• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Strange fault, Tag Heuer 240.306

martinzx

I am hoping someone can help me, I have a vintage Tag Heuer 240.306 dual chrono diver with an ETA 251.252, 27 jewel quartz movement. I have had this watch since 2017 and I really like it.

Recently after a couple of days the one of the chrono hands goes to 10 past for no reason?( see picture1) I don't wear it that often. Since I have been monitoring it,  I have noticed it creeps a few seconds after a day or so (see picture 2) . Almost like the hand is loose. I took it too my watchie who looked only under a loop and said it would not reset to zero if it was loose. It resets perfectly...Any thoughts??

20200113_112713-rotated.jpg

20200114_171720-rotated.jpg

It does sound like wear in the hand martin and it moving on the pivot. But if its only going a max of '10 past' then it could be wear in the hammer or mechanism whatever it is that starts the chrono. I have similar issues with my seiko helmet. I read in the case of the helmet and similar movements that its best to leave the chronograph running all the time because stopping it us like slipping the clutch in a car and wears the hammer. It could be that if the chronograph on your watch has been stopped for long periods that something has worn in the mvmt allowing the hand to slip. Might be an idea to always leave it running that way it might solve any further wear and also the annoyance of the hand not being on zero. 

• Thanks 1

@Nigelp if it was not a dual chrono i could possibly leave running. I did let it run for a few hours and see if that helps any...

@PC-Magician thanks! 

I will keep an eye on it the next few days and see if i happens again. I am pretty gutted i paid 400 euros for it.... 

Cheers Martin 

Edited by martinzx
Typo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, martinzx said:

@Nigelp if it was not a dual chrono i could possibly leave running. I did let it run for a few hours and see if that helps any...

@PC-Magician thanks! 

I will keep an eye on it the next few days and see if i happens again. I am pretty gutted i paid 400 euros for it.... 

Cheers Martin 

I feel your pain but I can trump that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how £8000 -  car trouble.

All sorted but really could have done without any problems in January.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, martinzx said:

@PC-Magician thanks! 

Cheers Martin 

I wouldnt worry to much martin ive had problems with loads of things that are secon hand from cars to watches. I still think you have a lovely watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With a mechanical watch I would wonder if there was a slight friction / colliding between any part of the sweep second and minute hand. The hands may not be loose but just slightly out of alignment. With the crown in the setting position you could try  slowly advancing the time for 12 / 24 hours and if you see the sweep second move at any point then check the position of the hands to see if any contact is being made. If there isn’t it may still help to identify if this is happening at specific times or randomly. 

My only other thought would be if there is an online manual for this model which may have troubleshooting pages for any issues that may arise.

It’s a lovely watch & hopefully there will be a straightforward remedy to give you peace of mind. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gimli said:

I can't understand the problem. One of the hands is loose ? Can you please explain some more ?

Are you talking about the white center seconds hand ? Does it wobble when it's not supposed to run ?

OK I will try... Left unused for several days, the white chrono hands is at 10mins/10seconds past the hour as in picture 1. I reset the chrono hand to Zero and monitored the watch on my wrist over a few days, after a day or two I noticed the white chrono hand at two mins/seconds. I did not say the hand was loose but suggested it might be a logical explanation. In the meantime the watch was examined under a loop by my watchmaker, who confirmed the hands were not loose. No the hand does not wobble.HTH

Cheers Martin :)

26 minutes ago, davidcxn said:

With a mechanical watch I would wonder if there was a slight friction / colliding between any part of the sweep second and minute hand. The hands may not be loose but just slightly out of alignment. With the crown in the setting position you could try  slowly advancing the time for 12 / 24 hours and if you see the sweep second move at any point then check the position of the hands to see if any contact is being made. If there isn’t it may still help to identify if this is happening at specific times or randomly. 

My only other thought would be if there is an online manual for this model which may have troubleshooting pages for any issues that may arise.

It’s a lovely watch & hopefully there will be a straightforward remedy to give you peace of mind. :)

The hands do not touch David. I am monitoring the watch on my wrist and since I ran the chrono hands for several hours and reset it has not happened again so far. But I am still continuing with the test.

I have searched the internet for all manuals I have the ETA 251.252 manual it is great for all parts and diagrams, but basic for instructions.I have posted on the Tag Heuer on WUS for a manual , with no success so far.

I know the Porsche design 911 quartz chrono used the same caliber as in the picture below.

DIAL-CLOSE-UP-01.jpg

• Like 1

Isn't the chrono hand the red one while the white one is just a center seconds hand (if activated) ?

Is it possible that the watch might have a feature where the center seconds hand measures days or something like that ? Does the "issue" always repeat itself the same way ?

Ideally someone should take a look inside. Looking at the hands with a loupe won't tell us anything. Sometimes playing around with the buttons/features might be a telltale sign of some issues but it's a trial and error type thing...

Edited by gimli
  • Like 2

Martin it does sound like an internal fault with the movement to me now and nothing to do with loose hands. It shounds like the movement has developed either free play or an electrical glitch like on a car when the battery goes flat and just beforehand all the gauges jump in the dash. Try taking out the battery and putting in a new one. It could be down on power or there could be a short. It sounds like an electical rather than mechanical issue as its not there consistently. There could be a dry joint in which case you might just have to accept it. Is it cold weather where you are try keeping it in a warm place. It sounds like electrical gremlins to me. 

It could even be a button contact anything you know what electronics are like. A pain in the neck. 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 22:54, gimli said:

Isn't the chrono hand the red one while the white one is just a center seconds hand (if activated) ?

This watch is a dual chronograph, they are called ''Rattrappante'' chronographs so you can measure first and second place in a race for example.

Anyhow the fault so far has not repeated itself. It is now back in the watch box and I will keep an eye on it.

Edited by martinzx