• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Richard734

what to buy - India

ok, so i haven't hit India for a while, but I am out there mid Feb this year.

Anything worth looking out for watch wise? limited shopping time/budget, I am meant to be working:)

For exact location - Bangalore, hotel is on MG Road (The Oberoi) and i am happy walking around locally - i have been going there on and off for 12 years! 

2 hours ago, Richard734 said:

ok, so i haven't hit India for a while, but I am out there mid Feb this year.

Anything worth looking out for watch wise? limited shopping time/budget, I am meant to be working:)

For exact location - Bangalore, hotel is on MG Road (The Oberoi) and i am happy walking around locally - i have been going there on and off for 12 years! 

Don't worry about the watches, buy some Diacalm

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

I spend a lot of time out there Mrs W. Never been caught yet

yeh , same as anywhere really , simple precautions = Delhi-Belly ... buy a watermelon from a train station vendor and it could be another story ... 

18 hours ago, Richard734 said:

I was wondering about a Titan? 

Funnily enough I'm sat at work next to my mate Prassad who moved over from India about six months ago and just so happens he's fond of a watch or two. Mainly fashion stuff and smart watches but never the less I've just asked him about Titan and he reckons they're very popular in India.

Loads of Bollywood stars wear them and he tells me they're a joint venture between Tamil Nadu Industrial Corporation and TATA group - his Dad has a quartz moon-phase one that looks nice apparently.

19 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

yeh , same as anywhere really , simple precautions = Delhi-Belly ... buy a watermelon from a train station vendor and it could be another story ... 

I've travelled extensively in South India. Had issues twice and both caused by undercooked food. Stay away from street vendors, local water and ice cubes and all should be well. Incidentally water melons aren't often a problem. 

I love it out there.  Even hitting Bangalore for at least 12 years. My first proper visit with some down time for a year and since I started playing Watches :yes:

30 minutes ago, ong said:

Incidentally water melons aren't often a problem. 

They can be at Train stations .... Vendors have been known to inject them with water to prolong their "shelf life" 

• Haha 1

I went to morroco when i was 10 and it was scary. There was a bull ring just down from the hotel and we were told not to go near, dont drink the mint tea in the madinas, the armed guards on the hotel walls are friendly and if offered a camel or a few camels it means they want to swap for your wife, mum, daugher, girlfriend, mother in law or grandma. 

Which for some might be a good deal

37 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

They can be at Train stations .... Vendors have been known to inject them with water to prolong their "shelf life" 

Yep you dont want a thirsty water melon 

I rang British Telecom a few years back and was put through to india. The bloke on the phone was talking to me and feeding his chickens. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Also chemicals to produce the correct colour in unripe fruits.  Not just in India either... :hmmm9uh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

My Grandad used to say the; Egyptians used to do this during ww2, that he once saw a camel bite a man's head clean off and an unfortunate fall down one of the pyramids breaking every bone in his body. I don't know when he got the time to kill Germans and Italians.

Hyderabad is supposed to be good for pearls and Biryani, so one of my ex colleagues told me once. Shame it's not where you are going. Have fun.

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 13/01/2020 at 17:29, jsud2002 said:

How about a HMT ? 

Another vote for HMT.

Like my Kohinoor here.

large.20191229_161213.jpg.da8c8c2f9b6ccb6682c53940dba7163b.jpg

• Like 1

Buy a HMT, and an Enfield and ride it home.

Cover2.jpg

Buy a HMT, and an Enfield and ride it home.

Cover2.jpg

• Like 1

@WRENCH it's a 10 from me.  HMT is a curious one. Find yourself s dowry watch and just enjoy it. 

My HMT is just a beater, just an honest hand wound watch. It's in the box of stuff from when we moved that is 'valuable' enough to be stored in the house, but I haven6 touched it in 12 months. Shame as it just does what it should

Frantic digging will commence when I'm home!

I have genuinely looked at buying a Royal Enfield and riding it home, but you can’t get the carnet through Pakistan. The only option is to buy in Nepal and come that way. But given the availability of them in the UK now, by the time you add costs and customs, and registration, it’s not really worth it.

i will keep an eye out for any nice HMT, I shall be hitting my favourite street markets while I am there.