• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
SeanLaurent

First time poster, I need some advice.

Hello, first time poster here!

I have a bit of an odd question.

I'm 22, currently a business student and I love watches.
I am completely fascinated by them.

I'm putting money aside to buy a very nice watch, I don't know if that will be a graduation gift, a masters completion gift, a wedding gift or a 'just because' gift to myself.. that'll all depend on how long I'm saving and what for.

My father owns a Rolex Submariner Ref: 16800 from 1982, matte dial with tritium hands.

I love that watch and my father has been nice enough to size it for me so I can wear it for a week!

One factor I'm considering when looking for a watch is that I don't want it to be too similar to the Sub but I also don't want to go out and buy something different just for the sake of it.

It's a little morbid but the sad reality is this watch will probably be mine some day, hopefully not for a long long time.

There are a couple watches I love.

Rolex Explorer 1016

Patek Calatrava Chronograph.

Patek Nautilus (and Aquanauts, love both).

Rolex Daytona (Not bi metal).

I also quite like GMTs, Day-Dates, Black Bays, Royal Oaks and Speedmasters.

Those are all varying degrees of expensive.. 

I'm not even including the Rolex Daytona Pulsation Dial I'd love to own or a Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar.. Need I mention the Paul Newman panda dial?

I'm setting aside €100 a week working part time as a shop assistant so I can hopefully afford a grail of mine before I'm 30, or some other arbitrary age.

I don't know if I'm just being a little ridiculous, I mean I might turn around and realise I should have stuck that €20,000 in a pension fund by the time I have it saved up.

My fathers Rolex has been his one watch collection. 

If I was wealthy enough I'd dedicate a room to watches, and another to guitars. 

I think I'm looking at a SS Daytona, but I'm not sure and I'd like to know from others who have saved up for years for a watch, was it worth it?
I won't have this watch before I graduate college.
I won't have it before I start into my career because in reality I'll have around €3000 saved up for a watch that costs close to €20,000.

Am I just fooling myself while I drool over pictures online?
Should I be setting my sights lower?
Will I be lucky enough to have the cash during a recession or when the supposed Rolex bubble bursts? 

I only want to say one thing. If you spend right (whether you go modern or vintage) that money won't be wasted but actually invested.

Your father has a very nice watch and were he/you to sell it you'd make quite a profit...

So, you can buy something nice (that doesn't depreciate) and by the time you retire it might be worth a lot more. This is regarding that pension fund of yours.

You can't really plan these things. We don't know whether or not Rolexes might barely sell in 20-30 years but do your research and I'm sure you'll find something. Yes it's going to cost a few grand but... It's up to you to decide whether you wanna go for it or not.

Do you not own any other watches ? I'd say it's a bit wrong to wait for years and then spend everything on one watch. Imagine getting it damaged or something.. That's gonna cost! Might be good to get used to some "cheapies", maybe something pre-owned which is cheaper but still of good quality.

PS: If a recession happens, you're not going to sell your watch for a profit (unless it's a rare thing that some crazy rich collector covets). Most likely you won't even sell it for what you paid.

Edited by gimli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gimli said:

I only want to say one thing. If you spend right (whether you go modern or vintage) that money won't be wasted but actually invested.

Your father has a very nice watch and were he/you to sell it you'd make quite a profit...

So, you can buy something nice (that doesn't depreciate) and by the time you retire it might be worth a lot more. This is regarding that pension fund of yours.

You can't really plan these things. We don't know whether or not Rolexes might barely sell in 20-30 years but do your research and I'm sure you'll find something. Yes it's going to cost a few grand but... It's up to you to decide whether you wanna go for it or not.

Do you not own any other watches ? I'd say it's a bit wrong to wait for years and then spend everything on one watch. Imagine getting it damaged or something.. That's gonna cost! Might be good to get used to some "cheapies", maybe something pre-owned which is cheaper but still of good quality.

PS: If a recession happens, you're not going to sell your watch for a profit (unless it's a rare thing that some crazy rich collector covets). Most likely you won't even sell it for what you paid.

Thank you,

The point on a recession was basically about buying a watch from someone who has to sell it..

I currently own a Seiko 8M25 8020, an old faded but very cool piece.

I wouldn't be looking at buying new unless I had good reason to aka it would go up in value.. I'll be buying used if possible.

I just know that I've always had expensive tastes!

I'd never have that patience!  By 30 you could be married with kids, and there is no way they will let you spend you hard saved on a watch.  Trust me.

You mention the Explorer, so take a look at the datejust at half the price (used I am talking).

Part of the fun is the research, so do that well and enjoy the chase.  

PS while your father has a very nice watch it is not a collection.  What he has is a watch

With apologies to Father Ted

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

I'd never have that patience!  By 30 you could be married with kids, and there is no way they will let you spend you hard saved on a watch.  Trust me.

You mention the Explorer, so take a look at the datejust at half the price (used I am talking).

Part of the fun is the research, so do that well and enjoy the chase.  

PS while your father has a very nice watch it is not a collection.  What he has is a watch

With apologies to Father Ted

i agree with scott, get on with it and buy something you like thats decent quality and NOW i can recommend vintage Grand Seiko's 60's and 70's a bit different from a sub but some say 'just as good' nudge wink...maybe even miles better. Personally i would never buy modern or indeed new. 

https://www.grand-seiko.com/uk-en/about/history

Edited by Nigelp