UK Watch Forum banner

Suspense over and a huge thanks to Davey P.

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Nigelp 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
While I was away, dear old @Davey P (Hey!...less of the 'old', I hear you cry! :laughing2dw: ) posted that he had received a package of watches from his B-I-L and kindly offered them up on here. I was lucky enough to be sent one... a Casio Illuminator which looked very interesting. So you can imagine my delight when as soon as I got home yesterday, there was a nice padded envelope sitting on top of my pile of mail, with 'Roger the Dodger' emblazoned across the top. Inside was a carefully wrapped box containing the watch. It looked lovely...typical vintage (probably 20 years +) Casio, and hardly any marks on it and although a bit tight on my stupidly large 8" wrist, I could get the clasp fastened. However, as I had been travelling all day, and feeling a little 'cream crackered', I put it aside until this morning...when the fun started. (I will move this thread to the watchmaking section later)

The watch, and Dave's kind note...

Dave had asked me if I wanted him to change the battery, as the watch was, to all intents and purposes, dead, but as he had already made such a generous gesture, I didn't think it fair to impose any more. I set about removing the caseback.

Once open, it was clear this wasn't the normal 1.5v button cell, but a 3v lithium one.

Luckily, there was no leakage from the old cell and everything looked clean. The cell was a CR 2025 and a rummage through my battery box found a spare one.

BTW, a little bit of useless info if you didn't already know. The code on a Lithium cell refers to its physical size. The first two digits are the diameter in mm, and the second two are the depth or thickness in 10ths of a mm. So a 2025 cell is 20mm in diameter and 25 10ths of a mm (or by moving the decimal point one place to the left, 2.5mm) thick.

The +ve of the battery was shorted to the AC terminal....

The rubber gasket was greased and the back screwed on...

....and now for the moment of truth...will it fire up?????

Yes!!!!! Gettin! Not what I was expecting, but a rather unusual reverse LCD display.

As is usual with Casio modules, it was pretty easy to set the time and date etc. Once I knew it was working, I went to town cosmetically. The bracelet went through the ultrasound machine, and the crystal was polished with Polywatch to remove the faintest of lines and make it shine. The bracelet was brushed with a Scotchbrite and reassembled.

Finally, some posing shots of this lovely little watch...

Oh, and I forgot to mention the subtle green backlight that comes on when the 'Light' button is pressed...There is also the usual countdown timer, stopwatch and alarm, which not only beeps, but vibrates, too.

And of course, the wrist shot.

Many, many thanks, Dave... I owe you one, mate. I know you were as excited as me to see if this still worked, so I hope you are pleased with the result, too.

Davey, being the generous chap he is, wouldn't take any remuneration for this watch so a donation towards the forum upkeep has been made in his name.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice one, Davey, and thanks for showing us those great pics of what is a rather nice Casio number, Roger. I just wondered, Rog @Roger the Dodger, could you just tell me how you flipped up the end of the clip in order to remove the battery in the watch. I have had problems with trying to prise up the end of the thin metal band that holds in the battery on so many digital watches, I would appreciate a heads-up on the knack of doing this. :)

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice one, Davey, and thanks for showing us those great pics of what is a rather nice Casio number, Roger. I just wondered, Rog @Roger the Dodger, could you just tell me how you flipped up the end of the clip in order to remove the battery in the watch. I have had problems with trying to prise up the end of the thin metal band that holds in the battery on so many digital watches, I would appreciate a heads-up on the knack of doing this. :)
There are all sorts of different battery retainers, Honour, some more fiddly than others. With the simple screwed down ones, I hold the clip down with a piece of pegwood or similar while I undo the screw. This stops the clip springing up when the screw comes loose and firing it across the room. Some don't need the screw removed completely...you just loosen it slightly, then swing the clip to one side. Others don't even have a screw...just a spring clip holding the cell in place. With these, it's just a matter of carefully manoeuvering the cell out with your forceps and sliding a new one in under the clip.

The type that Davey's watch had (and this type seems prevalent with the CR xxxx lithium coin cells) has a metal loop that passes under a retaining nib/hook to hold it in place. To remove, apply a gentle pressure on the top of the cell to take the tension off the loop, and with a small screwdriver (or similar) unhook the loop from under the nib to release. Remove the old cell and replace with a new one, then apply gentle pressure on the clip and cell and the loop should click back under the nib/hook. If it doesn't, you might need to help it back into place with a screwdriver. Hope this helps.

In this pic, you can see the square loop on the right and the brownish coloured nib it hooks under in the recess beneath it.

[IMG alt="Related image" data-ratio="77.97"]http://mygshock.com/pics/How_to_Change_Battery_DW-6900_G-Shock.jpg[/IMG]

This short video also shows how to release one of these cages, though I would still apply a gentle downwards pressure on the cage and cell when hooking and unhooking the loop, as it makes it easier to do.

Reactions: Always"watching"
#19 ·
Not really my cup of tea that Casio, on paper, but I really like it and its come up a treat looking as new.

@Nigelp why are those monks feet so large?

When I was in the bank it was in a change function, I never liked going out to see customers as they complained too much about the changes we were bringing in or if there were teething problems. Ingrates, all of em. Now't more satisfying than closing branches and rolling out digital services to pensioners :whistle: :shothead:

Reactions: Nigelp
#20 ·
Not really my cup of tea that Casio, on paper, but I really like it and its come up a treat looking as new.

@Nigelp why are those monks feet so large?

When I was in the bank it was in a change function, I never liked going out to see customers as they complained too much about the changes we were bringing in or if there were teething problems. Ingrates, all of em. Now't more satisfying than closing branches and rolling out digital services to pensioners :whistle: :shothead:
in that case you can be chief monk

[IMG alt="Image result for trappist monk with beer" data-ratio="66.69"]https://www.thetablet.co.uk/UserFiles/images/news/TyntMeadow.jpeg[/IMG]

you can be chief brewer and @BondandBigM chief tester

#21 ·
Caption that pic...

"that's the last of the choirboys through the liquidiser, looks like we're in the clear lads"

Reactions: Nigelp
#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
@wrenny1969 whats ta reckon? 2 grand

[IMG alt="22b5a25bab384b44957796f47e92eae7.jpg" data-ratio="75.00"]https://m.atcdn.co.uk/a/media/w800h600/22b5a25bab384b44957796f47e92eae7.jpg[/IMG]

oofff that sill looks to have some rot

[IMG alt="4796f05b77584f02939877a5900a64c2.jpg" data-ratio="75.00"]https://m.atcdn.co.uk/a/media/w800h600/4796f05b77584f02939877a5900a64c2.jpg[/IMG]

its a 2.5 avus sport though

@BlueKnight should i?

[IMG alt="Image result for trappist monk with beer" data-ratio="66.69"]https://www.thetablet.co.uk/UserFiles/images/news/TyntMeadow.jpeg[/IMG]

"that's the last of the choirboys through the liquidiser, looks like we're in the clear lads"
done

@WRENCH are you religious we've got a group going

why are those monks feet so large?
teething problems

Now't more satisfying than closing branches and rolling out digital services to pensioners
ive just realised how funny that is thats great fancy a job in commercial litigation taking council bus passes of pensioners? Its pure 1989

[IMG alt="Image result for gordon gekko" data-ratio="56.26"]https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/c_crop,d_placeholder_euli9k,h_1204,w_2141,x_0,y_0/dpr_1.5/c_limit,w_1044/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1492115414/articles/2016/03/11/gordon-gekko-inspiration-backs-bernie/160310-collins-gekko-tease_q0ohb7[/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.