• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Attaching watch dial to watch movement when watch dial feet are broken

Hello to all. My post is all about the situation when I have to reattach a watch dial to the movement, but when the original watch dial feet are broken or, in this case, missing. 

I have added sticky pads, and tried to put it all back together. However, there is just not a tight enough fit of watch dial to movement. And this means I cannot properly reattach the hands as there is less space on the dial. 

I tried pressing them together more, but also no good. And I don't want to handle the dial too much with or without finger cots. 

WHY won't the sticky pads stick properly? 

Is it possible I have, inadvertently, bent the watch dial? It is only a small cheap one, but even so I hope I didn't. 

What to do that I haven't done already? 

Sorry the photos are in a strange order, but it wasn't easy uploading them. I think you can see what you need to. 

IMG-20200104-141629.jpgIMG-20200104-141640.jpgIMG-20200104-141250.jpgIMG-20200104-141403.jpgIMG-20200104-141429.jpg

Are both sides of your sticky pads",

really sticky"? Does your dial lay flat on a flat surface? You may have to double up on the pads. If the dial is thick. You may have to use a module with longer posts to take the hands. Do the pads, stick to the front of the module?

I have had a similar problem when I converted a watch to quartz. Obviously the dial feet would not line up so removed them and used sticky pads. I now have a problem where the gap is too large between the dial and module and if you turn the watch over the hour wheel drops out of mesh even with the dial washer in place. I opted for a longer post module as Simon says, so as to be able to fit the hands.

So like me you may have to make a thicker dial washer to take up the slack.