• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
martinzx

Watch memorabilia WHY?

I have picked up stuff over the years, I got these couple of items from my old watch makers shop, for little cost. I suppose I wore him down over the years asking. Sadly he passed away several years ago.
What items have you got??

1: A large Omega display stand

20191228_124150-rotated.jpg

2. A small Roamer plaque

20191228_124403.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting question posed there, Martin. I do have a few bits of watch memorabilia or ephemera in my collection, such as certain old manuals and ads, plus a few old boxes with period flavour. I do like such items but lack of space restricts me from too much collecting zeal when it comes to this sort of thing - I do like your bits and pieces shown here though.:)

What I would say is that ephemera and memorabilia can be most useful when it comes to research into the history of watches, and hopefully, there will be enough people as mad as myself who refuse to throw ephemera away even if we don't avidly collect it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Interesting question posed there, Martin. I do have a few bits of watch memorabilia or ephemera in my collection, such as certain old manuals and ads, plus a few old boxes with period flavour. I do like such items but lack of space restricts me from too much collecting zeal when it comes to this sort of thing

I would love to see a few pictures please!

Here are some of my old catalogs

20191229_185118-rotated.jpg

20191229_185126-rotated.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't have anything in this regard... I do miss I had piles of catalogues and price lists that I threw out 20 years back... Those would have been interesting. 

I also could have picked up all sorts of nice clocks for no money back in the day, Rolex, Cartier and AP promotional type clocks.   I neglected to do so and would think a Royal Oak clock cool... I haven't looked to see what they sell for now.... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

I don't have anything in this regard... I do miss I had piles of catalogues and price lists that I threw out 20 years back... Those would have been interesting. 

I also could have picked up all sorts of nice clocks for no money back in the day, Rolex, Cartier and AP promotional type clocks.   I neglected to do so and would think a Royal Oak clock cool... I haven't looked to see what they sell for now.... 

That what happens to most of this stuff it gets binned doesn't it! I wish I had the old watch boxes...
The watch catalogs are from 2001/2 and I have some the price lists.

• Like 1

None martin, sorry. Maybe i should get something vintage seiko. Ill go have a look on the bay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did pay more for a watch once just because it came on the little jewellers display stand with the manufacturer's stickers on lol.  It was only a Timex, so not much more. 

Except I did the deal before realising the shipping costs (it was from America) and was too polite to back out. 

And then I had to pay the VAT. 

And the Post Office duty collecting fee.

• Like 1

Why ?

As a serial (obsessive) collector I've probably retained everything, letters, emails, invitations, pictures, books,technical information, magazines, boxes, acquired in over the 45 years I have been enjoying this wonderful subject (including timepieces). 

A very small selection of the above...

8JzYzW5.jpg

roNQM7t.jpg

Have been fortunate in receiving regular updates, gifts & assistance from colleagues/friends in the industry...

o4ySDTm.jpg

ZlfoXkN.jpg

TgQYyj5.jpg

I do like to keep all the boxes...

pKDH7ow.jpg

RU3sA2v.jpg

LioTvST.jpg

Perfectly normal behaviour...isn't it ?

:biggrin:

:thumbsup:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just saw a display item on ebay for an omega promotion. It was a lunar module and was going for a pretty penny. I'm sure if you had a desirable rare artifact / poster/ display stand etc. and dare I say from Rolex, I'm sure there is interest and money to be made. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Why ?

As a serial (obsessive) collector I've probably retained everything, letters, emails, invitations, pictures, books,technical information, magazines, boxes, acquired in over the 45 years I have been enjoying this wonderful subject (including timepieces). 

A very small selection of the above...

8JzYzW5.jpg

roNQM7t.jpg

Have been fortunate in receiving regular updates, gifts & assistance from colleagues/friends in the industry...

o4ySDTm.jpg

ZlfoXkN.jpg

TgQYyj5.jpg

I do like to keep all the boxes...

pKDH7ow.jpg

RU3sA2v.jpg

LioTvST.jpg

Perfectly normal behaviour...isn't it ?

:biggrin:

:thumbsup:

Totally normal Alan :) Thanks for sharing a small sample!

I have received the items below as gifts

20191230_140836-rotated.jpg

Blancpain & The Watchmakers Apprentice - an excellent DVD that is compulsary viewing for an WIS!!From your kind self Alan!
Zenith -Rossler - Best Zenith book imho - From the wife!
All in Good Time - From Des! TWF

TWF - Tie/collar pin - from Roy TWF!

Cheers Martin :)

• Thanks 1