• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
lovingtheclock

Favourite car dials/interiors

Sadly a thread I could not participate in. All my cars have been the usual lump of black plastic with the generic clocks and lamps in the usual places. Though I remember back , when I was in a Sierra cosworth and at the time though the dash was a bit different. The Astra GTE at the time was also very cool. 

5 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

Vincent ?

Yes.

Rollie_Free,_record_run.jpg

"On 13 September 1948, Rollie Free achieved the US national motorcycle speed record at Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah riding the first Vincent Black Lightning. During test runs Free reached average speeds of 148.6 mph (239.1 km/h). To reduce drag, Free stripped to his swimming shorts for the final run, which he made lying flat with his legs stretched out and his head low, guiding the Vincent by following a black stripe painted on the salt bed. The stunt worked as Free covered the mile in 23.9 seconds, passing the 150 mph (240 km/h) barrier and on the return run he reached a record average speed of 150.313 mph (241.905 km/h). This led to one of the most famous photographs in motorcycle history, known as the "bathing suit bike". The American Motorcyclist Association certified Free's record. Innovative features of the bike included the first-ever Vincent rear shock absorber, the first Mk II racing cams and horizontally mounted racing carburettors. In 1950, Rollie Free returned to the Bonneville Salt Flats and broke his own record, averaging speeds of 156.58 mph (251.99 km/h) on the Vincent ."

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Yes.

Rollie_Free,_record_run.jpg

"On 13 September 1948, Rollie Free achieved the US national motorcycle speed record at Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah riding the first Vincent Black Lightning. During test runs Free reached average speeds of 148.6 mph (239.1 km/h). To reduce drag, Free stripped to his swimming shorts for the final run, which he made lying flat with his legs stretched out and his head low, guiding the Vincent by following a black stripe painted on the salt bed. The stunt worked as Free covered the mile in 23.9 seconds, passing the 150 mph (240 km/h) barrier and on the return run he reached a record average speed of 150.313 mph (241.905 km/h). This led to one of the most famous photographs in motorcycle history, known as the "bathing suit bike". The American Motorcyclist Association certified Free's record. Innovative features of the bike included the first-ever Vincent rear shock absorber, the first Mk II racing cams and horizontally mounted racing carburettors. In 1950, Rollie Free returned to the Bonneville Salt Flats and broke his own record, averaging speeds of 156.58 mph (251.99 km/h) on the Vincent ."

I remember reading about Rollie Free in a bike book written by Steve Berry.

"150 in his bathers" as Berry put it.

• Like 1

First dash I remember, Austin 10. The handle in the middle was for opening the windscreen, the lever on the steering wheel was for the trafficators. It didn't have a heater, so the 10 mile journey to the shops in winter often involved travelling rugs and hot water bottles. When my dad got it, it wouldn't pull up steep hills. My grandad came one Sunday and de-coked it and ground the valves in, then it was fine.

austin-10-cambridge_19373.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

I had a 70’s Caddy Coupe De Ville

49368614198_c0bd439958_c.jpg

Now that had a proper interior

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

as a kid in the 70s i used to raid all the other kids toy boxes looking for cars like that. If it was a merc or jag etc i was upset. 

• Like 1

When I was in my early 20's, my friends were opting for GTi badged euro-boxes and listing after impreza's.

I however bucked the trend with a Fiat Coupe 20vt.

This, back in my boy racer heyday was the "nuts" fcd4a343570cb90d28111c545bc9b209.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

250 gto lusso

Image result for ferrari 412 dashboard

On 12/01/2020 at 14:03, BondandBigM said:

49371580603_64cd5fd699_b.jpg

K.I.T.T.

come on bond it didnt really talk and say hello michael :laughing2dw:

but yeh i loved it 

in fact @BondandBigM you are more like michael knight than 007 

a shadowy flight into the world of a man who does exist...

On 11/01/2020 at 18:51, WRENCH said:

My least favourite interior,

bond-bug-control-cabin-photo-vintage-car

they were cool i remember one of those going round nelson in the 70's and a red citroen ds with a rolls royce grille properly grafted into the front 

On 11/01/2020 at 17:39, spinynorman said:

DSC_9803

Christ - that takes me back 50 years.  Borgward if I'm not mistaken.

