• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Have you ever felt like buying a Rolex ...

Jet Jetski

... just for when people say 'For the money you spend on watches, you could have bought a Rolex'?

I am a placid man, but I swear I am going to buy a Rolex and put it on my wall, so that when people say that, I can point to it, and yell 'I HAVE A FECKING ROLEX!'

I have several watches running inside chronometer spec that I have been bothered to check,  a Zeno (unitas 6428) regulated by Greg at Woodland Technical, an Armand Nicolet (Eta 2824 + DD module) regulated somewhere, because I have the lab sheets and I checked it over two months; and a Heinz 57 Russian (Poljot 3133 with OKEAH dial) among them (OK so the 3133 is just a random miracle).  None of them will dissolve because they have been made out of the wrong grade of stainless.  Two have really decent WR, one is an auto, and they all attract (nice) comments on the wrist, but often followed by "Have you got a Rolex?"! 

Have you ever felt the Rolex effect?

It gets my goat a bit... Its like this brand just attracts the ignorant, snobs and morons. 

I never much liked them, a bit like Iphones - they seem to be for those that swallow the marketing whole. 

For the money I think they are extremely average, too common, without much class and to tell the truth I find it irritating when I wear my sub I get asked "is that real?" and then "what's it worth?" likely followed by "you are mad to spend that on a watch... My Timex tells the time and cost me £20"

Its a kind of lowest common denominator of watches.  Though the fact they require virtually no maintenance, one knows that they will likely retain their value and are well recognised has some appeal. 

I say that without malice,  I own 3.   I think that's enough... Next watch needs to be less commercial... A vintage memovox or a spring drive.  

• Like 3

I own a few watches including a couple of Rolex  & apart from one individual asking why I was wearing a couple of (Vostok) watches* no one has ever commented on them, maybe it`s because I`m a wee bit scruffy...

DSC_0296.thumb.gif.e30d2a554414821b8187e5d5f9cffe74.gif

*He looked somewhat concerned & made a hasty retreat when I informed him that one was set to the local time in the UK & the other was set to an island in the East Siberian Sea :huh: :laugh:

Btw just in case anyone is concerned I was joking, both were on UK time   :tongue:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Yes I'd buy a rolex, a porsche a merc a jag a bmw a maserati an aston martin...just for the badge especially when i was young. I would never have bought a sierra cosworth or a seiko then, but i would have bought an omega or longines or etc etc etc. Now i would buy that cosworth and that seiko and ignore that dino. What is in a name? Quiet a lot. Sekonda are good old russian watches say my old mate Bill...but im not ready for one yet. 

one day i might be 

and then i might buy an old rolex too. 

makes the man in the new sekonda sound rich does it not? 

1 hour ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I own a few watches including a couple of Rolex  & apart from one individual asking why I was wearing a couple of (Vostok) watches* no one has ever commented on them, maybe it`s because I`m a wee bit scruffy...

DSC_0296.thumb.gif.e30d2a554414821b8187e5d5f9cffe74.gif

*He looked somewhat concerned & made a hasty retreat when I informed him that one was set to the local time in the UK & the other was set to an island in the East Siberian Sea :huh: :laugh:

Btw just in case anyone is concerned I was joking, both were on UK time   :tongue:

a picture of contentment. 

when everyone is happy with what they have and happy for everyone else to have what they have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

'I HAVE A FECKING ROLEX!'

'I HAVE A FECKING ROLEX!'

2 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Its like this brand just attracts the ignorant, snobs and morons

hope not davey:biggrin:

and I agree

" I also own 3.   I think that's enough... Next watch needs to be less commercial...  a spring drive.  

deano :laugh::laugh:

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 2

Nothing wrong with buying a Rolex because you admire the engineering - the amount of watchmakers I have met that have a Datejust and an Omega 565 is incredible. 

Just don't buy one thinking they make you a better or more attractive person.  

If you want one that doesn't scream Rolex then look at the dress watches (precision, and later Celleni). Then you tick both boxes

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

up where i live people would think it is a knock off one,you cannot even buy a new rolex in Sunderland as nobody stocks them for a city status place i think it is terrible

Evan earnest Jones has shut when they where open the highest watch on sale was a Dreyfuss cannot even buy a oris omega have to travel to Newcastle for rolex zenith ect,just tells what type of people they cater for in sunderland

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have 3 and clearly move in the wrong circles as my sub which is pretty much my daily wearer never gets a mention (which suits me fine to be honest) the wife wears a 34mm oyster perpetual and works with doctors and consultants and has had more comments than I’ve ever had, so probably proves my point about the company I keep 

• Like 2

We had a thread on how your tastes have changed a few days ago. The first line of my contribution was “thirty odd years ago I wanted a Rolex”.

So, yes, I have heard the calling. And I still have the only one I have ever owned.
It will remain lonely.

• Like 1

I have thought of it, and if funds allow it will. The hype around the brand has somewhat drawn me in. Can't deny that their marketing and fan bois are on par at doing a great job. To be fair though they are good at watch making. At rrp they might be priced even a little high, but when it gets out of hand on the grey market that puts me right off, but that's maybe because I wasn't on board before the hype train and am a little jealous.

• Thanks 1

:laughing2dw:I tried to buy a sub once , back when they had them in stock many moons ago.

took off the Marcello C I was wearing to try said sub on - took the sub off again and thought something along the lines of "not worth the extra" - and it was considerably less extra than it is now 

that said I do like the look of the arctic exp 11 and the miglaus , I think they were an aspirational brand for me when I couldn't afford one , but somehow now not so much. funny ol' game innit.

Edited by Rotundus
miglaus ? :-)
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

took off the Marcello C I was wearing to try said sub on - took the sub off again and thought something along the lines of "not worth the extra"

I consider my Tridente superior to my SMP and Tudor for a lot less money.

Tridente.jpg

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't like the ones with "Mercedes"  hands, I'm on record for that choice.:wink: 

Agree.They don't look good on small dials but nice on 40mm+.

• Like 1

Just over 2 years of DJ41 ownership and quite frankly cannot get enough of it. Next to no one knows it's a Rolex apart from a few who also wear DJ's at work. 

It's tick all the boxes for me & fits neatly under my shirt sleeve without looking out of place. Rhodium dial is stunning and with a Hirch grey leather strap it sets it of nicely. Even the guy in the jewellers actually complemented how well it goes together. 

I guess if you find the right model there is a Rolex out there for everyone without all the marketing hype that plagues the true heritage of the brand..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Rolex Oyster Pep in Black or White , large size , is just about the best watch of its kind for the money ... if that is ... you could actually buy one.

The problem with Rolex is not Snobbery, value, exclusiveness or anything other than they are **** at actually getting time pieces to the shops.

Personally , I just can't be bothered to pi55 about when buying watches , so can't be playing their games. So I bought a Breitling.

• Like 1

People buying things they don’t need, to impress people they don’t know, with money they don’t have...

That’s my response to this thread.

I bought my sea-dwellers as I actually started to respect the brand a few years ago but didn’t want to buy the sports pieces most people go for (Submariner). Luckily they were RRP at the time and with free servicing thrown in for when I need it (not that I can use that in Thailand lol).

The s/steel Daytona was bought at market rate almost two years ago but again this keeps increasing in value and over the decades this has proven to be the one model that has been unavailable at AD’s unless your a VIP.

Day to day I wear the G Shocks and funnily enough there’s plenty of G Shock owners who also have Rolex and other higher end brands in their collections.

Buying something for the sole purpose of proving a point to others seems a bit silly to me. If you enjoy the brand and the piece you’ve managed to find then that’s great; anything else that purchase brings is a bonus.