• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Tazmo61

The New Omega Steel Speedmaster Ed White Cal 321

17 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

There is much to like about this but the off-white markers aren't one of them in my opinion. 

An original Ed White:

f58290cbade6385f1b235ff15b4aa9477246d273

• Like 2

Just now, Daveyboyz said:

Thats patina surely, whereas fake patina is surely undesirable. 

I can see where you're coming from, and I would normally agree, but I think it works on this.

It's now my favourite ever Speedmaster, although I'll never own one :(

• Like 1

I am not into things trying to be what they are not... 

The return of the 321 movement (column wheel Chrono rather than cams)  is surely welcome, and a display back to see if work is appealing also but it's pretty hard to make any significant improvement on your standard moonwatch,  the dial, hands and bezel are good as it gets and discolouring the markers adds nothing good in my opinion. 

I am cynical of the constant special editions and milking of this particular cow... The return of the 321 is no bad thing though. 

6 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I am cynical of the constant special editions and milking of this particular cow... The return of the 321 is no bad thing though. 

You beat me to that comment!  About time Omega stopped relying on a 50 year old event and got more imaginative in my opinion. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ong said:

You beat me to that comment!  About time Omega stopped relying on a 50 year old event and got more imaginative in my opinion. 

Their design and R&D dept should have a "lets pretend the moon landing never happened and the James Bond character doesn't exist" meeting ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like it a lot but not sure I would pay CHF13,000 - even with the cal.321 - for a Speedmaster

I'm not sure I get the criticism of the various LE's as there's usually a market for them and they get sold. Meanwhile, the more 'traditional' speedy variants remain on sale for those not after an LE. It seems to me they are appealing to all sides of the market and making loads of money in the process!

4 hours ago, Caller. said:

I'm not sure I get the criticism of the various LE's as there's usually a market for them and they get sold. Meanwhile, the more 'traditional' speedy variants remain on sale for those not after an LE. It seems to me they are appealing to all sides of the market and making loads of money in the process!

I get your point here , for me it shows the direction of Omega ... they are going after watch collectors and higher end buyers. Personally I think its a shame. In following their "corporate" direction , a manual wind fairly basic watch with plastic crystal cost about four grand just because it's similar to a watch half a century old,,, which is ridiculous. Also many of their "standard" watches have moved out of the price range of many buyers so I just see a previously accessibly watch company gradually becoming something else.

The watch release(s) for me which showed that Omega really are pretty random or reactionary in their marketing was the latest "racing" speed masters.

They were priced for the affluent well heeled watch enthusiast , but styled for the boy-racer TAG buyer ... this was deliberate as a previously agreed branding of another "moon watch" range was abandoned because ( perhaps ironically ) they wanted to draw down the "moony" thing etc etc.

It's all smells to me of indecision and reaction in what is now a confusing market. It was a lot simpler a decade ago I guess.

Still a fan of Omega. Quality watches at reasonable prices can just about be found ... for the moment at least .... :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Caller. said:

I agree, I had a Gemini 4 Limited edition, wish the hell I had kept it! Sell for around £8,000 now 

15751171878_11187b4dd1_o.jpg

• Like 2

I like it , but I think they have priced it out too much ,and only the real purists will bite. Had it been £6/7 k it would seem more realistic.

This is vastly overpriced in my opinion and at 10K you’re surely in the realms of buying a decent condition original? What would you rather have?

I believe it’s going to be a great success

it’s a better watch in every way to it’s seen competitor the Daytona.. the movement commands respect a lovely display back and the price is just about right in its arena not forgetting it has real history.

I also think that Omega may have learnt something from its competitor.

I don’t believe it will be a mass produced item and that in turn keep interest and prices strong.
I can see this selling at a healthy premium and being hard to source and although not a limited edition Omega I believe will not flood the market.

And we are all aware of the hysteria that happens when pieces are scarce people want it even more what they cannot readily have.
The pricing is irrelevant people are happy to continue to pay double RRP on sought after pieces there is No logic to why people pay £20K+for a new Daytona.
We the buyer create the market.

if you are holding out hoping to buy at a discount something that the brand usually commands I feel you may be disappointed but I guess only time will tell

Its a great watch and something the Fans of Omega have been wanting for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Speedy112

I did see a YouTube video the other day(sorry, can’t find it now) and the guy was asking a really important question.... if Omega are trying to ‘Rolex’ themselves, where does that leave the original Hesalite and Saphire Sandwich moonwatches? Why would you have essentially the same product (to the casual observer) at 2 very different price points?

he also alleged that standard mooN watches were getting harder to source.... though my ADs seem to have plenty still.... could this be the end of the line for the moonwatch as we know it?

1 hour ago, Richard734 said:

could this be the end of the line for the moonwatch as we know it?

They cancelled a branding of their "racing" speedies as "moon watches" because apparently test audience research data showed negative bias towards that sort of branding.... If they want to "Rolex" their overall Omega Brand then all they have to do is remove 80% of all their stocks from ADs and lock it away....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard734 said:

I did see a YouTube video the other day(sorry, can’t find it now) and the guy was asking a really important question.... if Omega are trying to ‘Rolex’ themselves, where does that leave the original Hesalite and Saphire Sandwich moonwatches? Why would you have essentially the same product (to the casual observer) at 2 very different price points?

he also alleged that standard mooN watches were getting harder to source.... though my ADs seem to have plenty still.... could this be the end of the line for the moonwatch as we know it?

There does seem to be a huge appetite for the different variations on the theme with different movements dials bezels sizes etc etc etc ..

The Speedmaster has a faithful following and some models are extremely sought after even recent incarnations like the Tin Tin and the Snoopy now command double RRP prices for those who must have them and I see this new release going the same way if they limit demand hence my point earlier learning something from its competitors.

Omega has milked the event to death but I'm sure there will be more to come and the Moon watch can still be bought on the Grey Market New for around £3500 

And lets not forget its a decent watch that still 50+ years on ticks a lot of boxes