• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Tudor crown different heights?

I am interested in a Tudor black bay 36 mm.  I'm talking about the Rolex Explorer type or in my normal price range Seiko sarb 033. 

I've noticed on Jomashop there appears to be an option for the Tudor where the crown sits right next to the case or the more familiar aluminium spacer where the crown noticibly sits away from the watch case.

Is this old and new stock?

I am also confused by the Heritage word. Are they all Black Bay 36mm Heritage or is the Heritage a different model?

Thanks 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tongue right in cheek. 36mm or sometimes less suits me fine. I never feel comfortable wearing a large watch. Which is probably why I'd be better flogging my Black Bay Steel, which @41mm, takes up a lo

Mine is an early one, below it is the latest. Never noticed the difference until now.  

Isn’t the Heritage Ranger the Rolex Explorer ‘homage’ love the Ranger< I think it is a nicer looking watch than the Bays, and if Mrs hadn’t seen what I sold my old MacBook and I[hone for, i wo

33 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Vintage, yes.

Modern, not so sure. That bracelet gap ?

Tudor_Heritage_Ranger_79910_1000.jpg

There is pretty much no example of a squared off bracelet meeting a curved case that is acceptable in my view , with the possible exception of the Breilting Transocean currently....

48 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

There is pretty much no example of a squared off bracelet meeting a curved case that is acceptable in my view , with the possible exception of the Breilting Transocean currently....

At least you have an excuse with a mesh bracelet.

10206077_xxl.jpg?v=1548780317311

11 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

At least you have an excuse with a mesh bracelet.

10206077_xxl.jpg?v=1548780317311

Yes and it also works perfectly in my view .... 

Whilst on the subject of this watch , completely baffling why they don't do a 40mm version !? They would sell like hot cakes .... Almost every Breilting fan I know thinks the 43mm case is just too big.

• Like 1

There is something about the Ranger I just like... both vintage and new, including those lugs and bracelet gap.

however to keep my itch scratched until Timefactors are open again(I have a hankering for the Smiths Everest) I have gone and bought one of these - seiko 5 automatic snk623k1SNK623K1_zoom__49736.1380175609.1280.128

1 hour ago, Richard734 said:

There is something about the Ranger I just like... both vintage and new, including those lugs and bracelet gap.

however to keep my itch scratched until Timefactors are open again(I have a hankering for the Smiths Everest) I have gone and bought one of these - seiko 5 automatic snk623k1SNK623K1_zoom__49736.1380175609.1280.128

Why not just buy a Zeno "explorer"?  Same watch, same company made them.  Just different name on the dial.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

Why not just buy a Zeno "explorer"?  Same watch, same company made them.  Just different name on the dial.

You make a very good point.....with many it is simply all about the Name on the dial.

16 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Yes and it also works perfectly in my view .... 

Whilst on the subject of this watch , completely baffling why they don't do a 40mm version !? They would sell like hot cakes .... Almost every Breilting fan I know thinks the 43mm case is just too big.

I love my SuperOcean 2 its big but just so comfortable on my wrist but Breitling I believe are slowly producing slightly smaller vintage inspired pieces... the Navitimer Aviator 8 Day Date being one that has caught my eye in recent times.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Speedy112 said:

You make a very good point.....with many it is simply all about the Name on the dial.

I love my SuperOcean 2 its big but just so comfortable on my wrist but Breitling I believe are slowly producing slightly smaller vintage inspired pieces... the Navitimer Aviator 8 Day Date being one that has caught my eye in recent times.

I have had a SuperOcean II , and also currently have the 44mm Colt and 46mm Avenger Skyland and they are all perfectly sized. However the Transocean with its minimal bezel and plain dial is just 2mm too big at least. I never understood A. Why they made it that big in the first place and B. Did not produce a smaller version along side it !? 

10 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

However the Transocean with its minimal bezel and plain dial is just 2mm too big at least. I never understood A. Why they made it that big in the first place and B. Did not produce a smaller version along side it !? 

Possibly because potential buyers will look at spec, rather than try one on, and as we all know, 40mm and below, is just not for real men. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

Hey less of that :laugh: my 58 at 39mm is perfect for me 

Tongue right in cheek. 36mm or sometimes less suits me fine. I never feel comfortable wearing a large watch. Which is probably why I'd be better flogging my Black Bay Steel, which @41mm, takes up a lot more room on the wrist than the recently acquired Seiko Mini Turtle @42.3mm.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Tongue right in cheek. 36mm or sometimes less suits me fine. I never feel comfortable wearing a large watch. Which is probably why I'd be better flogging my Black Bay Steel, which @41mm, takes up a lot more room on the wrist than the recently acquired Seiko Mini Turtle @42.3mm.

41mm is my absolute maximum:thumbsup: some of wife's old watches are about 12/13mm:(

Have you put pics up of your new Seiko ?

Edited by Turpinr
42 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

I like the ‘history’ behind the smiths name/Everest connection

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/how-to-collect-smiths-watches

The Zeno Explorer you have probably heard complaints about will have the AS 5206 "new old stock" movement. If I were to buy one of these I would allow for the additional cost of a service, as most of the issues seem to be as a result of poor quality control by Zeno. Not what you want to hear, but if properly serviced the movement is durable, or look for one with a Miyota movement.

Another one worth looking out for is the O & W M65.

2006_1014straps0003e.jpg

Or Kartargo.

kartargo-new.jpg

Edited by WRENCH
36 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/how-to-collect-smiths-watches

The Zeno Explorer you have probably heard complaints about will have the AS 5206 "new old stock" movement. If I were to buy one of these I would allow for the additional cost of a service, as most of the issues seem to be as a result of poor quality control by Zeno. Not what you want to hear, but if properly serviced the movement is durable, or look for one with a Miyota movement.

Another one worth looking out for is the O & W M65.

2006_1014straps0003e.jpg

Or Kartargo.

kartargo-new.jpg

Have you ever bought a Zeno watch?

Last one I purchased was sent with the paperwork timing it’s accuracy and regulation.

8 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Have you ever bought a Zeno watch?

Last one I purchased was sent with the paperwork timing it’s accuracy and regulation.

Yes, but there seems to have been some problems with the NOS AS movement. My point is that there is nothing wrong with the movement, but from my own personal experience, buying something with a NOS movement has not always been good, so for something I particularly wanted, I don't mind forking out the extra to have it serviced for my own piece of mind. 

7 hours ago, Richard734 said:

£400 is a chunk of money that I want to happy spending, as it is I would rather wait for the Smiths to become available.

It’s not £400 it’s made by the same people and the only differences are the movement and the logo on the dial.  There are a few Asian micro brands that do the exact same watch obviously with a different logo but basically the same thing.

Its not a Smiths Everest either the original Everest is a different watch but as you say it’s your money so buy what you like.

Don’t get me wrong Zen, I appreciate the pointer. 
it’s just that I am old school on risk, if there is any doubt, there is no doubt. Given the reviews and the question over the movements, I have decided to wait for the smiths for a while. If nothing changes soon, I may re-assess.