in it, but after 20 years thats unlikely but that would be the main thing that would change my life for the better. But im not a man of big ambitions apart from that i like a quiet life....do you know when I was at Uni i never once went in a pub or club. I'm a shy retiring type in reality. Apart from that it might have been better if i hadn't been born with an enthusiasm for rubbish old cars that were expensive new. As they can be a pain in the arse. 

Good luck to you mate hope it all gets sorted and you get moved soon. Boat looks fab. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Sorry David @wrenny1969, didn't read the title last night, I'd like to get my ear sorted and get shut of the vertigo I get if i get cold in it, but after 20 years thats unlikely but that would be the main thing that would change my life for the better. But im not a man of big ambitions apart from that i like a quiet life....do you know when I was at Uni i never once went in a pub or club. I'm a shy retiring type in reality. Apart from that it might have been better if i hadn't been born with an enthusiasm for rubbish old cars that were expensive new. As they can be a pain in the arse. 

Good luck to you mate hope it all gets sorted and you get moved soon. Boat looks fab. 

Good luck with the ear. The key to ambition, for me at least, is not to set the bar too high :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Made my change two years ago to plan. Best thing I ever did, and at the right time. I like whatever the weather throws at me, I love the county I stay in, and all/most of my many friends are local, so I'm happy with my "pot". :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

The key to ambition, for me at least, is not to set the bar too high

yep thats wise low aims and expectations thats what ive always worked on and ive done very well in achieving them. I even avoided any promotion or pay rises at work on the basis i thought it would avoid responsiblity and other expectations, it didnt as i ended up doing the boses work for him or them, apart from that ive been very successful in achieving my aims :yes: which havent been much really. 

1 hour ago, wrenny1969 said:

The key to ambition, for me at least, is not to set the bar too high :thumbsup:

Agree with this 100%. We tend not to treat our trips to Portugal as holidays anymore, just an extention of our lives back in the UK. To many, a holiday is money and luxury oriented, and rightly so when you're working and have saved hard for it. For us, however, we spend our days like we do at home...a trip to the supermarket to stock up on essentials when we arrive, maybe a meal out once a week...the only difference is we have permanent sunshine all the time. We don't bother hiring a car, most of the places we visit are a 5€ taxi ride away, or we walk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Both retired, we spend about 1/4 of the year away..

Three of my friends took early retirement, two went to France and came back after about 8 years, the third sold their house, bought a small flat, and a big campervan, and stay away for about 8 to 10 months parked up at various locations along the Mediterranean. Now that appeals to me, although I'd head up to Wick and Durness. :laughing2dw:

I could vastly improve my life with 2 very simple actions - Firstly change my phone number, Secondly block my 2 sisters email addresses - the pair of them are constantly at each others throats :taz: 

• Haha 2