• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Incoming '76 sport 5 with internal diver bezel and sienna dial

this looks mint, original bracelet, sienna chocolate dial and the rare for this model internal diver style bezel, big 44mm case its a UFO in effect mid 70's all original. 6119 6400...more when it arrives, sellers pics.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, i'll get more on when it arrives and do a bit of back ground. 

12 hours ago, gimli said:

Can the bezel be rotated ? It's a little off center.

Yes the inner bezel rotates with the crown from what ive read. 

Posted (edited)

ive found a bit more out in the interim, they are nicknamed the UFO according to a wus article and a few adverts up and down, the crystal is a very thick hardlex, ive also learned that the inside bezel can get sticky, that doesnt worry me and it will be interesting to see how the action feels on mine. 

It also seems that ones with a bright yellow seconds hand use an aftermarket one (again WUS) 

eg...so its good to see the rather milky faded looking off white one on the onve ive got. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=13905871&stc=1&d=1550563405

cf

s-l1600.jpg

also the date wheel should be white on black, so that is correct. Which should give a roulette on sunday. 

reading further on wus suggests the seconds hand on mine was originally orange but fades over the years to almost white. So that seems correct. 

i need to look at the catalogues but believe that these were referred to as the sport diver series despite the mere 70 wr, and the sport without the internal bezel was just the sport. 

ive also picked up that the dial is known as the 'sushi roll diver' which is a reference i believe  to the inner rotating bezel (even though these were not divers)

And that the particular style of bracelet is known as the sushi roll bracelet. 

So where does the nick name sushi roll come from?...

this is the best article i can find 

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-the-vintage-seiko-sport-divers/

Edited by Nigelp

Vintage Seiko

quoting the above magazine article...

"

The UFOs/Saucers

The UFOs/Saucers are interesting vintage Seiko pieces and, without a doubt, display a very 1970’s vibe. The cases are thick, solid and contain interesting filled external bezels coupled with internal rotating dive bezels. They also boast some of the most colorful dial details of all the Sports Divers. These watches were actually issued in both the 6106 and 6119 Seiko 5 series. The differences are that the yellow UFO was only produced as a 6106 while brown and black dial versions are seen in both series. Some consider the original orange diver (the 6106-7107 that we reviewed earlier) part of this series but I’ve kept it separate due to its unique case design. Furthermore, the 6119 ushers in a new orange diver under the Seiko 5 moniker, which, again, has some amazing, dial details. Hands do differ slightly amongst some models. Bracelets are often stout, plate-like, designs and are commonly found with the models."

comparing the crystal in mine all appears to check out...and being referred to as the 'sport diver' 

Tips/Market Values: The UFO’s/Saucers are fairly common on places such as eBay. I see a lot of black and brown models and slightly fewer orange models, perhaps owing to the fact that they were only made for the 6119 series. Similarly, the 6106 yellow models are also somewhat less common. For these models, see my yellow piece as an example; expect some fade on the internal bezels and possible chipping on the outer filled bezels. My yellow piece actually came with a yellow internal bezel that has faded to white which gives it a 1970’s Oakland A’s look in my opinion. The orange 6119 I show has its original bracelet and a gorgeous dial; it’s really a sight to behold. One needs to pay attention to the internal bezels again to ensure they work. Also, I’ve had trouble sourcing NOS crystals for these but good aftermarket crystals do exist. This is another model that does well on original bracelet, although the vintage strap I show on the yellow piece does a decent job. Pricing tends to range from about $180 to roughly $300 for great pieces. The UFO’s are nice, easy ways to enter the Sport Diver arena.

interestingly the article seems to confirm that the sushi roll is a different model within the sport diver series, so i can conclude mine is the 'ufo' or 'saucer'

cf the sushi roll

Vintage Seiko

so called due too

the “maki-esque” hour markers on the dial.

conclusion

there was an all range of these seiko sports watches in the 70's with inner and outer rotating bezels and 'only' 70 or 100 w/r but still know as sports divers aimed at the growing recreational watersports during the 1970's.  

vintage Seiko Sport Divers

The First – Seiko 6106-8100

Vintage Seiko

Seiko’s First Orange Diver

The first generation Seiko Orange Monster

Vintage Seiko

If you backed me into a corner and asked me about the subset of watches I own that I enjoy most, you’d receive a surprising answer. You’d likely guess something related to vintage chronographs, Swiss or Japanese, or perhaps higher end vintage Seiko diving watches. While I enjoy either owning or handling those types of timepieces, you’d still end up being mistaken. Readers, my favorite collection of watches are the vintage Seiko Sport Divers.

Vintage Seiko Sport Divers

Vintage Seiko

Now, you’re likely sitting there thinking, what exactly is a vintage Seiko Sport Diver? Well, the definition can be left to some amount of interpretation, but I have a very clear idea about what the Sport Divers mean to me. Specifically, Seiko made many “light” diving watch models in the late 1960’s through the mid 1970’s that were 70M depth rated, and indicated as such on the dial, and contained either an internal or external rotating bezel. Furthermore, they are not hand winding and use Seiko’s magic lever system. By the way, the rotating bezel part is important, as there are other sporty pieces from this time that are marked as 70M water proof or resistant but do not have a diving bezel. The reason for making these pieces is clear; Seiko was providing a tool for those who were taking part in outrageously popular water sports and other outdoor activities.

