• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Opinions wanted - Oris 65 Vs Rado Captain Cook

Afternoon all, sale on at Jura watches, a filurher 15% off with discount code making eithe Rif these very attractive watches even more appealing.

Would be interested to hear the firm's opinion, may push the button this evening. I like both watches equally!

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/products/rado-watch-hyperchrome-captain-cook-ghost-limited-edition-r32500105?_pos=18&_sid=2c833da62&_ss=r

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/oris-watches/products/oris-watch-divers-sixty-five-01-733-7707-4354-07-5-20-30

11 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Would be interested to hear the firm's opinion,

I've had them both in the wrist, and I prefer the Rado. It is very shiny, but for me the size is correct. Down to your own taste really. You could buy both. :wicked:

• Like 1

i like the oris best more of a vintage look and 40mm the cook one is only 37.3 a bit to small but is a limited edition of only 150.like the swinging anchor at the top though. oris a bit cheaper like the date window at 6 position but will available more common.

They both look great, but I can't get my head around a £1000+ "dive" watch only having a water resistance of 100m. 

All show and no go compared to what you can get from the likes of Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Christopher Ward or Steinhart.  It makes me feel that rather than offering a well made and well designed watch, Rado and Oris are charging for their name and heritage.

1 hour ago, AlexC1981 said:

They both look great, but I can't get my head around a £1000+ "dive" watch only having a water resistance of 100m. 

All show and no go compared to what you can get from the likes of Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Christopher Ward or Steinhart.  It makes me feel that rather than offering a well made and well designed watch, Rado and Oris are charging for their name and heritage.

Can't comment for Rado but the two Ori I own offer excellent value for money. WR isn't the be all and end all for watch spec & design is it tho?

Of the brand's you mentioned, Seiko make excellent tough divers / beaters, citizen also.

I've only seen one CW I really like (the retro one) and steinhart aren't original enough for my tastes.

I'd rather go for a microbrand over the above I think... Zeloz, Armida, helson, Baltic...

after much deliberation, I have just decided on the Rado….

The next dilemma is the Ghost (grey / black - limited to 150 pieces) or the 1962 (brown hints - limited to 1962 pieces).

Will look to order tonight whilst half cut; simply cannot decide... I know everyone will again say go for what you like but both is the answer!

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/products/rado-watch-hyperchrome-captain-cook-ghost-limited-edition-r32500105

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/products/rado-watch-hyperchrome-captain-cook-r32500305

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Went for the ghost... Will collect in person in a couple of days (nervous about the size so can call it off with a refund (or the 40/42mm version))

New watch excitment :biggrin:

Screenshot_20191226-225248~2

I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Like 3

Couldn't do it!

It's lovely, really nice, really really nice BUT I tried on the Oris.

Walked out the store with the Rado, drove about two miles and turned back round. Currently trying to sort out an exchange on the Oris which isn't proving straight forward. The Oris is devine, just a wow piece, I need it!

4 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Couldn't do it!

It's lovely, really nice, really really nice BUT I tried on the Oris.

Walked out the store with the Rado, drove about two miles and turned back round. Currently trying to sort out an exchange on the Oris which isn't proving straight forward. The Oris is devine, just a wow piece, I need it!

That Oris is a real lovely looking watch, hope the exchange works out. :)

I picked up the 42mm Captain Cook today, blue dial over the moon with it.

I was quite smitten by the Captain Cook bluey greyish model at 42mm, which I saw and tried on the other day. Really liked it a lot, Up until now the only model I had seen at this size was the green model, which  is too bright for me. I also liked the new anniversary Mido divers range, especially, again, the model with the blue dial, although it had a more generic look than the Captain Cook. It seems evident that both Rado and Mido are upgrading their ranges for the better, whilst still offering great value for money.

But I also like Oris, just waiting for model that is for me!

I've had a few Orises (is that the plural of Oris? :laugh:) over the years and each has been a beaut.  Never any issues with any of them, except one thing; they all seem to be especially susceptible to magnetic fields.  Easy to test for and demag of course...

Just one now;

large.1930851097_P1010734(800x662).jpg.677537aa85954bdd24011a4ca75fff08.jpg

It's within a second or two a day.

I've only ever had one Rado - a Centrix - that I moved on quite a few years ago.  The only watch I genuinely wish I still had.  The Captain Cook is a lovely watch - the green one stands out more for some reason, but Rado is quite shiny-shiny these days and I suppose will remain so as long as bling is fashionable, but you do see every speck of dirt on them.

I think you can't go wrong with either Oris or Rado.

• Like 1