• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Tazmo61

The Genequand Escapement

A short film showing the Genequand escapement in action , and how it actually works .(subtitled)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bernie :thumbsup:

Pretty confident we will see more brands embracing this 'Constant Force' (remontoir d'egalite') technology, along with greater use of silicon being used within a movements.

Hooke's Law...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Watchmakers for centuries have been working to eliminate torque variations in the power delivery of clock & watch mechanisms.  British horologist Charles Haley (1762-1823) was a pioneer in solving the problem of reducing power in mechanisms.  His patent for a constant force escapement was granted in 1796.

Breguet registered a similar patent in 1796. :whistle:

2008 Girard-Perregaux introduced their Constant Escapement...

Later came the Zenith Defy Lab...

George Daniels & Roger Pratt both produced some stunning timepieces with a Double Wheel Remontoir.

It's quite remarkable (too me) that, clearly, inspiration for these later developments have been taken from John Harrison's 'Grasshopper Escapement' (1722).

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thank you , Alan , for your input , very interesting .

The main reason for posting the film was to show , that the constant force type of escapement has now achieved a greater power reserve (1month) . I should have mentioned this in my post . I am already familiar with the GP constant escapement and the Zenith Defy lab , both very interesting .

My understanding of the Remontoir , is that it is an additional spring (which I believe was invented by Harrison during his development on his marine chronometers) that delivers precise bursts of power further down the gear train (normally the fourth wheel)

I know Breguet experimented with the Remontoir , but didn't know he had a patent . I also believe Thomas Mudge used it as well . There is of course two types of Remontoir , gravity(weight) and spring . 

The constant force escapement works on a similar principle . The main difference being that they use a buckled blade attached directly to the escapement .

Same aims but slightly different . 

Thank you , Alan , for the additional information .

Edited by Tazmo61
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the link Bernie...right up my street! :thumbsup:

P.s.

Correction to my original post...Breguet’s patent was lodged in 1798! :whistle:

:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Correction to my original post...Breguet’s patent was lodged in 1798! :whistle:

Thank you , Alan . You are a constant source of information , fantastic :thumbsup: