• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Steve Halfpenny

Can one De-magnetise too much?

Hi Simon, I am fairly new to watch repair /  restoration but have really got into it, nothing has interested me so much for years. So you might have to get used to me pestering you with 'noob questions' [ I promise to try to research first and not come directly to you, it is part of the fun after all ].

Anyway, I have bought one of those cheap [£6} blue devices from ebay and have been adding a ' de-magnetise' to my watch service actions.

What I was wondering is that  'can you overly de-magnetise a watch?' and ' is it ok to de-magnetise every watch as part of a general service?'

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ….. Steve

de  Carles book has a couple pages on "how to demaginize".    and how to use a compas to determan if it is magnetized    good luck  vin

No you cannot " Over demag". The problem with some cheap demagnetises is that they do not demagnetise enough. The stronger the magnetic field the better. Which is only available with the more expensive models. It is good practise to demag all watches that you service, and all your tools. My demagnetiser cost £500

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Can you give me any more info about the ' de carles book you mentioned.... is it a watchmakers 'bible'? If not could you suggest such a thing please.

Cheers

Steve

11 minutes ago, Steve Halfpenny said:

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Can you give me any more info about the ' de carles book you mentioned.... is it a watchmakers 'bible'? If not could you suggest such a thing please.

Cheers

Steve

de Carles watch repair manual.   amazon books.