• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
lovingtheclock

Favourite car dials/interiors

1 minute ago, scottswatches said:

Thanks @Nigelp Number one undervalued classic!  Cool.

It is a 1969 Elan +2 that has had the roof chopped off.  There are about 70 of these Christopher Neal convertibles about, so I get a rare 4 seater soft top sports car rather than a GT.  All the strength in a Lotus is in the backbone chassis, so loosing the roof doesn't massively alter the rigidity (they are not that rigid to start with!).  I intend on replacing the radiator and fuel tank with alloy ones, reinstating the glovebox for those raybans, and then a possible list of upgrades to make it more 21st century whilst keeping the 60's feel (such as driveshaft CV conversion, remote central locking, and anything else I think Colin Chapman would do)

20191230_112640

Looks in good nick and i like the typical 70s period colour. I thought it was a +2. Can only go up in value so a good choice i think. I would much rather have that than the modern bmw you were thinking of. I didnt know about the convertibles. I remember the one from my childhood having high back seats with integral head rests. That feature stuck in my mind because i remember the lad who had it commenting how he didnt like silver stalks on modern headrests so his lotus seats were perfect for him. Like you do as a kid me and my mate got to sit in it a few times. It was probably 1982 ish id be 10. It felt posh james bond stuff...at the time bond was in the esprit turbo. The lad was probably about 25 and a typical warly 80s yuppy with a big wing 2 door white cossie by about 1987. I dont know what happened to the lotus. I think he sold it at some point. But its a car thats stuck in my memory. Have fun in it im sure you will. 

• Thanks 1