• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

4 hours ago, richy176 said:

They will not become illegal Vin - the proposal is that sales of NEW cars running petrol or diesel will be banned in 15 years time.

4 hours ago, richy176 said:

They will not become illegal Vin - the proposal is that sales of NEW cars running petrol or diesel will be banned in 15 years time.

what about the old and classic cars?   vin

1 minute ago, vinn said:

what about the old and classic cars?   vin

You will not be able to buy a NEW automobile after 2035 with an internal combustion engine. You will still be able to use, run, buy and sell old/classic vehicles. For those of us who are still here in 2035.

I want to know were all this electricity is coming from? to run all this, and together with the banning of gas boilers/heating in new build homes from 2025? were is this extra electric coming from?

deano

9 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

were is this extra electric coming from?

I don't know, but my home has the latest spec insulation, and the heating is off from March till November, and even in the coldest days this winter the heating is on for one hour a day, 1/2 hour in the morning and another 1/2 in the evening. So in theory, the power consumption in new builds is greatly reduced, unless you fill them with gadgets. I agree with the poor thinking 're infrastructure for electric cars. If public transport was even acceptable, more would use it. All new rural housing where I live have solar panels as part of spec, and the local park and ride is undergoing a huge expansion of charging facilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deano1956 said:

I want to know were all this electricity is coming from? to run all this, and together with the banning of gas boilers/heating in new build homes from 2025? were is this extra electric coming from?

deano

The planning doesn't seem very joined up does it, and those with the pen are an odd bunch of; children, celebrities & harbingers of doom where everything needs to be done yesterday. Like others I want a cleaner world and setting targets can help but this new technology isn't cheap and in many cases doesn't yet exist in a mature enough form. The targets need to be achievable and properly costed just like anything else we are asked to sign up-to. Jury is out at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, deano1956 said:

deano

Solar panels are becoming more affordable and battery technology is improving so it should not be long before houses could become self-sufficient for electricity and also charge up a car. A few years ago the social housing in our village had their oil boilers replaced with heat pumps and they apparently work very well. Add in the latest insulation and energy use would fall substantially - just surprising that all this is not compulsory on new builds as it would not add a lot to the cost of a new home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richy176 said:

just surprising that all this is not compulsory on new builds as it would not add a lot to the cost of a new home.

In some areas it is. Local to where I am, a recent new development has car charging points in each home, although it would appear initially to be a trial it's a move in the "right" direction. What goes in the face of all this is the local bus services, especially in rural areas, has been drastically cut, making commuters and shoppers even more dependent on cars. 

Hear pumps have improved a lot, and are much easier to install than the earlier ones.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, deano1956 said:

deano

nuclear power.    vin

2 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

i don't know anything about the UK's reactors.  i know about the one in Finnland and several Russ disasters.  the US history of reactors is well published.   i like the idea of a small one in my pickup truck.  vin

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vinn said:

i don't know anything about the UK's reactors.  i know about the one in Finnland and several Russ disasters.  the US history of reactors is well published.   i like the idea of a small one in my pickup truck.  vin

did not work out well in another car vin :laugh:

deano

Image result for flux capacitor

Image result for flux capacitor

Seems that milk floats are making a bit of a come back. 

https://electricmilkfloats.co.uk/

No road tax, mot or congestion charges and you could make a few bob on the side. 

As I've said previously I could easily use an electric car, work is a 20 mile round trip and if thay could get a couple of hundred miles in one go that would be more than enough. Last summer I saw a German registered Tesla on the A66 and it wasn't hanging about. All it will take is a bit of a rethinking of your travel plans. 

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:06, vinn said:

the Gov. can adjust the price of electricy  to replace the loss of gasoline  plus,  the cost of  hireing more to "run the program".   good luck        vin

15 year plan to elininate deisel and petrol is now down to 12 years.   where will it end ?

52 minutes ago, vinn said:

15 year plan to elininate deisel and petrol is now down to 12 years.   where will it end ?

They are not being eliminated, as I've already pointed out, you will still be able to run existing vehicles, you just won't be able to buy a new petrol or diesel engined car.

21 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

All it will take is a bit of a rethinking of your travel plans. 

The council and BT  "workies" were a bit cold yesterday working at my road end, so they stayed in their vans all day with the motors running to keep themselves warm. Wonder how their battery vans will last with that caper ?

Edited by WRENCH

Once you drive an electric car within it's capabilities (range / charging) you never want to go back to an ICE car. If I could afford a Tesla Model 3 I'd have one tomorrow as for me it'd be perfect, I work at home so commuting is not an issue, any journeys I do are either local or under 200 miles round trip and anything longer is always family based so we'd take my wifes car or just use the supercharger network which is very well integrated into Teslas sat nav / apps etc. by all accounts. Other manufacturers really need to catch up and the wild west that is the non supercharger charging network needs to consolidate and agree payment and socket standards before anything other than Tesla really makes any sense at all.

The leaf we had a few years back sadly had to go as our requirements changed. As the TM3 wasn't then available we plumped for the next best thing and got a hybrid, this was 10 years old when I bought it and is still going strong 3 years later, no sign of battery degradation beyond the single lost bar before i bought it, so I'm not really that concerned about battery life in other vehicles.

• Thanks 1

I can imagine overnight charging will be a breeze if you have a drive and or a garage. What about the on road parkers who maybe can't park in the same place each evening? Charge cables trailing across pavements/hedges/fences? Criminals nicking your juice during the night to charge their vehicles?

I don't think it's going to happen until cars can be fully charged in a couple of minutes at the current filling stations. Battery technology has got a way to go yet. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, julian2002 said:

Once you drive an electric car within it's capabilities

How does running in the winter with the heater full on affect the battery life/range ?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

How does running in the winter with the heater full on affect the battery life/range ?

Good question:thumbsup: and how are all the ancillaries affected when the battery's running out of juice ?

winter running saw about a 10% drop in range from just over 100 miles to just over 90 miles (we had the cheapest leaf). Heater and other ancillaries made very little difference maybe 2 or 3%. so say a variance of 15% to be on the safe side. I'd expect that to be much better on modern longer range cars with better battery heat management.

To add: I think the lowest charge %age we ever got to was 2%, that gave us a warning but didn't effect any actual change in functionality.

Edited by julian2002
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WRENCH said:

With a petrol/diesel car the engine heats water which provides the heat in the car and you have a fan belt that drives the alternator to charge the battery that runs the heater fan. In an electric car you don't have this and therefore need an electric heater that takes power from the same battery that powers the car.

Just now, richy176 said:

With a petrol/diesel car the engine heats water which provides the heat in the car and you have a fan belt that drives the alternator to charge the battery that runs the heater fan. In an electric car you don't have this and therefore need an electric heater that takes power from the same battery that powers the car.

Yes, I am aware of that, but I wondered how much of a difference it made to the battery reserve for propelling the vehicle. In my wife's last car, running in winter with all auxiliaries running it would knock off 6mpg , which equated to a reduction of around 50 miles per tank full.