• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Speedy112

For those considering a purchase away from your trusted AD

14 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

We are talking chalk and cheese at times ..... you are a well respected super fake sceptic .... but they are out there. 

I’ve got you or maybe that should be your tinternet persona down as lots of things but looks like I also need to add gullible to the list as well 

:whistle:

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

5 hours ago, Turpinr said:

Two of my mates are into Moncler which are faked as much as those Grey Goose Coats coats and Mulberry handbags.

Burberry scarves used to be the most copied item in Britain, remember them ??

Yep Moncler is this years Iceland shoppers favourite bit of snide tat. And again you can spot the fakes a mile away, a few years ago Barbour took a hammering from the fakers as well.

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

I’ve got you or maybe that should be your tinternet persona down as lots of things but looks like I also need to add gullible to the list as well 

Yep Moncler is this years Iceland shoppers favourite bit of snide tat. And again you can spot the fakes a mile away, a few years ago Barbour took a hammering from the fakers as well.

if you wear a "monicle",   are you a fake?   my eye doctor refused to make me one.    it would be good for buying watches.  vin

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Stella McCartney handbags otherwise known as 'inspired bys' are pretty prevalent too.

26 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Moncler,

P00406310.jpg

Monocle,

shutterstock_99784436.jpg

Moncler Genius Backstage

Although to be fair I haven’t seen anybody in Iceland wearing a Monocle or one of these Moncler coats.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Moncler Genius Backstage

Although to be fair I haven’t seen anybody in Iceland wearing a Monocle or one of these Moncler coats.

Wrong Iceland,

15995505_303.jpg

6 hours ago, Speedy112 said:

Boxes Papers and Warranty cards are all far easier to copy than the watches themselves and should never ever be held as proof of a piece being Genuine..

True , but there are only so many examples where counterfeiting of paperwork is worth while for scammers.

So long as a seller of a luxury watch claiming to have "box and papers" has the original sales receipt then its usually safe.

[ As an interesting aside, The Breilting Superocean II 44 counterfeit watches were often so convincing because many of them were being sold on genuine Pro3 bracelets. Apparently the Pro3 supplied with New Watches actually differs in a very subtle way from the stock Pro3s that are purchased from Breilting as an accessory. They got wind of "trouble" when they started selling more Pro3s on their own than they usually would expect. In response, they made a further change to the engraving on the inside of the clasp on the Pro3 whilst leaving the other features alone, again to help try to keep tabs on the counterfeiters. ]

29 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

So long as a seller of a luxury watch claiming to have "box and papers" has the original sales receipt then its usually safe.

Hmm, I beg to differ.

29 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Hmm, I beg to differ.

So you are saying that its unusual for a one owner luxury watch selling with box+papers+receipt to be a genuine watch ?

10 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

So you are saying that its unusual for a one owner luxury watch selling with box+papers+receipt to be a genuine watch ?

You have added in "one owner".

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I have the original sales receipt for most of the watches I have bought new. As far as authenticity goes it means nothing. There are ways of obtaining "original" sales reciepts.

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

True , but there are only so many examples where counterfeiting of paperwork is worth while for scammers.

[ As an interesting aside, The Breilting Superocean II 44 counterfeit watches were often so convincing because many of them were being sold on genuine Pro3 bracelets. Apparently the Pro3 supplied with New Watches actually differs in a very subtle way from the stock Pro3s that are purchased from Breilting as an accessory. They got wind of "trouble" when they started selling more Pro3s on their own than they usually would expect. In response, they made a further change to the engraving on the inside of the clasp on the Pro3 whilst leaving the other features alone, again to help try to keep tabs on the counterfeiters. ]

That's very true the last few higher value pieces that I have purchased in recent years have had the watch serial number printed on the issued Till Receipt and most reputable watch dealers keep the serial numbers and who the watch was sold to dating back many years..but of course that is No guarantee of anything.

1 hour ago, Speedy112 said:

That's very true the last few higher value pieces that I have purchased in recent years have had the watch serial number printed on the issued Till Receipt and most reputable watch dealers keep the serial numbers and who the watch was sold to dating back many years..but of course that is No guarantee of anything.