Seiko made A LOT, as in hundreds, of variations on the Sport Diver theme during this period. Variations come in the form of completely separate models, models with similar cases, but different dials and/or bezels, similar models in different color options, and models that were sold as Seiko’s that were later branded as “Seiko 5”. Also, let’s not forget that the number of model choices was compounded due to the fact that Seiko had the Suwa and Daini factories competing with each other to come up with the most compelling models.

So, why do I like these so much and how will I boil this potentially massive subject down to a reasonably sized article? Answering the first question is easy; I like the vintage Seiko Sport Divers because they are of very high quality and look great, are affordably priced, run like a plow horse, are easy to service, and come in so many great varieties. The second question took some thought, however. I pondered and recalled how Robert-Jan likes to have a chuckle at the endless nicknames given to Seiko watches. So there you have it, this article will focus on the majority of Sport Divers that have obtained a nickname over the years. Coincidentally, these also happen to be the most popular and, generally speaking, valuable pieces. Before I forget, I need to give thanks to the forum members of the SCWF, who helped me recall the various nickname pieces. I’ll provide you with a very brief write-up on the features, variations, and, finally, some buying tips on each featured model. As always, with vintage Seiko, eBay is a popular place to look as well as the forums. Oh, and always ask questions on your favorite forum if you have questions before buying. Now, settle in, crack a beer or grab your coffee as this article has some length: let’s begin!

Vintage Seiko

The First – Seiko 6106-8100

While it’s difficult to verify this with absolute certainty, the 6106-8100 is commonly known as the first Seiko Sport Diver. This watch was issued in 1968 and made for several years. Compared to other vintage Sport Divers we’ll discuss later, this is a very classic looking piece that actually compares well, design-wise, to many Swiss divers of the same era. It contains a domed acrylic crystal and, as an early 6106, only has quickset for the date and not the day. In my opinion, it’s one of the best-looking Sport Divers and because it appeals to general vintage dive watch collectors, it is quite popular. The gray dial appears to be the most prevalent, but I have also seen the watch in yellow, white/silver, and blue. As an unrelated aside, there is a similarly designed 6117-8000 Navigator Timer that’s also fantastic. We’ll cover that model in a future article.

Vintage Seiko

Tips/Market Values: The great thing about these pieces is that crystals and movement parts are commonly available. Seemingly rough looking pieces that have all the right cosmetic parts can be a good buy. Hands, dials and bezels become more difficult to source. You really only need to look out for water damage and severely rotted dials. As far as value, they range wildly. I’ve seen pricing range from roughly $150 to as high as nearly $400 for great pieces. I’m sure the market attributes some additional value for original bracelets, but I do not; they were rattletraps and stretched with ease. These watches do look great on everything from NATOs to vintage ammo pouch straps.

Vintage Seiko

Seiko’s First Orange Diver

The first generation Seiko Orange Monster was a smash hit and it led to a lot of collectors looking for other orange Seiko divers. While there have been several, there’s only one “first”. The first happens to be the 6106-7107 and was produced in 1969 through 1971. The watch features a UFO like case that was later used on the Sushi Roll which we’ll cover in a bit. It has an internal bezel that rotates via use of the time setting crown. Unlike on our previously discussed watch, the Orange Diver contains a Hardlex mineral crystal instead of acrylic. Also, this is one Sports Diver that is usually found on its bracelet.

Tips/Market Values: This is one of the few vintage Seiko Sports Divers that is almost always available on eBay. My biggest piece of advice is to check with the seller that the internally rotating bezel works smoothly for 360 degrees in both directions. The backside of the bezels contain plastic ridges or teeth that, when worn, no longer function. Replacements are difficult. Otherwise, ensure that the hands are correct and do your best to source one with the original bracelet. Pricing tends to fall right around the $250 mark but can sometimes be found for less.

Vintage Seiko

Poor Man’s 62MAS

The “Gene Kranz”

Gene-Kranz-Head-on.jpg

The UFOs/Saucers

Orange-UFO.jpg

The Sushi Roll

Vintage Seiko

The Rally Divers

Vintage Seiko

The Rally Divers are defined as the Sports Divers that contain checkered bezels: full stop.

• Thanks 1
On 06/01/2020 at 20:55, gimli said:

Its a cracker rotating bezel is smooth and spot on. Hands are original faded orange and its so comfy to wear. Like a pair of slippers. Ufo...

1578511853376-525836254.jpg

1578511918464-2118074535.jpg

1578511942574764350119.jpg

157851197039041385671.jpg

1578512015494-407415517.jpg

1578512060786-1977067984.jpg

1578512114169876875996.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, pauluspaolo said:

Had a couple of those in the past - both orange & brown dial - & that looks to be a cracking example. I'd say keep it & enjoy it, if they aren't already these are bound to become collectible. Excellent watch :thumbs_up::clap:

Thanks yes i really like it. :yes: