• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I had a look for how big a wind generator might be for the sole purpose of charging an electric car overnight , assuming there is sufficient wind/ the car needed charging. The article I read recommended a 3.2m wind turbine which seems a little large. There were some assumptions regarding 12 or 15k miles which for many is way over the top. I think we do about 300-350 miles a month now in a petrol car. A 1.6 metre turbine if it ran silently and topped up might suffice, for 4-5k miles a year?, though I think the turbines themselves come in at many thousands of £'s.

Edited by wrenny1969

43 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I had a look for how big a wind generator might be for the sole purpose of charging an electric car overnight , assuming there is sufficient wind/ the car needed charging. The article I read recommended a 3.2m wind turbine which seems a little large. There were some assumptions regarding 12 or 15k miles which for many is way over the top. I think we do about 300-350 miles a month now in a petrol car. A 1.6 metre turbine if it ran silently and topped up might suffice, for 4-5k miles a year?, though I think the turbines themselves come in at many thousands of £'s.

14 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Yes, I am aware of that, but I wondered how much of a difference it made to the battery reserve for propelling the vehicle. In my wife's last car, running in winter with all auxiliaries running it would knock off 6mpg , which equated to a reduction of around 50 miles per tank full.

No idea if this article is really accurate but it suggests winter driving will have a big impact - could be a 41% reduction in range.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/06/aaa-confirms-what-tesla-bmw-nissan-ev-owners-suspected-of-cold-weather.html

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2020 at 14:08, BobJ said:

I can imagine overnight charging will be a breeze if you have a drive and or a garage. What about the on road parkers who maybe can't park in the same place each evening? Charge cables trailing across pavements/hedges/fences? Criminals nicking your juice during the night to charge their vehicles?

I don't think it's going to happen until cars can be fully charged in a couple of minutes at the current filling stations. Battery technology has got a way to go yet. 

The infrastructure is pretty much already there.

In my small court alone which is nearly all flats there are about a dozen car owners and just looking out my front window there are five street lights. Wire in a few charging points from them and the jobs done. Easily enough for everyone to have an over night charge up.

As said it could be done it’s just a matter of a bit of a lifestyle adjustment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

In my small court alone which is nearly all flats there are about a dozen car owners and just looking out my front window there are five street lights. Wire in a few charging points from them and the jobs done. Easily enough for everyone to have an over night charge up.

It would also help if all new houses had to have solar panels and batteries, especially on larger developments as the cost per house would be far lower with bulk buying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

https://pod-point.com/guides/driver/charging-electric-car-at-home

If public transport was brought to acceptable standard things will improve, and the change of lifestyle will be easier. Wonder how many charging points there'll be on the Boris bridge to Ireland ? :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Public transport is like public toilets - full of $hit.

The programmes we see on TV where "ticket inspectors" stake out buses and trains catching people who haven't paid their fares, though I admit this might just be a London thing. Then if you include the odd persons assaulted, like those lesbian ladies, or killed, as recently happened with the guy from Surrey taking his son to a football match.

No, public transport if for the; brave, stupid and those without a choice - I'll stick with my car thank you very much.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

ive never been on a bus, in fact when i was at uni in leeds in 1992, one of the comments in the student magazine was a list of things you never see and at number 2 was 'nigel pate on a bus' I went from otley to uni via my 635 csi BMW. I guess ive never been in the real world. 

Image result for nigelp bmw 635

• Like 2

Never experienced the embarrassment of 'bus lob-on', having to make your way past the pension brigade with a trouser tent caused by the motion of the bus? Lucky man.:rofl:

I loathe buses, the smell, the noise, the other people. Only when I have zero choice will I board the devils charabanc. 

I can see the attraction of an electric car for regular short commutes especially if you have a garage or drive where you can park your car to charge overnight (I have neither!)

However using an electric car on a long run still has severe limitations, even using a supercharger (if you can find one) you are looking at 40 minutes for a Nissan Leaf (to around 80% charge) and about 75 minutes for a Jaguar i-Pace.

Living in London I mainly use public transport but when I do use my car it is typically for longer trips London - Somerset - London for example, I could do it with a Leaf or an i-Pace but would need to charge once for the return journey.

London to Teesside I would have to charge once or twice each way with the Leaf and I would be right on the limit with the i-Pace so would probably need a charge each way for this as well.

I sometimes do London-Somerset-Teesside-London and would need 2 or three charges each way and unless I am driving a Tesla there are no fast superchargers, some charging stations which run at a much lower kwh only allow you 45 minutes charge and say "How far this gets you will depend on the range of your vehicle and the charging speed of your vehicle". Sounds like it is a bit like putting £5 of petrol in the tank!

Great :laughing2dw:

Then there are holidays - rural charging points anyone?!! 

So unless there is a massive increase in the number of superchargers for general use (not Tesla only chargers), with the current (excuse the pun) battery technology, then using electric cars for long distance travel is a non-starter or very difficult at best.

17 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

The programmes we see on TV where "ticket inspectors" stake out buses and trains catching people who haven't paid their fares, though I admit this might just be a London thing. Then if you include the odd persons assaulted, like those lesbian ladies, or killed, as recently happened with the guy from Surrey taking his son to a football match.

No, public transport if for the; brave, stupid and those without a choice - I'll stick with my car thank you very much.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

You need to toughen up a bit

:biggrin:

I frequently use the local buses and trains, they are clean and in the case of the buses mostly new. They are reasonably priced and usually on time so even just to go into Middlesbrough by the time you add in parking cheaper and less hassle than taking the car. The train station is ten minutes walk from my flat and buses go from the top of the road. 

I've never been mugged, assaulted or felt threatened even on the late buses, and for work I get on and off where one of those benefit street programs was filmed. Sure every now and again an inspector jumps on and checks ticket but that's no big deal. Most of the trains especially at the weekend have security on them. 

I could easily live without a car and maybe just hire one now and then if I needed to. 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

You need to toughen up a bit

:biggrin:

I frequently use the local buses and trains, they are clean and in the case of the buses mostly new. They are reasonably priced and usually on time so even just to go into Middlesbrough by the time you add in parking cheaper and less hassle than taking the car. The train station is ten minutes walk from my flat and buses go from the top of the road. 

I've never been mugged, assaulted or felt threatened even on the late buses, and for work I get on and off where one of those benefit street programs was filmed. Sure every now and again an inspector jumps on and checks ticket but that's no big deal. Most of the trains especially at the weekend have security on them. 

I could easily live without a car and maybe just hire one now and then if I needed to. 

My missus jacked in her job in Manchester partly because the trains were full every day and frequently late.

I only use the train a few times a year but they're always late.

Buses are ok though.

2 hours ago, JoT said:

Then there are holidays - rural charging points anyone?!! 

https://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/electric-boost-to-north-coast-500-s-green-credentials-1-4741890

there is a large expansion of charging points in rural areas in my locality.

1 hour ago, Turpinr said:

Buses are ok though.

Buses are fine, I regularly use them to assist people (including a member of my own family) who have lost limbs, and require support to get about there daily life. Nothing like the pictures painted by the red tops and the "circle ****". I seem to remember some headline news a few years ago where a notorious criminal stabbed another road user to death in a road rage incident, I think he was possibly at the wheel of a BMW, or was it Range Rover ? Quite a lot of disabled people ( blind, army vets etc) depend on buses to get around, and it is shameful to discriminate against bus users, but I suppose they're an easy target for those who like to rattle the keyboard from the anonymity of their own safe surroundings.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/electric-boost-to-north-coast-500-s-green-credentials-1-4741890

there is a large expansion of charging points in rural areas in my locality.

Buses are fine, I regularly use them to assist people (including a member of my own family) who have lost limbs, and require support to get about there daily life. Nothing like the pictures painted by the red tops and the "circle ****". I seem to remember some headline news a few years ago where a notorious criminal stabbed another road user to death in a road rage incident, I think he was possibly at the wheel of a BMW, or was it Range Rover ? Quite a lot of disabled people ( blind, army vets etc) depend on buses to get around, and it is shameful to discriminate against bus users, but I suppose they're an easy target for those who like to rattle the keyboard from the anonymity of their own safe surroundings.

I suppose they're an easy target for those who like to rattle the keyboard from the anonymity of their own safe surroundings.

Sun and Mail readers perhaps??

2 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

A long time mate of mine, and confirmed petrol head, has done that very thing. There's a local firm hires out "luxury" cars for £ 50- £60 a day, so he uses them when the need arises. 

You can get this from Inverness to glasgow, with host, and hot and cold drinks, and it's comfortable.

40293182562_dc8505f4ec_b.jpg

IMG_8404.jpg?resize=1200,1600&ssl=1

Edited by WRENCH

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

A long time mate of mine, and confirmed petrol head, has done that very thing. There's a local firm hires out "luxury" cars for £ 50- £60 a day, so he uses them when the need arises. 

You can get this from Inverness to glasgow, with host, and hot and cold drinks, and it's comfortable.

40293182562_dc8505f4ec_b.jpg

IMG_8404.jpg?resize=1200,1600&ssl=1

Free over 60's bus passes for you lucky lads and lasses too:thumbsup:

Not for us in England though, our free bus passes are as far away as state pension age:(

8 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

Sun and Mail readers perhaps??

I would surmise a casual "side swipe" would be more like the correct assumption. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoT said:

London to Teesside I would have to charge once or twice each way with the Leaf and I would be right on the limit with the i-Pace so would probably need a charge each way for this as well.

You could just about do London to Newcastle on a full charge if conditions were perfect - warm day when you do not need heater or air conditioning. However, you would most likely break the journey anyway and many service stations have fast charging points so there should be no problems.

The real challenge will be to have sufficient charging points for the day when we all drive electric.

On 16/02/2020 at 13:24, WRENCH said:

https://pod-point.com/guides/driver/charging-electric-car-at-home

If public transport was brought to acceptable standard things will improve, and the change of lifestyle will be easier. Wonder how many charging points there'll be on the Boris bridge to Ireland ? :laughing2dw:

Johnson's making his bridges out of the same material he used to make his buses, cardboard :laugh:

3 minutes ago, richy176 said:

The real challenge will be to have sufficient charging points for the day when we all drive electric.

Possibly the way to go would be electric vehicles for local transport, and with the correct investment and forward planning/thinking, a decent public transport system (rail) for long journeys. Just imagine if Dr Beeching hasn't had his way, and the railway system had instead of being cut, been invested in and updated, and now all electric. The "Boris bridge" to Nothern Ireland, would possibly make more sense if it were an electrified rail bridge, operating similar to the channel tunnel system.