Sorry to disappoint you but over the years among other watches I’ve bought numerous Rolex, a few Omega and Tags and none of the sellers weren’t  even remotely interested in my name or address I could have told them anything.

Never mind Bond I could have told them I was Batman and they wouldn’t have, no pun intended, batted an eyelid 

Im sure I could have been on that Myth Buster program 

Edited by BondandBigM

4 hours ago, WRENCH said:

You have added in "one owner".

I would A. never buy a used luxury multi-owner watch , and B. never assume a multi-owner watch would still come with the original sales receipt.

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I would A. never buy a used luxury multi-owner watch , and B. never assume a multi-owner watch would still come with the original sales receipt.

We could argue/debate the case inside out till eternity. The sad fact is that the onus falls on the buyer to ensure that they are not done. How many prospective purchasers outside WIS circles would even know where to start, how many "one post members" have there been asking the question " I've just bought this, is it legit ? "  I've only sold one "luxury" watch, and before doing so it was serviced by the manufacturer, this works two ways, in that I had piece of mind knowing that the buyer is getting something with a guarantee, and B, the buyer knows they're getting the genuine article, as in my case they collected it from the AD. I'm never that desperate to take a chance, unfortunately some are, if there wasn't a ready market, fakes wouldn't exist. A £15 Russian Zim is more exclusive in my books than "Frolex". I'm sure there are many who are duped buying fakes, but I honestly think, the majority of purchases are made by those who know exactly what they're getting. 

7 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

We could argue/debate the case inside out till eternity. The sad fact is that the onus falls on the buyer to ensure that they are not done. How many prospective purchasers outside WIS circles would even know where to start, how many "one post members" have there been asking the question " I've just bought this, is it legit ? "  I've only sold one "luxury" watch, and before doing so it was serviced by the manufacturer, this works two ways, in that I had piece of mind knowing that the buyer is getting something with a guarantee, and B, the buyer knows they're getting the genuine article, as in my case they collected it from the AD. I'm never that desperate to take a chance, unfortunately some are, if there wasn't a ready market, fakes wouldn't exist. A £15 Russian Zim is more exclusive in my books than "Frolex". I'm sure there are many who are duped buying fakes, but I honestly think, the majority of purchases are made by those who know exactly what they're getting. 

There are loads of decent trade sellers who buy one-owner watches on the wholesale market and most of their customers would not be "watch-savvy" by our standards. It may be a minefield , but the mines are few and far between if buyers stick to the main streets and do a propriety amount of due diligence.

1 minute ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

if buyers stick to the main streets and do a propriety amount of due diligence.

Exactly.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 14:25, BondandBigM said:

Stone island has also taken a bigger hammering than most, some of us can tell whats what and whats not, if they`re also wearing both shell suit bottoms and shoes or Lonsdale/adidas four stripe you dont even need to scrutinize.:laugh:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Stone island has also taken a bigger hammering than most, some of us can tell whats what and whats not, if they`re also wearing both shell suit bottoms and shoes or Lonsdale/adidas four stripe you dont even need to scrutinize.:laugh:

Some of the Stone Island rip offs are probably better quality than the originals  :laugh::laugh:

13 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Some of the Stone Island rip offs are probably better quality than the originals  :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I do like my clothes and although its popular i`ve never taken to it, shapeless baggy jumpers, and some horrendous looking coats and jackets have seen to that, its not to say they dont make few decent lines cos they do, its just they`ve never appealed to me as an whole, im preparing to be told off by BondandBigM now.:laugh:

• Haha 2

The only clothes shop near me that is buoyant, sells Stone Island, Nigel Cabourn at all. Stock seems to move regardless of how ridiculous the prices may seem.

3 hours ago, sabailand said:

I do like my clothes and although its popular i`ve never taken to it, shapeless baggy jumpers, and some horrendous looking coats and jackets have seen to that, its not to say they dont make few decent lines cos they do, its just they`ve never appealed to me as an whole, im preparing to be told off by BondandBigM now.:laugh:

To be fair ,,,, Bondy has to wear S.I. for when he knows he is going to get into some "bova" .... 

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

The only clothes shop near me that is buoyant

6-BE8564-F-EE32-4515-AC59-B36-A3-D8-B560
sign of the times matey. :whistle:

• Haha 3