• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Good morning I am new to the forum but have been a humble lover of watches for a long time... that said I have a question for the experts out there. I am looking at purchasing  a Glycine Airman from an auth dealer and I noticed on the case back where the serial number should be it just has AAAAAA. Anybody have ideas on that? Thanks much!

5 hours ago, Sim1974 said:

Good morning I am new to the forum but have been a humble lover of watches for a long time... that said I have a question for the experts out there. I am looking at purchasing  a Glycine Airman from an auth dealer and I noticed on the case back where the serial number should be it just has AAAAAA. Anybody have ideas on that? Thanks much!

Sometimes this is an indication of a watch that was used for marketing purposes and was not part of the manufacturing-wholesale-retail chain of purpose. If this is true the watch should either have been gifted, or returned to the manufacturer. I would not buy a watch with a prototype serial number handle or over-stamp.

6 hours ago, Sim1974 said:

As it's from an authorised dealer maybe it was photoshopped out for security purposes. Phone the dealer up and ask. 

4 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Sometimes this is an indication of a watch that was used for marketing purposes and was not part of the manufacturing-wholesale-retail chain of purpose. If this is true the watch should either have been gifted, or returned to the manufacturer. I would not buy a watch with a prototype serial number handle or over-stamp.

They emailed me back and said the watch was one of the samples Glycine made??

10 hours ago, Sim1974 said:

Is this still something I should steer clear from? 

It's up to you really ... it would be tricky to move on privately so if you are not worried about that and they give you a decent warranty then no problems.

Ethically on their part, I am not so sure they should be selling it in the first place, but hey ho.

If I was buying it knowing that it would be a regular worn watch and/or daily wearer then perhaps I would take the plunge , but as part of a larger watch collection then personally, no I would avoid in that circumstance.

12 hours ago, Sim1974 said:

Is this still something I should steer clear from? 

Depends on the price. There are some good deals to be had if you shop around.

21 hours ago, Sim1974 said:

They emailed me back and said the watch was one of the samples Glycine made??

I have read of samples not being up to the same build quality as the final version, being mainly a 3D marketing tool.

Thanks for everyone’s input! Looking for a pre Invicta Airman Dc4 but I think I will steer clear of that one!! All in all maybe pre or post the buyout doesn’t really matter. 

ashford.com in US seem to have periodic deals on Glycine - interesting to hear that Invicta have bought Glycine.  

Not sure how price here and there stack up but clearly from the US normally the headline USD figure ends up being the approximate overall sterling cost once p&p and import tax are added - with current exchange rate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sim1974 said:

Thanks for everyone’s input! Looking for a pre Invicta Airman Dc4 but I think I will steer clear of that one!! All in all maybe pre or post the buyout doesn’t really matter. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glycine-Vintage-Analogue-Automatic-GL0071-3904-191H12-TB9/dp/B07PB53F8Z/ref=sr_1_48?qid=1578647748&refinements=p_89%3AGlycine&s=watch&sr=1-48

Thought I would update.... I went for a brand new Airman DC-4 24 hour dial and it is excellent!! Again thanks for all the input it was very helpful!! And I am enjoying the forum

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Sim1974 said:

Well!! I haven’t figured out how to do that yet... 

• Haha 1