Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

I used to think that - and I use to think hybrids made more sense or that hydrogen fuel cells would become more popular and ultimately prevail.

 

However, I then watched this video and it got me thinking. I rarely have to drive more than 250 miles and I could just charge up over night and never have to have the faff of going to a petrol station.

 

Without a internal combustion engine, the cooling that it needs and a large fuel tank that can’t be as conveniently positioned an electric vehicle can be much better ‘packaged’.

 

I still have a petrol engine car at the moment - but I’m coming to the conclusion that for me at least - electric makes more

 

http://

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s interesting, I thought wireless (inductive) charging was either too slow or a hazard - so apparently science has made a step forward. 

Not sure where I read that but the charging power required to actually charge a car overnight would apparently endanger small animals / toddlers etc. if they get between the charger and the car. 
 

Then again, that might be a welcome protection against martens / ferrets nibbling on the car‘s brake pipe. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with your first sentiment, Steve @WRENCH, and your Betamax comparison strikes a chord with my own feelings about electric cars. For me, there appear to be two almost insurmountable long-term drawbacks to electric cars. Firstly, there is the problem of just how many accessible charging points are going to be available when motorists start buying electric cars in large numbers, and secondly, there is the problem of how we are going to safely dispose of all the used lithium batteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I borrowed a BMW i3 for the day recently.  It is seriously quick - quicker 0-30 than a M4 - and range would rarely be an issue.  But rarely isn't never, and as yet the infrastructure isn't in place.  Plus a new one is £38k, whereas half that would get me a decent petrol car.

Petrol for another few years here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2020 at 21:07, scottswatches said:

Petrol for another few years here

Here's a Hi-tech alternative.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, KAS118 said:

I wonder if this will start the major switch over to Electric https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/new-tax-rules-herald-ev-sales-boom

I think it will for low mileage users. There are a few "e-vans" appearing in my area, but what will happen is that car ownership will become almost impossible for anyone on a low income given the cost of owning these things, although predictions are that prices will become more realistic as production increases. I've spoken to a few people that "own"/drive e-cars, and so far, they're all leased, with the payment costs being linked to annual mileage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Here's a Hi-tech alternative.

 

Do you have a link to his obituary too?  House switches, hillbilly wiring and jam jars.  :hmmm9uh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

hillbilly wiring and jam jars. 

Just think though, that has been made out of junk. If it works, just think what some big manufacturing corporation could do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I think it will for low mileage users. There are a few "e-vans" appearing in my area, but what will happen is that car ownership will become almost impossible for anyone on a low income given the cost of owning these things, although predictions are that prices will become more realistic as production increases. I've spoken to a few people that "own"/drive e-cars, and so far, they're all leased, with the payment costs being linked to annual mileage.

Yeah, I'm working in Sweden at the moment - and there the 'purchase' of a vehicle appears to be quite unusual - it seems most people lease (and I believe in the UK Volvo were going to be introducing this).

This https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/108960/uk-petrol-and-diesel-2035-car-ban-will-include-hybrids-plug-in-hybrids-and-vans might also give a helping hand to the switchover to Electric Vehicles. However, government police does have a habit of changing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we do not have the infrastructure or the generated electrical capacity or home electrical capacity/ facilities  for every one to have a electric car and will not have for some time , so range is only ok/good if you can charge the car .

deano

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2035 is coming!  15 years away.......will have stopped driving by then I think.....:taz:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

we do not have the infrastructure or the generated electrical capacity or home electrical capacity/ facilities  for every one to have a electric car and will not have for some time , so range is only ok/good if you can charge the car .

deano

We haven't even got the infrastructure for trains in the North of England :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there weren't many petrol stations around when the first cars were introduced. Gradual transition to electric vehicles will drive innovation and change. Batteries, motors etc will improve in efficiency and I suppose one good thing is that much of the demand for charging will come from overnight demand?

I'm pretty excited about autonomous vehicles with no steering wheel and a drinks cabinet. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if the UK is lucky,  Boris will stop this non sence.  Trump dosen't like it either.   vin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

I'm sure there weren't many petrol stations around when the first cars were introduced

true, but it was only the privileged and rich who had cars then , common people ran horse and carts , trolly bus or walked, which is what some would like to see  return, until there is a model T electric car for the masses then I see car ownership declining, also don't see electric becoming cheaper to purchase as demand rises un like oil / petroleum did either. I may be biased as a old petrol head :laugh:

deano

 

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

true, but it was only the privileged and rich who had cars then , common people ran horse and carts , trolly bus or walked, which is what some would like to see  return, until there is a model T electric car for the masses then I see car ownership declining, also don't see electric becoming cheaper to purchase as demand rises un like oil / petroleum did either. I may be biased as a old petrol head :laugh:

deano

 

    the Gov. can adjust the price of electricy  to replace the loss of gasoline  plus,  the cost of  hireing more to "run the program".   good luck        vin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

I'm sure there weren't many petrol stations around when the first cars were introduced. Gradual transition to electric vehicles will drive innovation and change. Batteries, motors etc will improve in efficiency and I suppose one good thing is that much of the demand for charging will come from overnight demand?

I'm pretty excited about autonomous vehicles with no steering wheel and a drinks cabinet. 

 

Their introduction is putting or will put the Europeans especially the Germans under massive pressure, hence their shedding many Jobs at Mercedes and Audi...Whilst BMW pair up with Jag...to go electric...via the French. Just what we need now we are in competition with them. The Japanese are likely to be much quicker at Electric and the Americans...and better. Maybe the down fall of the German car industry hence our move to banning the purchase of new petrol and diesel cars 5 years earlier. 

Adding increased pressure on the current position of Germany. 

Edited by Nigelp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Their introduction is putting or will put the Europeans especially the Germans under massive pressure, hence their shedding many Jobs at Mercedes and Audi...Whilst BMW pair up with Jag...to go electric...via the French. Just what we need now we are in competition with them. The Japanese are likely to be much quicker at Electric and the Americans...and better. Maybe the down fall of the German car industry hence our move to banning the purchase of new petrol and diesel cars 5 years earlier. 

Adding increased pressure on the current position of Germany. 

A game of high stakes :thumbsup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

America may be  the only country that stays with gas and diesel  ( except the state of California,  but who cares about them).  what about all those expensive   cars in UK that become illegal? ?    vin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, vinn said:

what about all those expensive   cars in UK that become illegal? ?

Richard Rawlings,

9gvngupy0i9mgyet54sar6cn2qozae1le8phsvi2

has just about completed a trade agreement with Mike Brewer (Arthur Daley department of technical innovation),

38pmta-Y_400x400.jpg

so expect to see some bargains stateside in the next year or so. Keep a look out for low mileage Austin Montegos or Triumph Acclaims.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2020 at 00:37, vinn said:

America may be  the only country that stays with gas and diesel  ( except the state of California,  but who cares about them).  what about all those expensive   cars in UK that become illegal? ?    vin 

They will not become illegal Vin - the proposal is that sales of NEW cars running petrol or diesel will be banned in 15 years time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...