• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Problem Printing Out Forum Threads/Topics

Roy has kindly been trying to sort out a problem for me with regard to printing out a selection of my Forum topics and/or complete threads as hard copy.

I am using a setup with a Canon printer, Windows 7, plus Firefox and am having problems when it comes to downloading material obtained through Google to the printer. I go to the relevant thread and click on "Control P" to bring up the printer menu. Once settings are as I want them, I press print or print review and in both cases, what is downloaded for actual printing is merely the first page of my topic/thread and the last few relevant pages, all sequentially numbered but with the middle pages completely blank.

I have tried using the "select all" approach, copying the topic/thread to be printed into Word, but once again, the topic/thread does not download to Word properly and includes blank pages. 

What I don't understand is the inconsistency of the problem. I am able to download some online topics from various sites without a hitch, but the Watch Forum UK and certain other sources seem to block me from printing out copies. Roy himself is not having any trouble himself with this problem, and he mentioned that he uses Google Chrome.

If anyone out there can help me with this, I would be most grateful. I have recently started thinking that I should have hard copies of at least some of my Forum articles, just in case the worst should happen and the Forum machinery breaks down and loses some of its archived material.

• Like 1

I've had problems printing out of Firefox and never really got to the bottom of it. I think it's happened less since moving to Windows 10. Have you tried Chrome? Even if you don't like it for browsing, it would be worth a try just for printing.

If I post anything I might want to keep, I assemble the text first off line in Word and paste it into the forum once it's complete. That way I've always got a copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rather than printing, can you right click the mouse and save the page as a PDF?

You are wise to keep copies.  We have seen how one decision from Photobucket ruined many a forum, losing thousands of images that helped people.  I have also seen websites that have been switched off as the owner either lost interest, didn't pay the hosting fees or fall off the perch.  We are going to see more and more of this type of lost information as the internet evolves sadly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Scott @scottswatches and Norman @spinynorman for your assistance. Most helpful.

As you indicate, Scott, I have noticed that over time, photographs I have used to illustrate topics inevitably tend to disappear, leaving gaps. I therefore do try and compensate by writing a text that is still useful and worth reading...

You have both put forward helpful suggestions and I will pursue the matter more vigorously. I have tended to be a bit "philosophical" about needing to have copies of my topics, perhaps with a bit of low self-esteem thrown in. But now, I am wanting to have a record of at least some of my Forum work on paper, even if it is only me acknowledging myself, so to speak.:biggrin: