• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Have you ever felt like buying a Rolex ...

1 hour ago, Cyclops930 said:

a far cheaper price

not really - many people have had Rolexes at zero cost of ownership, even allowing for a service (which they don't actually need that often)

It's tough if you are looking to get on the ladder now, of course, but if you buy from an AD your balance sheet could be much healthier after you walk out the door than when you went in.  Not quite as liquid, but healthier.

You can see I am becoming a convert lol - I'll be a zealot soon, like people who give up smoking, I'm giving up knocking Rolex :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

You can see I am becoming a convert lol 

Hypocrisy doesn't suit you

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

But you are bang on the money

If I sold mine tomorrow I would have worn various Rolex's and Omegas and Tag's and fashion "tat" for the last 20 years for free

The haters don't like to hear that but hey ho one day I might give a f@ck 

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM

55 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

It's tough if you are looking to get on the ladder now,

I love this phrase ...... it perfectly separates the Rolex appreciators from the Rolex Knobs ......  :thumbsup:

Do people realise a Breguet type XX is cheaper than the retail price of a Daytona or the Blancpain FF can be easily found for the price of a Hulk?

For all this rending of garments over Rolex prices, lack of availability etc there are plenty of brands out there with equal if not better pedigree readily available.  Strange there is little internet traffic about these brands especially on the forums of "Watch enthusiasts"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

there are plenty of brands out there with equal if not better pedigree readily available.  

The other mass producers Omega and Breilting have more heritage and pedigree also .... but because they can actually manufacture the watches they "release" , they are less drooled over in some quarters.  The Blancpain FF is a sublime watch , great shout. Superior to the Submariner in many people's eyes .... Breguet are a bit to "Dali" for many I am suspecting ... :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, mrzee said:

Not so much never had the calling, more never had the cash. Would I have one if funds allowed? Yes I probably would or a Tudor perhaps.

Edited because it would never happen. My missus would chop my danglies off.

I use to think the same but I got my Mrs a watch, she got loved up and now makes it so much easier to buy my next 'last watch'. 

Mate we live in a world of credit, I never use my own funds, instead I look for discounts on rrp & IFC purchases that way it doesn't hurt the bank balance and you get what you want.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I love this phrase ...... it perfectly separates the Rolex appreciators from the Rolex Knobs ......  :thumbsup:

I think you are close, but perhaps I should have titled the thread "This house believes that Rolex as horology can no longer be separated from Rolex as commodity." 

The badge simultaneously increases the cost of the substance but diminishes the value of the essence.

• Like 3

Do people realise a Breguet type XX is cheaper than the retail price of a Daytona or the Blancpain FF can be easily found for the price of a Hulk?
For all this rending of garments over Rolex prices, lack of availability etc there are plenty of brands out there with equal if not better pedigree readily available.  Strange there is little internet traffic about these brands especially on the forums of "Watch enthusiasts"

Rolex = GADA
Breguet = jewellery

Bear in mind many people who have Rolex also own other brands so your post is a little strange. Are there many people on this forum with only one watch?

Yes and errrr no.In 1993 i was about to go back to Goldsmiths to buy the Rolex Submariner i had looked at and tried earlier that morning(yes can you imagine that NOW-Rolex sports models in stock and in the window!!!;but then i saw and tried a Breitling Shark in another jewellers.At the time i thought the Breitling was better than the Rolex in every way and it was considerably cheaper. I bought the Breitling. I have never come that close to buying or affording a Rolex since. A few years later a Rolex Submariner came up for sale on this very Forum.I could not afford to buy it but i actively encouraged a very good friend and fellow collector to buy it though.He did and he still has that Rolex sub today!!

Edited by ANDI
  • Thanks 1

I can fully understand what the OP is saying. As soon as someone knows about my interest in watches, out pops the question "have you got a Rolex". Never an Omega, Patek, or even a bloody Timex, always, Rolex. The thing is that even if I could afford a luxury brand watch, it wouldn't be a Rolex 

Edited by Mrs Wiggles
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

According to who exactly?

