• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Have you ever felt like buying a Rolex ...

Jet Jetski

6 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Wilsdorf was a shrewd cookie, he knew his watches, and he took and improved patents.....synthesis was his forte. 

However, the cult of Rolex is an entirely different thing.

For me, it's just not my vibe. 

And I would love a Speedy, not because it's an Omega, not the badge, because it's the NASA flight-tested space watch! 

And watches can be fun.  The mention of Rolex kind of takes the fun and romance out of it IMHO 

Sorry to paraphrase a bit (didn’t want to clog up the whole page! 

Yeh kind of my thoughts. Rolex ‘as a brand’ is incredible. What Wilsdorf did was pretty amazing, with that said, it was more a key decision during the Quartz crisis that really made Rolex and put more established brands like Omega/ Longines on the back foot and elevated Rolex to the popularity it has today. 

I agree about the cult thing...that’s not to say everyone that has a Rolex is part of ‘the cult’ ....most just love their watches in my experience...I have to admit I dislike the whole shove it in a box and let it become an investment rubbish. But hey, everyone’s entitled to do what they want with their money...

in terms of vibe, I like some of their models...but yeh I’m with you. If I took off the Rolex name, would I buy one? Maybe one or 2 in their range....but not many. 

Agree about the Speedy....watches and their history tell a story, I’ve got to ‘feel’ the watch and it’s history to really enjoy it. They aren’t just an inanimate object to me. 

Agree about the fun being taken out of it, although it’s not the watches fault. I suppose ultimately that’s the joy about watches, there’s something out there for everyone...while I personally don’t get the whole Rolex ‘thing’...it’s not like I’d wait in a queue To pay a £5000 premium for second hand pickup that some redneck had shoved a few dead sheep in the back of, I appreciate the watches.....and actually I wonder where watches would be today if Rolex didn’t take a stand during the quartz crisis rather than being another sheep. We should probably thank brands like Rolex for the fact we can still get cogs in watches today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WickerBill said:

I always ask myself when buying a watch if I’d still buy the piece without the brand name

Wise words indeed, I'd never thought of it like that, but it is a great way to look at it. 

A name means little to me, I have tried on most of the Tudor range, and the more popular Omega's, but they didn't give me the 'fizz' I know that I should like these brands, but my wrist keeps telling me that it doesn't like them.

Watch buying/collecting is such a personal thing, I'm glad we all like different things as this watch forum would be rather boring if on WRUW days we had a long list of Rolex Submariner pictures.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Wise words indeed, I'd never thought of it like that, but it is a great way to look at it. 

A name means little to me, I have tried on most of the Tudor range, and the more popular Omega's, but they didn't give me the 'fizz' I know that I should like these brands, but my wrist keeps telling me that it doesn't like them.

Watch buying/collecting is such a personal thing, I'm glad we all like different things as this watch forum would be rather boring if on WRUW days we had a long list of Rolex Submariner pictures.

Agree 100%. Four times I have gone to buy a Speedmaster, but didn't, same with a 50 Fathoms. Can't put my finger on it, but something said NO ! Anyway, I like my Vostoks as much as the rest. Each to their own. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Tbh I went to see various speed masters and just didn’t click...then the racing version came along and OMG just clicked....ok it’s only 2mm smaller than the normal one and has a bit of colour but made such a difference. Same between my Longines Conquest and Hydroconquest....I thought the conquest was good but tried the hydro on a rubber strap and it’s light years better.

i agree though, I’m certainly not bashing Rolex, it’s nice that everyone likes something different...world would be boring otherwise! 

• Like 3