My grandad had one when I was a nipper.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 12:04, Nigelp said:

as a kid in the 70s i used to raid all the other kids toy boxes looking for cars like that. If it was a merc or jag etc i was upset. 

here is a riddle for you;  i gave up car magazines,  for other hobbys.  in 1938, Detroit  stock Buick Century clocked at 100 mph,   6,000 rpms and  65 mph in low cear.  SO : now,  what is the UK and  Europe  turning to compete with the  US ?   vin

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vinn said:

here is a riddle for you;  i gave up car magazines,  for other hobbys.  in 1938, Detroit  stock Buick Century clocked at 100 mph,   6,000 rpms and  65 mph in low cear.  SO : now,  what is the UK and  Europe  turning to compete with the  US ?   vin

the uk and europe to compete with the us? Seems we are turning electric in new cars...classic market? Hybrids like my Jensen? 

new market seems detached without any need to compete with the us...not so the classic market.  

4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

the uk and europe to compete with the us? Seems we are turning electric in new cars...classic market? Hybrids like my Jensen? 

new market seems detached without any need to compete with the us...not so the classic market.  

the US hybrids  and electric cars and trucks  are not selling very good.   the copetition will still be with gasolne and maybe diesel.    vin

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vinn said:

the US hybrids  and electric cars and trucks  are not selling very good.   the copetition will still be with gasolne and maybe diesel.    vin

same in uk electric wont work like diesel has failed 

but vinn my friend the car manufacturers need something to get gullible punters to buy so the powers that be can then hike the tax or mot or rules...all good fun 

stick to your petrol v8 

3 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

the copetition will still be with gasolne and maybe diesel

im with you vinn the yanks ie your lot now have a chance to compete with the germans globally now we are out of the eu crap...

bring it on mate 

Image result for michael caine get carter

im all for us the uk and you 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Nigelp said:

same in uk electric wont work like diesel has failed 

but vinn my friend the car manufacturers need something to get gullible punters to buy so the powers that be can then hike the tax or mot or rules...all good fun 

stick to your petrol v8 

im with you vinn the yanks ie your lot now have a chance to compete with the germans globally now we are out of the eu crap...

bring it on mate 

Image result for michael caine get carter

im all for us the uk and you 

like i said,  i gave up fast cars long ago.  Detroit  probably will too.   as long as they go totalaly  electric/battery.  vin

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/01/2020 at 16:01, lovingtheclock said:

What are your favourite car interiors and dials? I love 80's digital dash design!

I'll get the ball rolling with this analogue offering! The Lexus IS200/IS300 gauge cluster

IS-200-dials.jpg

Didn't they release a watch with the same dial?

My new favourite dash for a bit

IMG_20200117_093457_556

Although this is a replacement done by a previous owner.  The dash they have fitted is home made, so I have a new factory one on order (6 months lead time!).  The stereo is where the glovebox should be, the glovebox is missing and the exposed crosshead screws are horrid.  Note I set the clock to ten past ten, and the screws on the steering wheel boss to align like a Royal Oak

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vinn said:

like i said,  i gave up fast cars long ago.  Detroit  probably will too.   as long as they go totalaly  electric/battery.  vin

unfortunately true for a bit 

24 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

My new favourite dash for a bit

IMG_20200117_093457_556

Although this is a replacement done by a previous owner.  The dash they have fitted is home made, so I have a new factory one on order (6 months lead time!).  The stereo is where the glovebox should be, the glovebox is missing and the exposed crosshead screws are horrid.  Note I set the clock to ten past ten, and the screws on the steering wheel boss to align like a Royal Oak

my best mate since we were kids lived next door to a lad in the mid 80s who was doing an Elan plus 2 up in his garage, i remember sitting in it in his garage. I dont think he finished it, but i remember the dash having a 'cigar lighter' and him pointing out it was a posh car with a cigar lighter. It was silver and black inside. Ive noticed the raybans on the console you will have some fun in that. Which model is it? Is it a plus 2? nice little list with one at number 2 in c&sc

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/features/20-undervalued-classics-1970s

Classic & Sports Car – 20 undervalued ’70s classics

i can see the cl too.

Thanks @Nigelp Number one undervalued classic!  Cool.

It is a 1969 Elan +2 that has had the roof chopped off.  There are about 70 of these Christopher Neal convertibles about, so I get a rare 4 seater soft top sports car rather than a GT.  All the strength in a Lotus is in the backbone chassis, so loosing the roof doesn't massively alter the rigidity (they are not that rigid to start with!).  I intend on replacing the radiator and fuel tank with alloy ones, reinstating the glovebox for those raybans, and then a possible list of upgrades to make it more 21st century whilst keeping the 60's feel (such as driveshaft CV conversion, remote central locking, and anything else I think Colin Chapman would do)

20191230_112640

• Like 3