• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Saturday, 11th Jan, WRUW? And .... Relax ...

Took this earlier prior to 'relaxing' ...

IMG_20200110_184105676(1).thumb.jpg.a2d4fda1585c153bcc2f8f9353309e9a.jpg

A blur prevention strategy!

I have found these weird spellings like Hawai on other French divers, so may be antiquated spellings.

Lorsa P75 hand wound - gains < 1 min / 24 hr so not bad for a cheapie.

There's a black blob on the lume just under the second hand, but nobody will ever know.

Would it be better if the date wheel was black?  I think if you are looking for the date on your watch, if you can tolerate a date window you can tolerate the contrast that helps it's efficacy, but then again, I am 'relaxed' just now.  Normally I really want a colour matched date wheel.

HAGWE

JJ

• Like 14

Omega Seamaster professional coaxial 300M as its a blustery day with rain in the air. 

IMG_20200111_082949.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

This one for me today....got the weekend off too................................which is nice!

I bought this one a month or so ago.. I used to have a quartz Tissot PRS516 chrono....which I liked ...but of course flipped! Then before Christmas, I bought this auto one , new..It came on a bracelet..Im normally a bracelet fan...but think this looks better on a "sailcloth" strap? (what do you think!?).

First I bought a black strap with red stitching, now I have the navy blue strap....Im quite "surprised"! at how much I like the watch! The dial is a really nice deep blue clour, which seems to "change! colours1 in the light!

20191214-113204.jpg

• Like 13

Morning,

Today, a watch bought years ago as very much DOA, and with the added attraction of a completely splintered crystal which had been ground down on to the the dial. It looked like it had been stood on by a spiked heel, or shot. Or, more likely, both. And if I wasn’t initially sure that I liked the thing, then after seeing it for the first time through its new crystal in all its gaudy awfulness, I was absolutely certain.

However, as my watchmaker took the trouble to get it running, I felt obliged to take the trouble to wear it, so here it is for its annual outing, a once-again fully-functioning steel-cased Orient from about 1970. The dual-language Day (English and, er, Arabic) is set by the pusher at 2.

The Orient crest on dial had been damaged in the assault but smehow the hands and the dial itself had mostly escaped the worst of it. And, like most movements from its homeland, the timekeeping of its 21j 46941 is exemplary.

Regards.

Orient 2020 v.2.jpg

Orient 46941 after v.2.jpg

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, marley said:

This one for me today....got the weekend off too................................which is nice!

I bought this one a month or so ago.. I used to have a quartz Tissot PRS516 chrono....which I liked ...but of course flipped! Then before Christmas, I bought this auto one , new..It came on a bracelet..Im normally a bracelet fan...but think this looks better on a "sailcloth" strap? (what do you think!?).

First I bought a black strap with red stitching, now I have the navy blue strap....Im quite "surprised"! at how much I like the watch! The dial is a really nice deep blue clour, which seems to "change! colours1 in the light!

20191214-113204.jpg

I think matching the stitching with the second hand looks well, and sailcloth is a good look - I am wondering if the texture will give the strap some highlights too, at certain angles.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

blob

My old turtle as turned a bit black blob on the lume. Its a fungus apparantly from being in humid places.

Pop art bobby d. 

1578736595987-615304020.jpg

1578736621483-1556876340.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

My old turtle as turned a bit black blob on the lume. Its a fungus apparantly from being in humid places.

Pop art bobby d. 

1578736595987-615304020.jpg

1578736621483-1556876340.jpg

I like the way the blue dial printing picks up the colour of your veins.

p.s. I did say nobody would ever know about my fungus, and there you are singing about it like a blooming canary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The strap for this Timex was one of those part plastic part steel bracelets which broke, so £25 at WatchGeko and all was well again

r9q4ZPL.jpg

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I like the way the blue dial printing picks up the colour of your veins.

p.s. I did say nobody would ever know about my fungus, and there you are singing about it like a blooming canary.

i forget the name now and cant find the article but it has a cool name something like black fuzz, but i cant find where i read it now, apparently if the dial is exposed to very dry air it can go away.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

black blob on the lume

ive found it its cool to have because its known as “black funk”

https://wornandwound.com/review/affordable-vintage-seiko-6105/

I once worked with a lad called Mark, he had a canary and he used to moan because it would sing all day while he was at work and then shut up when he got in. The odd thing was, it was a red canary, he said, he bought it off a bloke in a pub in Nelson (the Lord Nelson Pub). Well it turned yellow so he went back and said to the bloke in the pub, its turned yellow. The bloke said you need to feed it the right food and sold him a bag of nuts or something telling him it would turn back red. This went on for about a month at a tenner a bag. When Mark got sacked for talking too much about his canary instead of working, it was still yellow. And that is a true story. Last time i saw Mark he was fishing on the side of the leeds liverpool canal, just off the top of carr road in nelson. I never mentioned his canary. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Took this earlier prior to 'relaxing' ...

IMG_20200110_184105676(1).thumb.jpg.a2d4fda1585c153bcc2f8f9353309e9a.jpg

A blur prevention strategy!

I have found these weird spellings like Hawai on other French divers, so may be antiquated spellings.

Lorsa P75 hand wound - gains < 1 min / 24 hr so not bad for a cheapie.

There's a black blob on the lume just under the second hand, but nobody will ever know.

Would it be better if the date wheel was black?  I think if you are looking for the date on your watch, if you can tolerate a date window you can tolerate the contrast that helps it's efficacy, but then again, I am 'relaxed' just now.  Normally I really want a colour matched date wheel.

HAGWE

JJ

I think colour matched date wheels on my seikos are ok but bad to see. On sunday red on black would be impossible for my dad who is colour blind. Making wiring stuff up fun. I think if yours was black against the white internal bezel and the white 9 it might look weird. If it was me id stick a bit of black tape on the crystal to see how it looks. I think you will find it looks better white against the white ring and in black it might look weird. The watch looks good reminds me of a 62mas. Goodness knows why the left an i off hawaii but looking at it an extra i might make it blur into the next bit of white. Have you checked by looking closely to see if a bit of white paint has fallen out of the i marking making it black. If so a tooth pick and white paint will sort it. Thats what people do when all the paint falls out of bezels on old rolex explorers. Also a cotton bud. Dab it on let it dry and scratch off the excess with your nail. I did that with the rolex daytona i flogged my mate and he is none the wiser. 

A couple of cushions*...

Services AERIST ( "Plain [unlumed] Dial") FOREIGN MADE

(by Oris Switzerland, cal.291 4 Jewels, circa late 1940s/early 1950s)

SERVICES-AERIST-DSC_0063-26-DEC.thumb.gif.8a27a0b01d8b3fa6e7f79298eeffb2ef.gif

SMITHS PRS-36 GREAT BRITAIN (Peseux cal. 7040, 17 Jewels)

SMITHS-DSC_0064-26_DEC.thumb.gif.87905b6dc7fdb41a61cb8e4deab4d70b.gif

* & neither of them are fluffy :tongue:

• Like 8