• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Joyjamie

Watch Case Is Pitted

Is there anything I can do.   Recently serviced my dads old watch and put on new strap and battery, watch repairers said that it is pitted.   can I still wear it.   Too me it looks okay.   If I don’t wear it how can I prevent further erosion

I believe that pitting occurs mainly due to wear (wearing it a lot and not cleaning it) and perhaps improper storage in humidity and stuff like that.

You won't get pitting in a couple of weeks or months. Depending on the quality of the metal it can take a long time.

If you get it cleaned every now you should be fine. Careful with sweat, oily skin, saltwater, etc.

Have the pitting holes/dimples been cleaned professionaly ? That'd be a good idea to prevent such future issues.

I agree with all the above. One of the issues with wearing a watch for many years. Regular cleaning of the case, can reduce the process, but in the long term ,not prevent it.

Thanks for all the advice.  I am wearing it and loving it to be honest with you.   Wished removed it from my dads possessions sooner.   Not bad for watch from late 50s.   Love the mechanical aspect of it, wish today’s watches were like it