Hmm, :hmmm9uh:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breguet_(brand)

"Breguet is one of the oldest surviving watchmaking brands and a pioneer of numerous watchmaking technologies such as the tourbillon, which was invented by Abraham Breguet in 1801. Abraham Breguet also invented and produced the world's first self-winding watch (the Perpétuelle) in 1780, as well as the world's first wristwatch in 1810 (the Breguet No.2639, for Caroline Bonaparte, Queen of Naples).

28 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Hmm, :hmmm9uh:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breguet_(brand)

"Breguet is one of the oldest surviving watchmaking brands and a pioneer of numerous watchmaking technologies such as the tourbillon, which was invented by Abraham Breguet in 1801. Abraham Breguet also invented and produced the world's first self-winding watch (the Perpétuelle) in 1780, as well as the world's first wristwatch in 1810 (the Breguet No.2639, for Caroline Bonaparte, Queen of Naples).

Indeed, I am aware of Breguet long history of horology not to mention its long history of supplying military watches, being worn by numerous significant people in history I am just trying to work out how Breguet = jewellery 

Perhaps its phrases such as "Breguet hands" and "Breguet numerals" being commonplace in horology must mean that Breguet = jewellery :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Indeed, I am aware of Breguet long history of horology not to mention its long history of supplying military watches, being worn by numerous significant people in history I am just trying to work out how Breguet = jewellery 

Perhaps its phrases such as "Breguet hands" and "Breguet numerals" being commonplace in horology must mean that Breguet = jewellery :rolleyes:

Funny old thing this watch collecting game of "name calling" isn't it ?

8 hours ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

I can fully understand what the OP is saying. As soon as someone knows about my interest in watches, out pops the question "have you got a Rolex". Never an Omega, Patek, or even a bloody Timex, always, Rolex. The thing is that even if I could afford a luxury brand watch, it wouldn't be a Rolex 

The last ' WIS' person who noted my watch said to me ; " You should get a 'proper' watch , a Rolex ". No one else has ever commented.

According to who exactly?

How the brand is marketed and sold in boutiques is focused more on jewellery rather than a tool watch.

I’d say from my experience they position Blancpain against Rolex as a GADA and Breguet at a higher price point above them as jewellery.

20 hours ago, Igerswis said:

Rolex = GADA
Breguet = jewellery

Bear in mind many people who have Rolex also own other brands so your post is a little strange. Are there many people on this forum with only one watch?

I think there are quite a lot of people for whom a luxury watch is a luxury, and that in deciding which watch they should choose for this singular treat, Rolex is difficult to move from top spot.  So I would say that among people who may have several watches, but only one 'special', I would wager my last shirt button, against your country mile, that the majority will be eyeing up the Rolex catalogue.  I would also guess that the majority of people who decide to 'splash' for their special birthday or whatever are not necessarily horological afficionados.  They might watch James Bond films though, so Omega are in with a shout too.  Although have you seen the price of some of them?  You could get a Rolex for that.

• Like 1

I think there are quite a lot of people for whom a luxury watch is a luxury, and that in deciding which watch they should choose for this singular treat, Rolex is difficult to move from top spot.  So I would say that among people who may have several watches, but only one 'special', I would wager my last shirt button, against your country mile, that the majority will be eyeing up the Rolex catalogue.  I would also guess that the majority of people who decide to 'splash' for their special birthday or whatever are not necessarily horological afficionados.  They might watch James Bond films though, so Omega are in with a shout too.  Although have you seen the price of some of them?  You could get a Rolex for that.

You’ve just proven my point. People buying a single watch as a luxury purchase is classed as GADA unless it’s kept as a safe queen or worn on special occasions (then it becomes jewellery). Worn with casual attire or with a suit. Going diving or walking up a mountain. Playing golf or tennis.

Rolex led the market many years ago in this department. Things changed post 2000 and people started to wear them as jewellery. But as a single piece they’re undoubtedly extremely versatile and part of their charm.

People purchasing a Breguet are more likely to treat them as jewellery and not wear them in active environments.

12 minutes ago, Igerswis said:

Rolex led the market many years ago in this department. Things changed post 2000 and people started to wear them as jewellery. But as a single piece they’re undoubtedly extremely versatile and part of their charm.

Ok

The term jewellery when used in the context of a watch has nothing to do with frequency of wearing it. 

As far as I am concerned a watch can only be called jewellery if it is made by a manufacturer with no experience in producing horology.    For instance, though I like the brand and things have somewhat changed in this regard, Cartier are more of a jeweller than a watchmaker and you pay more for design and precious metals etc than movement in many of their 20th century watches. 

To use the term about a Breguet is the polar reverse of the term, there's nothing Breguet doesn't know about watchmaking. 

Is GADA Lady GAGAs father if not :sign_wtf: is its meaning.

Confused of Derbyshire. :yes:

Go anywhere do anything
The term jewellery when used in the context of a watch has nothing to do with frequency of wearing it. 
As far as I am concerned a watch can only be called jewellery if it is made by a manufacturer with no experience in producing horology.    For instance, though I like the brand and things have somewhat changed in this regard, Cartier are more of a jeweller than a watchmaker and you pay more for design and precious metals etc than movement in many of their 20th century watches. 
To use the term about a Breguet is the polar reverse of the term, there's nothing Breguet doesn't know about watchmaking. 

Breguet is not an everyday tool watch unlike Rolex sports models. Hence the term ‘jewellery’. Nothing to do with cost, rather than how it is perceived and worn. When you see the craftsmanship in a Breguet especially the tourbillons then you really do appreciate them as high end hand crafted jewellery.
The Swatch Group have Blancpain and Omega that are much more tool-like and versatile so more in line with Rolex sports watches. Then you have Longines, Tissot etc who are further down the

I also wonder whether those people putting Rolex watches down are or have ever been in a position of purchasing one and choosing a competitor instead. You have to remember this is a small forum and when you go to other forums there are many people who own several Rolex models (some as beaters!) along with the more haute horological pieces. And then at the other extreme some of them also own G Shocks etc.

The statement saying why choose Rolex when you can buy ‘x’ brand is rather silly to me for the above reason. You either have a single Rolex and use it as a GADA watch which is what they were originally created for, or you have one in a collection along with other brands.

The choice is there for people to make; the world would be very boring if we all chose the same thing.

28 minutes ago, Igerswis said:

Breguet is not an everyday tool watch unlike Rolex sports models. Hence the term ‘jewellery’. Nothing to do with cost, rather than how it is perceived and worn. When you see the craftsmanship in a Breguet especially the tourbillons then you really do appreciate them as high end hand crafted jewellery.
The Swatch Group have Blancpain and Omega that are much more tool-like and versatile so more in line with Rolex sports watches. Then you have Longines, Tissot etc who are further down the

No you don't.... Jewellery has no function, no moving parts.... it is for aesthetics not function.    When you see the craftsmanship you see it is horology not jewellery.

It has nothing to do with whether it is a tool watch or a dress watch, whether it is worn every day or once a year.   Jewellery means it is aesthetic and the horology is an after thought. A watchmaker is concerned more with the function and movement on the other hand... which makes Breguet a watchmaker and its watches anything but jewellery. 

Also I own some Rolex, when I am critical it is being realistic rather than "putting them down" I was accused of hating on them a few threads back for merely saying that when judging purely on the watches they are quite expensive for what they are and that a Breguet Type XX is not £11,000 difference in quality when compared to a Daytona. 

Still none of us have a clue what GADA means. 

Edited by Daveyboyz
  • Like 1